Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, chaseracer said:

A GS at a backstreet garage?  In the 80s?  Now that's stretching 'suspension of disbelief' a bit thin...! ??

Not sure about the Irish flag hanging up in the back either, as Don the garage proprietor has no hint of an Irish accent... but perhaps there is an Irish-French-East End sub-plot to come...

Your patient is currently on the operating table.

Yep...this needed a clean...

IMG_20191103_145947.thumb.jpg.814f5d1aa2ff90912496c60071a262dc.jpg

Have a sneaking feeling that tiny nick in the otherwise fine gasket may well have also contributed to your lack of idle.

IMG_20191103_151823.thumb.jpg.57e78f47431f8f0595efdd8c8618efce.jpg

It's currently enjoying a much needed hot bath in what must be the mechanical answer to a jacuzzi.

IMG_20191103_152837.thumb.jpg.1b2f642b46d30bdc364f3489df2e08f0.jpg

Must be doing something as that fluid was crystal clear sixty seconds before that photo.

it would be interesting to know exactly what that hole in the gasket corresponds to in the carb and see how the missing bit of gasket affected things exactly :) 

interesting how the fluid turned a blood red colour!

I wonder if that was some sort of iron oxide deposits in the bottom of the carb?

I believe that is part of the idle circuit and would normally be pulling fuel through from the float chamber via vacuum from the venturi...being essentially open to atmosphere there would result in no fuel being delivered.  So irrespective of which circuit that was part of the car would run crap with that gasket breached there.

In any case the idle jet it turned out was *totally* blocked, 140psi from the air line didn't even touch it...has to manually poke it clear with a bit of wire.  So no surprise she wouldn't idle.

Main jet 85% clogged. Couldn't even see the hole in the accelerator jet...yeah, she needed some love.

My new gasket is ugly, but should do the job. 

At least once this is refitted she has half a chance of actually running properly I think.

IMG_20191103_180008.thumb.jpg.1dc14bbed70f68cc738c5d4fbc652345.jpg

I hope anyway...rebuilt probably a dozen carbs for myself without any issues, never done one for someone else before though!

5 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I believe that is part of the idle circuit and would normally be pulling fuel through from the float chamber via vacuum from the venturi...being essentially open to atmosphere there would result in no fuel being delivered.  So irrespective of which circuit that was part of the car would run crap with that gasket breached there.

In any case the idle jet it turned out was *totally* blocked, 140psi from the air line didn't even touch it...has to manually poke it clear with a bit of wire.  So no surprise she wouldn't idle.

Main jet 85% clogged. Couldn't even see the hole in the accelerator jet...yeah, she needed some love.

At least once this is refitted she has half a chance of actually running properly I think.

I hope anyway...rebuilt probably a dozen carbs for myself without any issues, never done one for someone else before though!

I have every faith in you and your abilities here! :-)

Many thanks for having done that. If you still have the gasket (broken though it is) then I'll hang on to that as a pattern. It looked very complicated as a design, so well done for having created a new one, especially as the gasket paper we had was more like cardboard!

Your ultrasonic cleaning bath looks very impressive.

21 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

interesting, I could of sworn poking the jets through with a bit of wire was one of the things we tried at the FoD

I must be mistaken or maybe it just blocked itself up again once reinstalled (I would not be surprised given the amount of crud in the carb!)

its always amazing how broken/sad machinery can be, and still "run/function" etc

will be interesting to see what sort of shape the REV's carb is in!

21 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

interesting, I could of sworn poking the jets through with a bit of wire was one of the things we tried at the FoD

I must be mistaken or maybe it just blocked itself up again once reinstalled (I would not be surprised given the amount of crud in the carb!)

its always amazing how broken/sad machinery can be, and still "run/function" etc

will be interesting to see what sort of shape the REV's carb is in!

When something is so badly blocked though only a full strip down will work. Poking jets often just pokes the dirt further along.

edit. X1/9s reportedly often suffer with blocked jets. Touch wood, but mine hasn’t. Mainly because it’s not been messed about with and has always been on the road. Stale fuel can leave a lacquer* when evaporated over time which is what can block the carb jets. 

This jet is tiny.  When we're talking poking through it with wire, we're talking a couple of strands from a bit of flex.  This was after it had been cooking in the ultrasonic cleaner for half an hour and had already had half a can of aerosol carb cleaner unloaded trying to shift it...so it wouldn't have been that easy to shift with whatever happened to be floating around at the FoD.

Main jet is reasonably large, the idle jet is flipping tiny though.  125 Vs 55, though I'm not sure what those numbers actually represent in terms of dimensions...or if they're just a standard used to represent carb jets...

45 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

This jet is tiny.  When we're talking poking through it with wire, we're talking a couple of strands from a bit of flex.  This was after it had been cooking in the ultrasonic cleaner for half an hour and had already had half a can of aerosol carb cleaner unloaded trying to shift it...so it wouldn't have been that easy to shift with whatever happened to be floating around at the FoD.

Main jet is reasonably large, the idle jet is flipping tiny though.  125 Vs 55, though I'm not sure what those numbers actually represent in terms of dimensions...or if they're just a standard used to represent carb jets...

aye yeah defo did not have anything that small, I think we used a strand from REVs broken throttle cable

(I wasn't the one doing the poking, but I was floating around quite closely, as I find all this sort of stuff very interesting :) )

its interesting and worth noting that the Model 70 workshop manual, talks about the Weber 32ICS3 carb, where as Dolly's and every other Model 70 I have seen has a webber 32ICS10

(I dont think I have seen a Model 70 with a Solex carb, and its interesting to note that the DHSS spare parts book only has the weber listed)

this is the only bit of info I can find on what the ICS10 variant is about exactly https://puch500.eokc.at/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1151

I am in contact with a guy who knows all things Steyr puch, but the language barrier makes things hard sadly

perhaps the guys are haflinger technik knows something?

just worth keeping in mind if something does not quite match up between the workshop manual and the IRL carb

10 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

@Andyrew also separated the old broken coil for its bracket for the CX and repainted the air filter assembly. Again thanks very much.

Are you channelling your inner Johnny Cash and getting @Andyrew to repair the CX one piece at a time? :-)

I turned up at @Andyrew workshop with a rattling exhaust heat shield about to fall off on the black Alfa 156 so this is now in the boot! It is an Alfa so the driver door open button choose that moment to stick in so the door would not close, WD40 failed but 3 in 1 managed to get it working again.

I then tried my luck to see if he could stop the drivers knee pad falling down that covers the fuses, no is the answer, but then the combined design and manufacturing skills of Alfa Romeo never managed it either! 

IMG_20191107_145411heat shield broad.jpg