Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

We didn't do any overtaking as our pace was set by a Herald 13/60 and 60 as in bhp!

This was the trip where the guys from the Triumph Sports Six Club went above and beyond and helped me get the Vitesse out and fix the brakes so I could make the trip.

The Vitesse did alright, 260 miles for the day. Job for the future is to improve the gear change as finding first is very tricky.

I also need to find a new hood tonneau cover because of some mouse!

IMG_20220611_104523 bring.jpg

IMG_20220611_080535 broad.jpg

Impressive panel gap! 

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Yes caught him and made him put it back!

My BMW E3 has never been right and yesterday I drove it and it was terrible, loss of power and badly misfiring.

This morning was about fixing that and I had a new Mechanic look at it for me.

The list:

• One choke stuck on
  • Timing to advanced
  • points gap a little tight
  • The elect fuel pump was to high a pressure for the carbs so he removed it and went back to the mechanical one which works fine.
  • Front carb opened before the rear one.
  • Vacuum retard disconnected as the new carbs do not have a connection for it.
  • Cleaned Distributor Cap and rotor arm
  • Found rust hole in radiator cap
  • One stud on the carbs has a striped thread.

I runs much better, but we are going to need a round 2. It set off on the test drive with no power then picked up but still had a slight misfire.

IMG_20220615_103551 broad.jpg

IMG_20220615_130102 broad.jpg

@Slowsilvercame over this afternoon and worked on the mower tyre.

Then it was playtime! 

I have had the Toledo 4 door for a week and done nothing with it.

The car came with a broken hinge that had pulled out of the very rusty bonnet. Today we found the other hinge was seized and bonnet would not sit down properly. This had us changing the bonnet with the 2 door Toledo to get the 4 door ready for the road.

It started easily, but after a few minutes it cut out and would not restart. Just 5 minutes later it restarted as if nothing was wrong. It cut out and restarted after a pause several times. A bit of diagnosis from Slowsilver showed the input voltage to the coil fluctuated. We run out of time to consider what to do with it next...............

IMG_20220615_172026 broad.jpg

IMG_20220615_175918 broad.jpg

IMG_20220615_175603 broad.jpg

IMG_20220615_175604 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Temporary Incoming!
3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I don't know if it was because I only bought Cavaliers and Carltons I found a swarm of Astra's gathering outside my house!

IMG_20220614_104306 broad.jpg

I’ve got an odd soft spot for this gen of Astra, god knows why. Perhaps it was remembering seeing some spy shots for it in one of the weeklies. Looked much more “Teutonic” than the previous. 

I have fond early 2000s astra memories, as my grandparents moved from 20 years of Nova ownership, with Grandad having a G reg astra for a spell as a work shitter into an new Astra! (current shape at this point in time) X reg 1.6 club. I remember going with them to pick it up and trade Granny's J reg saloon Nova Luxe against it. Coming back Grandad got it up to a ton and declared it very fast. 

Probably the last time it ever did a ton in their ownership, one of the reasons they moved to Hyundai after 5 years was the fuel economy and they 'don't need such a fast car' 

Cant imagine the astra had more than 30k on it when they got rid. The Nova was on less then 45k and granny owned that from under a year old, she used to drive more then though, I remember her blazzing about in it and the Green nova with carbs they had before that. 

It's a shame all vauxhalls are shit really as I have had them alot in my life 😂 I'd not kick a cheap one out of bed either, as you say @Ghosty they must cost pennies to run and maintain ad are comfy and fast enough to be a good An Car

There's a tidy looking metallic aqua green one I see around the office too, it's quite nice in that specific colour 

7 hours ago, Longbridge Apologist said:

I’ve got an odd soft spot for this gen of Astra, god knows why. Perhaps it was remembering seeing some spy shots for it in one of the weeklies. Looked much more “Teutonic” than the previous. 

I had one of these at a couple of years old 1.6 16v, very capable but tedious, predictable and reliable, exactly what I needed after an experience with a launch model mk2 Laguna Dci...

I own up I have broken Andyrew's Allegro.

The clutch had a variable bite and I thought it might be air in the hydraulics so I bled it. That left it without enough movement to disengage the clutch.

Andyrew came over to see what I had done to his car!

We tried to take off the master cylinder but could not undo the metal pipe. The metal pipe is a larger diameter to the brake pipe I have so making a new one was not a quick fix. Rather than risk it Andyrew took it all off with the slave and pipes. He has taken it to his workshop to see if he is able to separate the parts, clean and rework the cylinders. 

Stay tuned for the next episode!

* As his first older British car Andyrew has no AF spanners. If you have some lying around doing nothing getting in the way you could always give them to him.*

IMG_20220618_175722 broad.jpg

IMG_20220618_183205 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD opening 2/3 July any interest?
1 hour ago, Crackers said:

Did you say you needed some heavy machinery to smooth out the field? 😁

IMG_20220619_164420.thumb.jpg.7f24dcb8e5cadef0e86ac9bae82fb5a4.jpg

That's get it perfect! The kids do keep asking when we can drive on the field proper again. 

Somewhere out there is Charlie's tiny torch from when we camped 😂 Dickhead took it with him then promptly dropped it. Lu kilt it's made of the finest cheapest amazon chinesium so shouldnt damage anything if it gets mowed over