Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

A slow Saturday here at Six-cylinder towers at 2°C outside, I have done a bit on the BMW 3.0S. Yes picking the heads off rust bubbles grinding and rust converting. I have also been grinding the paint off the Velosolex ready for a hand repaint.

Tomorrow's outside temperature is likely to be the same tomorrow so there will be more grinding, filling, smoothing and painting in the garage at 10°C. If anybody is bored you are welcome to join me at the house rather than the FoD. There might even be biscuits! 

IMG_20221210_130656 broad.jpg

IMG_20221210_124829 broad.jpg

IMG_20221210_131953 broad.jpg

IMG_20221210_132851 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - If anybody is bored come and join me in my garage Sunday

It's a bit too chilly down here in Kent to do any up the end of the garden Minor fettling today.

I often get quite miffed that I am 115 miles away from your ledgendary hospitality as a bit of a chat while playing with old cars is probably just what a lot of guys need right now.

More power to your elbow Sir.

22 minutes ago, Joey spud said:

It's a bit too chilly down here in Kent to do any up the end of the garden Minor fettling today.

I often get quite miffed that I am 115 miles away from your ledgendary hospitality as a bit of a chat while playing with old cars is probably just what a lot of guys need right now.

More power to your elbow Sir.

A chat about old cars, nothing but slave labour here. I having to do my own work now and I wish @Ghosty was here as I am afraid to take the head stock apart because in the past I have struggled with run away ball bearings!

IMG_20221211_122004 broad.jpg

The garage is integral to the house and never seems to drop below 8°C.

The garage has 3 small radiators to frost protect it, but we can afford to use them as they are off the oil boiler.

For the garage I used to have a Calor gas room heater but when I had a friend do some spraying in the garage he did not want the naked flame. Now the Calor heater has stopped lighting and the gas is more than double the price.

We did install 3 electric panel heaters for painting, but I am now afraid to switch them on because of the cost of electricity.

5 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

We did install 3 electric panel heaters for painting, but I am now afraid to switch them on because of the cost of electricity

The cost bothers me greatly too with electric heaters. I wear thermals, additional layers and a hat with the heaters on the lowest setting gauging the temperature by how cold my feet and nose get. The real test is how big the dew drop gets on my nose, that indicates beer-o-clock! 🥶

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I wish @Ghosty was here as I am afraid to take the head stock apart because in the past I have struggled with run away ball bearings!

Shouldn't be too bad - if it's anything like a normal bicycle, the bearings should be caged and will only fly out and go everywhere if they're knackered. The lower one should drop out with the fork, and the top one will stay in its race. 

23 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Shouldn't be too bad - if it's anything like a normal bicycle, the bearings should be caged and will only fly out and go everywhere if they're knackered. The lower one should drop out with the fork, and the top one will stay in its race. 

IIRC both the top and bottom bearings are caged.  It should be fine. 

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Minus 12c here last night and expecting similar tonight. It's OK though as I am leaving at 3am to take a trailer load of pigs to market 200 miles away (the things I do to help my neighbour out!).

I have a big oil fired blown air heater in my big shed but my tyre changing shed had a bit of flooding in the storms a couple of weeks ago. Not found any significant damage so far, but it is a bit damp in there. My friend fitted a chinesium diesel heater to his shed and reckons it is brilliant, so I have ordered one myself. It is 5kw, 12v powered so will run off a battery and of course will run on heating oil which I have. My friend reckons it uses about 3litres/day in his shed so with 5kw it is probably the cheapest form of heat available. @Six-cylinderand @Snake CharmerI will document its installation and use on my thread. It may well be an economical solution for you guys.

8 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

My friend fitted a chinesium diesel heater to his shed and reckons it is brilliant, so I have ordered one myself. It is 5kw, 12v powered so will run off a battery and of course will run on heating oil which I have. My friend reckons it uses about 3litres/day in his shed so with 5kw it is probably the cheapest form of heat available. @Six-cylinderand @Snake CharmerI will document its installation and use on my thread. It may well be an economical solution for you guys.

Which one have you ordered?

On 11/12/2022 at 18:06, Saabnut said:

It is 5kw, 12v powered so will run off a battery and of course will run on heating oil which I have. My friend reckons it uses about 3litres/day in his shed so with 5kw it is probably the cheapest form of heat available. @Six-cylinderand @Snake CharmerI will document its installation and use on my thread. It may well be an economical solution for you guys.

Just this week I found a local source for red diesel and started thinking of these heaters again. I always fancied trying one with a view to having one in each workshop but the outlay compared to my electricity usage at the time would not have seen a return for ages. How times change.

23 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

10L Air Diesel Heater 5KW Night fuel Heater LCD Remote for Car Caravan Truck Car | eBay

Was £99.95 when I ordered at the beginning of the week. Should arrive Mon/Tues so will see what it is like

I like the idea I can use in the house garage now and it can go to the FoD to warm chilly shiters.  

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

10L Air Diesel Heater 5KW Night fuel Heater LCD Remote for Car Caravan Truck Car | eBay

Was £99.95 when I ordered at the beginning of the week. Should arrive Mon/Tues so will see what it is like

8kw ordered for £107.59, delivery before 19th Dec

Add a proper power supply, an Afterburner controller and you then have the ability to control it from anywhere in the house from your computer or phone, so you can pre-heat the room before venturing out there.  The Afterburner also had a proper frost-protection mode inbuilt - something I've been quite thankful for when we've had a frost unexpectedly and I've realised that the water heater in the van hadn't been drained yet!

14 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Add a proper power supply, an Afterburner controller and you then have the ability to control it from anywhere in the house from your computer or phone, so you can pre-heat the room before venturing out there.  The Afterburner also had a proper frost-protection mode inbuilt - something I've been quite thankful for when we've had a frost unexpectedly and I've realised that the water heater in the van hadn't been drained yet!

I really wanted the self contained box one, but in spite of lots of listings none were available so I just bought the kit designed to be installed and will find something to mount it on with its tank and pump.

@jamescarruthers Spotted your 480ES D828CPV in the snow thread for the first time today. In 1987 I worked for the Aylesbury Volvo Dealer and we were sent D873 CPV a red 480ES as a demonstrator by Volvo. It was unallocated to a member of  staff and I often got to take it home.

I liked it so much the next 480ES demonstrator we put on the road, a smoked silver one I persuaded my boss that I could have it as my company car. I was responsible for ordering stock cars for the dealership and kept ordering black 480s, my boss asked why until 1st Aug 1988 when I had a new black 480ES as my company car. As the 1st was a Sunday I took it home on trade plated and was excited to have it.

Feb 1989 and Volvo sent us a 480 Turbo in Artic blue. By default as the staff member who ran the 480 I got it as my company car and absolutely loved it.

Then things changed the dealership could only get one 480 a month and they decided not to run one as a demonstrator as we could easily sell them and I ended up with a 240GL Estate, but that's another story.

Move forward to 2010 and I bought my own white 480ES, I loved it but one of my sons wanted it and I let him have it. I have had pangs of wanting another one but so far have managed resist!

40C02417-CA5A-43F6-BBF2-814CCA2C3A31.jpeg.17fba69f8c958763f2f2f3ceb891f051 trim.jpeg

Demo 480 D reg broad.jpg

CVS Volvo 480ES E718 XWL.jpg

CVS Volvo 480ES F775 HBM black.jpg

Demo 480 blue met.jpg

DSCN6276.jpg broad.jpg

23 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Minus 12c here last night and expecting similar tonight. It's OK though as I am leaving at 3am to take a trailer load of pigs to market 200 miles away (the things I do to help my neighbour out!).

I have a big oil fired blown air heater in my big shed but my tyre changing shed had a bit of flooding in the storms a couple of weeks ago. Not found any significant damage so far, but it is a bit damp in there. My friend fitted a chinesium diesel heater to his shed and reckons it is brilliant, so I have ordered one myself. It is 5kw, 12v powered so will run off a battery and of course will run on heating oil which I have. My friend reckons it uses about 3litres/day in his shed so with 5kw it is probably the cheapest form of heat available. @Six-cylinderand @Snake CharmerI will document its installation and use on my thread. It may well be an economical solution for you guys.

I've got one of those chinese diesel heaters and I can recommend them. The only good thing, I've found, that came out of China.

49 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

@jamescarruthers Spotted your 480ES D828CPV in the snow thread for the first time today. In 1987 I worked for the Aylesbury Volvo Dealer and we were sent D873 CPV a red 480ES as a demonstrator by Volvo. It was unallocated to a member of  staff and I often got to take it home.

I liked it so much the next 480ES demonstrator we put on the road, a smoked silver one I persuaded my boss that I could have it as my company car. I was responsible for ordering stock cars for the dealership and kept ordering black 480s, my boss asked why until 1st Aug 1988 when I had a new black 480ES as my company car. As the 1st was a Sunday I took it home on trade plated and was excited to have it.

Feb 1989 and Volvo sent us a 480 Turbo in Artic blue. By default as the staff member who ran the 480 I got it as my company car and absolutely loved it.

Then things changed the dealership could only get one 480 a month and they decided not to run one as a demonstrator as we could easily sell them and I ended up with a 240GL Estate, but that's another story.

Move forward to 2010 and I bought my own white 480ES, I loved it but one of my sons wanted it and I let him have it. I have had pangs of wanting another one but so far have managed resist!

40C02417-CA5A-43F6-BBF2-814CCA2C3A31.jpeg.17fba69f8c958763f2f2f3ceb891f051 trim.jpeg

Demo 480 D reg broad.jpg

CVS Volvo 480ES E718 XWL.jpg

CVS Volvo 480ES F775 HBM black.jpg

Demo 480 blue met.jpg

DSCN6276.jpg broad.jpg

Excellent, thanks for that. I must have spotted it before on here as I have you in my “Launch Car” list!

https://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36281&hilit=Launch

It’s great to see your 480s. The blue turbo is particularly beautiful. 

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - My Volvo 480 History