Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

8 minutes ago, grogee said:

This is 2022! What are they doing trying to flog this? Those figures are shocking! 

Who buys this and not a Leaf with 200+ miles range?

Oh yeah, twats, that's who. 

I am hoping to get an electric Fiat 500 for 3 day. Claimed range 199 miles so it will be interesting to compare.

26/27 March First FoD of 2022

What we are doing.

• Triumph Toledo - fit the parts I have and check what else I need to buy.
  • Take the cylinder head off the Carlton 2.0i Club estate to check the damage.
  • Make a couple of the mopeds run.
  • If you have a project you would like to tackle please let me know.
  • Work on you own car/stuff
  • Drink tea and chat.

If the grass is very wet we can park on the hard standing in the yard

All subject to weather as I see no pleasure to be there in pouring rain and a howling gale.

IMG_20211111_113912 broad.jpg

IMG_20210819_113818 broad.jpg

IMG_20211009_145553 frame and parts broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 26/27 March First FoD of 2022, The plan so far!

A nice car day today started with taking my Clio to storage and collecting my BX.

My cordless tyre pump played up, but I have taken a cigar lighter electric air pump to leave in storage which was a good plan.

The BX is now with my garage to be MOTed  next week.

I collected the Mercedes 230TE. A cup of tea was provided with the old calliper discussion. It had a new brake calliper fitted and now the brakes don't pull. The exhaust was repaired and does not blow now. I had the Auto gearbox serviced, oil and filter change. The gearbox is definitely smoother now. 

I have done 100 miles in the 230TE today and had two people ask if they could buy it!

IMG_20220310_101011 broad.jpg

IMG_20220310_101650 broad.jpg

IMG_20220310_101440 broad.jpg

IMG_20220310_104523 broad.jpg

IMG_20220310_104342 broad.jpg

IMG_20220310_111805 broad.jpg

IMG_20220310_121427 broad.jpg

19 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have been driving about in the W123 estate again today, I got this fellow to guard it while it was parked!

IMG_20220311_122227 broad.jpg

I've heard at night if your walking down the road after 2am he comes after you with his big knife and chases you. But when he's just about to catch you, he vanishes... 👀

I always turn up the Horwood road to go to mums just to avoid it 

The sun is shining and I'm too scared to take an angry grinder to the hopefully surface rust on the Focus so I'm still titting about with the scooter.

It doesn't have a key so I've now bypassed the ignition and fuel cap locks.  Currently you switch the ignition off by disconnecting the jump lead to the battery.  I found some wires that had been cut under the seat so reconnected them and now the starter works.  Still won't start though, plug looks good but isn't sparking and the fuel in the tank isn't coming through.  On the plus side if those bits put it in the scrapyard then the engine might be ok.

5 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

The sun is shining and I'm too scared to take an angry grinder to the hopefully surface rust on the Focus so I'm still titting about with the scooter.

It doesn't have a key so I've now bypassed the ignition and fuel cap locks.  Currently you switch the ignition off by disconnecting the jump lead to the battery.  I found some wires that had been cut under the seat so reconnected them and now the starter works.  Still won't start though, plug looks good but isn't sparking and the fuel in the tank isn't coming through.  On the plus side if those bits put it in the scrapyard then the engine might be ok.

It's not modern enough to have some immobiliser nonsense involved on the ignition side of things is it?  

58 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

It's not modern enough to have some immobiliser nonsense involved on the ignition side of things is it?  

If it was Japanese it probably would but the security on Chinese stuff is that nobody wants to steal it.

I've looked and can't see much, can't remember Chris' one having anything special on the key and there's nothing that looks like security behind the ignition switch.

17 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

If it was Japanese it probably would but the security on Chinese stuff is that nobody wants to steal it.

I've looked and can't see much, can't remember Chris' one having anything special on the key and there's nothing that looks like security behind the ignition switch.

Fair enough.  Assume these use CDI for spark rather than an old school magneto?  If so and that appears to have both power and a ground that probably would be my first port of call.  The no-name clone modules for Hondas (at least ten years ago!) were so flaky that a mate used to carry a spare in the luggage compartment - but they were like 20% the cost of the actual Honda part so changing it a couple of times a year still made sense.

From memory some of them ground through the frame too, so that might be worth a look.  Again I'm working from 10+ year old memory here as I've not touched anything like this in forever!

1 hour ago, catsinthewelder said:

The keys for the other Bikes Direct machine are very plain.

IMG_20220312_213121 broad.jpg