Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Regarding the HLE figures against standard 1.0 is pretty much same thing as reliant did in the mid 80s. The standard 848 was 40bhp amd the yellow top HTE I think was 37bhp and a different ratio rear axle. Reliant used the same gearbox I think,maybe some other head differences too but can't remember now!

1 hour ago, chaseracer said:

The Reliant 850 had its roots in the Austin 7 engine, I think, not the A-series.  The common capacity is a coincidence.

Sorry if it came across as I was referring to the engine similarities to being based on that engine,that wasn't what I meant,I think the Austin 7 was the basis for reliant earlier 600 sidevalve too not the ohv.  I was trying to say how reliant did similar except the reliant 850 was the opposite way around,lower bhp on the yellow top compared to higher hp on metro he engine. 

Sorry for crossed wires. 

9 hours ago, chaseracer said:

The Reliant 850 had its roots in the Austin 7 engine, I think, not the A-series.  The common capacity is a coincidence.

Common myth. Reliant did develop the Seven engine a fair bit but the OHV was closer to a Standard-Triumph engine design, but all alloy. Amusingly, that Standard engine also aped A Series capacities of 803 and 948cc.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - bah humbug

Merry Christmas, your comments above about econometers kicked a few brain cells into life as I suddenly had a flashback to one of my CXs having a little strip of lights on the top of the dash pod.

I taught myself economy driving as a broke student with a vacuum gauge in my Austin A30,

37 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

Merry Christmas, your comments above about econometers kicked a few brain cells into life as I suddenly had a flashback to one of my CXs having a little strip of lights on the top of the dash pod.

I taught myself economy driving as a broke student with a vacuum gauge in my Austin A30,

I had to seek help to know what it was when I found this odd switch on my LNA dash!

IMG_20180822_204041 broad Eco light arrow.jpg

IMG_20180803_180431 broad.jpg

What to do on a damp cool Bank Holiday Tuesday, fix your digger of course.

A local agricultural engineer has done a few jobs in the past but has not been well and work stopped. Today he called me to say his son was about and the two of them could come and look at the power steering on our JCB. Mrs6C's internet research led her to believe the power steering oil strainer was blocked and she was spot on. It is a fine metal mesh and the muck was dug out with a screw driver and was given a through clean with petrol.

It became very difficult to starter due to a mouse nest in the air filter being sucked into the inlet manifold. It had been cleaned out and I made inlet manifold gaskets for it. Today the inlet manifold and air cleaner were refitted. 

It started with ease with plenty of smoke but not the black clouds it made with a mouse's nest in the inlet. Now the steering works again, a Christmas miracle with horse power!

My engineer says "I will be back"! but to service and do what he can for a worn out old machine.

IMG_20211228_103116 broad.jpg

IMG_20211228_123159 broad.jpg

IMG_20211228_115635 broad.jpg

IMG_20211228_123728 broad.jpg

IMG_20211228_123652 broad.jpg

IMG_20211228_123655 broad.jpg

IMG_20211228_130046 broad.jpg

IMG_20211228_130548 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - What to do on a damp cool Bank Holiday Tuesday!

I'm going to try to get to that this year - will aim to be there early as both of the previous occasions I've tried to attend they were full by the time I got there.

EDIT: Just been updated by one of the family on the recent climate regarding COVID.  Public gathering in the context of that and not yet been able to get my booster is a hard nope from me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I may have fallen out of a tree and banged my head, I want one of these!