Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

Forgot to offer @quicksilver and @Slowsilver a merry Christmas before they left. @Slowsilveralso came up with a cracking idea (gromit) for An app. HayEwe - hay on demand for the sheep on the go. And no he hadn’t been drinking ( just inhaling chocolate nibbles).

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes
2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I remember pulling out of Leigh Delamere services onto the M4 on the way back from picking it up - nailing it from 30 to 70* in third gear it sounded absolutely glorious.

I remember doing about 130 on the Autobahn some years ago, hitting the limiter on the 75 V6 and a 3.2 came absolutely screaming up behind me. Always fancied one ever since.

Sorry, yes sorry to the shiter who I asked to exercise my BMW 735iSE at the FoD which promptly suffered brake failure!

Today I collected it repaired and it turns out a rear brake pipe has rusted at a point where a metal clip held it in place. It now has a fresh MOT. We have had it 14 years now and it was a pleasure to drive it again.

IMG_20211216_123816 broad.jpg

IMG_20211216_123959 broad.jpg

IMG_20211216_124103 broad.jpg

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Sorry, yes sorry to the shiter who I asked to exercise my BMW 735iSE at the FoD which promptly suffered brake failure!

Today I collected it repaired and it turns out a rear brake pipe has rusted at a point where a metal clip held it in place. It now has a fresh MOT. We have had it 14 years now and it was a pleasure to drive it again.

It’s like a mobile worther’s original .

It's really nice seeing the Activa getting tucked away safely for the winter.  Just something I could never offer the car.

It occurred me when following it today that I'd never actually *seen* the Activa script in the high level brake light illuminated, despite having owned the car for however many years it was!

Still uncanny watching it go round corners though!  Probably stranger to see in a following car rather than when you're in it, as you're honestly not aware of the system doing its thing other than the car just sticking to the road unfeasibly well and being able to change direction faster than electricity.

The Beemer is really nice actually.  Don't think I'd ever driven a 7-series of that era before.  I liked it a lot more than I expected.  Really interesting comparing it to Mercedes products of the same era, while there are a lot of superficial similarities the character of the cars is totally different.  BMW is far more direct, obviously being aimed at someone who wanted a luxury car but who actually enjoys the act of driving.  Whereas Mercedes are much more about just wafting effortlessly between your origin and destination.  Steering is the most dramatically different thing really, Mercedes it's a ship's tiller basically...very little feedback or effort required.  Whereas in the BMW it's a bit heavier and has vastly more feedback.  I'd happily take either for a long drive, but if it was down a twisty road the BMW definitely would be the more fun car to drive.

On 16/12/2021 at 14:41, Six-cylinder said:

Oh that was @AnthonyG and me!

Knew something was very wrong! But very glad it’s fixed now, it’s a lovely thing to drive!