Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

One bucket wrong un  ffs - needed it cos of some southerners that took advantage :P

Did the bike too

IMG_20200913_121719.jpg

You’re one of the few I’ve seen with the boot rack the correct way round! 

I’ve also given @Six-cylinder a new* air filter housing for the 2cv as his is being held together with self-tappers and hope.

7 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

The Astravan proved popular especially after the PAS self cured!

Over the weekend how many miles do you think it drove around our 10 acre field with different people trying it.

P1120997 broad.jpg

I know what it roughly was yesterday.. about 143.5? 

That pas fix is great! The rough running just have shaken the alternator awake and restored juice to the pas pump 

6 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I’ve also given @Six-cylinder a new* air filter housing for the 2cv as his is being held together with self-tappers and hope.

It was like this, the new air filter was in the Trevi at @Zelandeth house so could not be fitted. Zel arrived in the Trevi this afternoon and I arranged for him to be chauffeur driven home  in a Daimler, but he requested to drive himself in the 2CV instead!

So first I had the car and no air filter and now I have the air filter and no car!

1 minute ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Er, no. I was there yesterday.

Today I was with the horses all day, so unless someone out there is impersonating me with the sole purpose of coming to the FoD on a Sunday......

I'm sure I briefly saw you (nipped in early). 

Your doppelganger is looking very well sir... 

Yesterday the Trevi was started up four times and driven three.  It behaved on all of them.  This morning, as I was planning to head back to its home with it...refused to idle again.  Arse.

I've now established that the issue is definitely in the drilling between the solenoid and the idle screw.  So they were both removed and large quantities of carb cleaner were sprayed through.  If my compressor wasn't currently dead I'd have blasted the hell of of it with compressed air. 

After a clean out again today it returned to being willing to idle.  Still not running quite as well as yesterday it feels like, but perfectly drivable.

I went around the car to attack a few key areas with Vactan, and to apply a temporary patch to the rust spot on the roof.

IMG_20200913_120835.thumb.jpg.a875c4c6a87feca70ffa8232b437d794.jpg

I noted when applying the Vactan that this had made a couple of pin holes into the roof space and figured as this is definitely right up there in the list of places you don't want the rain getting into that a patch was needed.

Then we finished off the basic clean...

IMG_20200913_120917.thumb.jpg.e939fe9f93f97f553b38af02893d749e.jpg

IMG_20200913_120900.thumb.jpg.8b7f4be890b20917fef66948e59b19fa.jpg

IMG_20200913_132538.thumb.jpg.d7721937e7bd777dbd77de0c4a030c97.jpg

Before returning her to her rightful owner.  I reckon she will make a return to my driveway when a couple of new parts have been sourced, but she's home for now.

Just irked the carb chose to play up again...I was pretty confident I'd cracked it yesterday!

Also realised when I got home that my camera mount is still stuck in the rear window.  Oops.  Will grab that next time I'm over that way.

While I'm not aware of any immediately necessary mechanical jobs now the greasing routine has been fun through, this little motor is in need of some polish and wax action as she's turned completely matt as white cars tend to...so we'll be busting out the big box of cleaning supplies over the next couple of days.

IMG_20200913_171216.thumb.jpg.e40cd4344b4aa0b0e19bc7c1acb60971.jpg

The windows desperately need cleaning...discovered that the first time I tried to turn out of a junction with the sun in my face.

I've heard a lot of people say that driving a 2CV is like riding a bike in terms of you remembering things quickly, and once the one inevitable "Is that 2nd?...No, that's 4th..." Moment had passed the rest of the trip passed uneventfully with me wearing s huge grin.  I'd forgotten what fun cars these are.  This is dangerous has it's definitely got me pondering one again!... Exactly as I feared!

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

Yesterday the Trevi was started up four times and driven three.  It behaved on all of them.  This morning, as I was planning to head back to its home with it...refused to idle again.  Arse.

I've now established that the issue is definitely in the drilling between the solenoid and the idle screw.  So they were both removed and large quantities of carb cleaner were sprayed through.  If my compressor wasn't currently dead I'd have blasted the hell of of it with compressed air. 

After a clean out again today it returned to being willing to idle.  Still not running quite as well as yesterday it feels like, but perfectly drivable.

I went around the car to attack a few key areas with Vactan, and to apply a temporary patch to the rust spot on the roof.

IMG_20200913_120835.thumb.jpg.a875c4c6a87feca70ffa8232b437d794.jpg

I noted when applying the Vactan that this had made a couple of pin holes into the roof space and figured as this is definitely right up there in the list of places you don't want the rain getting into that a patch was needed.

Then we finished off the basic clean...

IMG_20200913_120917.thumb.jpg.e939fe9f93f97f553b38af02893d749e.jpg

IMG_20200913_120900.thumb.jpg.8b7f4be890b20917fef66948e59b19fa.jpg

IMG_20200913_132538.thumb.jpg.d7721937e7bd777dbd77de0c4a030c97.jpg

Before returning her to her rightful owner.  I reckon she will make a return to my driveway when a couple of new parts have been sourced, but she's home for now.

Just irked the carb chose to play up again...I was pretty confident I'd cracked it yesterday!

Also realised when I got home that my camera mount is still stuck in the rear window.  Oops.  Will grab that next time I'm over that way.

While I'm not aware of any immediately necessary mechanical jobs now the greasing routine has been fun through, this little motor is in need of some polish and wax action as she's turned completely matt as white cars tend to...so we'll be busting out the big box of cleaning supplies over the next couple of days.

IMG_20200913_171216.thumb.jpg.e40cd4344b4aa0b0e19bc7c1acb60971.jpg

The windows desperately need cleaning...discovered that the first time I tried to turn out of a junction with the sun in my face.

I've heard a lot of people say that driving a 2CV is like riding a bike in terms of you remembering things quickly, and once the one inevitable "Is that 2nd?...No, that's 4th..." Moment had passed the rest of the trip passed uneventfully with me wearing s huge grin.  I'd forgotten what fun cars these are.  This is dangerous has it's definitely got me pondering one again!... Exactly as I feared!

Please do lots of pervy washing shots. I need some inspiration to give my xsara a 'well done for passing your mot/pre winter mild detail' before the weather turns to complete toss