Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I took the 230TE to a small car gathering in Milton Keynes this morning, it was an absolute joy to take out. I think it just looks great and somehow old Mercedes just suit me so well.

Yes it is a running project but this morning I forgave it its blowing exhaust and all its other issues.

IMG_20220206_101501 broad.jpg

Blimey, that's a diverse selection of old motors! Good to see them out in all weathers though. 

Today started well, I collected the E320 Coupe with a fresh MOT and serviced. The instrument lights work again just as @richardmorris said they would with a good twist. The radio was dead and the garage took it out and could find nothing wrong  with the wiring so put it back in and it works fine.

On the way home I was thinking what a lovely drive it was, but the left indicator started blinking very fast. When I got home and checked if the problem was front or back the whole front unit was missing. Remembering crashing down a pot hole when meeting a car in a lane and having to pull to the edge of the road I went back to look. I found it, but unfortunately it was broken so I have had to order a new one. 

IMG_20220210_110813 broad.jpg

IMG_20220210_130025 broad.jpg

IMG_20220210_130226 broad.jpg

IMG_20220210_131614 broad.jpg

IMG_20220210_144351 broad.jpg

37 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today started well, I collected the E320 Coupe with a fresh MOT and serviced. The instrument lights work again just as @richardmorris said they would with a good twist. The radio was dead and the garage took it out and could find nothing wrong  with the wiring so put it back in and it works fine.

On the way home I was thinking what a lovely drive it was, but the left indicator started blinking very fast. When I got home and checked if the problem was front or back the whole front unit was missing. Remembering crashing down a pot hole when meeting a car in a lane and having to pull to the edge of the road I went back to look. I found it, but unfortunately it was broken so I have had to order a new one. 

IMG_20220210_110813 broad.jpg

IMG_20220210_130025 broad.jpg

IMG_20220210_130226 broad.jpg

IMG_20220210_131614 broad.jpg

IMG_20220210_144351 broad.jpg

That’s the third one it’s had then!! I am sure I had cable tied the last one in place! I think it must be the copy wings not being exactly the right shape. Radio I don’t know- it’s always worked for me - came out of Anna burmajsters pluriel.

3 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

That’s the third one it’s had then!! I am sure I had cable tied the last one in place! I think it must be the copy wings not being exactly the right shape. Radio I don’t know- it’s always worked for me - came out of Anna burmajsters pluriel.

Check the spares box, there may be and indicator in it that is slightly less battered.

17 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

In spite of the warnings of doom I would still like a Pluriel, but make it a 1.4 manual please.

17 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Check the spares box, there may be and indicator in it that is slightly less battered.

I have checked hoping for a orange bulb without any luck as I thought I could tape it back in and keep using it. I found the other indicator unit in the boot but fitting clip is broken. 

1 minute ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have checked hoping for a orange bulb without any luck as I thought I could tape it back in and keep using it. I found the other indicator unit in the boot but fitting clip is broken. 

I think there are orange chromed bulbs in there too. I did what you’ve done last time it fell orf. Ordered a new set and went back to find the lost one. Carparts fr less about £12 a pair

On 2/6/2022 at 1:49 PM, Six-cylinder said:

I took the 230TE to a small car gathering in Milton Keynes this morning, it was an absolute joy to take out. I think it just looks great and somehow old Mercedes just suit me so well.

Yes it is a running project but this morning I forgave it its blowing exhaust and all its other issues.

IMG_20220206_101501 broad.jpg

Phwoar that Astra!

(Words I never thought I’d say.)

8 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

No, that headlamp connector is two in one. The front bit to the headlamp bulb, and the plastic bit on the back is the connector for the side repeater wiring. Sorry, I’m not good at exposing things especially after a Sunday evening.

Is the headlight connector not 3 plate pins not two round ones?

6 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Yes, but it blew the bulb bouncing on the ground.

Ok. Forget the bits that fell off. What is left on the car needs rewiring. The exposed wires need refitting to the back of the main two pin connector- I said I’d cable tied this together - looks like that broke the  wing repeater wiring when the lamp unit fell off. The new unit you have bought will have the headlamp holder.

Wanted SHIPPING CONTAINER!

We need some more water proof storage at the FoD and are giving consideration to a 40 ft shipping container. I am shocked at the price which seems to start at £2250.

Anybody know of a less expensive shipping container for sale bearing in mind it will have to be transported to Milton Keynes area. Consideration could be given to a 20ft container if the price was right.

container 40 ft 01.jpg