Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

1 minute ago, richardmorris said:

Perhaps you could bring the D with the enormous dent again?

That is a sore point, I have had the dent repaired but there are horrible fissures opening up, the company who have repaired it are refusing to do anything about it on the grounds it is not there fault because the paint underneath was the wrong type. 

IMG_20190726_093025 broad.jpg

On 7/28/2019 at 8:38 PM, Six-cylinder said:

I have been talking to the farmer who is having our hay and he is going to try and cut and bail it this coming week.

THAT MEANS - we have 10 acres to play in!

I am thinking of a tinkering day focusing on getting the big toys out, digger, dumpers, tractor and horticulture truck. The only weekend I have free in August is 10 and/or 11th.

Is anybody free to help me?

Add me to the list....could a small green Kawasaki make an appearance? We even have one in pink now!

Mrs6C had complained that the brakes on her ZX TD estate has failed with a wooden feel and lack of stopping power 3 times. I took it to my favourite garage and the brakes worked just fine, but I left it there to be checked anyway. The brake servo hose had rubbed though and split, it was good they found a reason for the braking problem. While it was there it was given a full cambelt service as the cambelt was last changed 30,000 miles and 5 years ago. We have now owned it 8 years and it does daily use.

IMG_20190802_132843 broad.jpg

A friend came over today and the plan was for us to help each other move a couple of cars. He has always been enthusiastic about our BX GTi and while we were making the arrangements last night quizzed me what was needed to return it to the road. I had to admit that since my Citroen experienced mech had gone on the long term sick list I did not know. The head gasket was changed but the cooling system needed refilling which I had tried to do but felt there was still air in it. I checked the water today, it needed 1/2 Ltr so I guess some air has finally found its way to the top. It keep its cool during a 20 min test drive. The heater controls are out at the moment but that does not stop it driving. 

This is where we veered of course in the quest to check the BX was ready to take to a small event Tuesday evening, my friend who may own up decided the most important thing to do was to change the wheels for the 16V ones I stole off the AS 19RD estate bike!

IMG_20190803_141332 broad.jpg

IMG_20190803_113942 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

There's a definite family resemblance there and the ZX hatch looks a lot like a squashed BX to me. The XM on the other hand is completely different yet still unmistakably Citroen.

There's a thread on here somewhere that shows the SM next to the XM and shows how the style of the former influenced that of the latter...

There was a Dutch XM parked next to us at FOTU and I was talking to the owner about the styling. I'd never really thought about it but he pointed out the SM influence, especially the kink in the rear windows. I think the XM is a fabulous looking car and the closer you look the more interesting details you spot.

We have had a lovely day out at the Citroen GS/A rally (18 GS/GSA + other Citroens and Renaults) at the rural life centre at Tilford near Farnham, 150 trouble free miles in our GS except I plonked this morning putting petrol in at Aylesbury and left the fuel cap on the pump. Mrs6C had to make a temporary one for the journey home out of cling film and a elastic band as she did not have any sticky back plastic! The original cap was successfully collected on the way home.

IMG_20190804_115111 broad.jpg

IMG_20190804_184715 broad.jpg

Woo! Looks like ill be able to attend the 10/11th gathering for both days :) 

for those wondering my personal plan is to replace the twist grip on my Invacar and then replace all the perished fuel lines on said invacar, and then just spend the rest of the day and the next running around the field in my Invacar and having a good time with the other shitters :)

(maybe if there's time also have a look at  the electrics and getting more of the exterior lights working etc)

on that note @BorniteIdentity did you get a chance to see if your old Mini tyres are still around? I Think  @Mrs6C has got a wheel/tyre that holds air for her Model 70

but I just wondering if your tyres would be any less of a blow out risk then the badly cracked and bulging tyres on REV (well at least 1 tyre is badly cracked and bulging and I think the rest ain't too healthy either)

I obviously plan to get some new tyres for when its time to hit the public highway but I figured for (literally :mrgreen: ) field testing I could at least try and find something that's a bit less of a blowout risk :)

31 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Mrs6C had to make a temporary one for the journey home out of cling film and a elastic band as she did not have any sticky back plastic!

You forgot the bit about having to wash the cling film with soapy water first because it had been used previously to wrap the (delicious!) tuna mayo sandwiches! :-)

22 hours ago, hairnet said:

chris just throws an anchor out the back :D

He doesn't need an anchor as well - he is absolutely the man you want at the end of the rope on your tug o' war team! :-)

Doesn't blow away in a storm! :-)

Last drive in the Nova today, never mine but for the last couple of years I have had the keys and permission to drive it when I want. The owner has decided to sell it as he never uses it and has taken it back, then will sell it at Beulieu Autojumble. In spite of having done 56k it always felt like a new car and I sold these new.

IMG_20190806_103609 broad.jpg

IMG_20190806_103556 broad.jpg