Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

On 6/6/2022 at 2:13 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Thanks for all your prep work in the container. The next step is to cut down the shelving uprights so they fit.

The other thing I would like to do next time is empty and clean the Vauxhall Royal. Also to see if we can start it. I will then decide if I am going to get it back on the road myself or sell it on.

IMG_20220503_161312 broad.jpg

IMG_20210804_102652 broad.jpg

Gosh I haven't thought about or seen one of these since I was a kid!

A legacy from when I worked in London many years ago was a trip to Pinner last night in my MGB GT. It got put away Oct 2019 and woken up last week, I am so pleased it managed the 100 mile round trip last night with no problems. 

It is part of the reason I keep it is that it is so easy to own, parts are readily available and I love the way it looks.

@AnthonyG the hand brake is useless and I have asked my favourite garage to take a look at it.

IMG_20220607_202430 broad.jpg

17 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

The pretty metal valve caps on the Alfa 156 had bonded to the valve threads and trying to get them off I twisted the centre out of a valve. I booked it with a local tyre centre to have 4 new valves and  gingerly drove it there not knowing how much pressure was in the tyres.

He then pointed out 3 were at the end of their lives and the forth was half worn and old.

The result is 4 new Matadors as that was all he had in stock.

I have now bought a big bag of plastic valve caps!

IMG_20220607_102223 broad.jpg

Have you sold it yet now its got 4 brand new tyres to help its value? 😂

17 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Have you sold it yet now its got 4 brand new tyres to help its value? 😂

I drove the 156 V6 yesterday for some errands and it is a delight to drive so is not being sold. Also Mrs6C says no!

And yes that is my DS receiving some rust repairs. We have owned it 13 years.

IMG_20220607_132334 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

A legacy from when I worked in London many years ago was a trip to Pinner last night in my MGB GT. It got put away Oct 2019 and woken up last week, I am so pleased it managed the 100 mile round trip last night with no problems. 

It is part of the reason I keep it is that it is so easy to own, parts are readily available and I love the way it looks.

@AnthonyG the hand brake is useless and I have asked my favourite gage to take a look at it.

IMG_20220607_202430 broad.jpg

Funnily enough my mate who bought my MGB off me took it for its first run in a couple of years at the weekend, and that also managed 100 miles with no problems.

Love the age range in that photo.  Just need an M-type Midget and a ZS EV and you'd have nearly the whole spectrum.

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Love the age range in that photo.  Just need an M-type Midget and a ZS EV and you'd have nearly the whole spectrum.

According to yesterday’s Times, MG now have 3% of the market, more than Mini, Volvo, Citroen or Volvo.

They (along with Hyundai/Kia) are the only mainstream brand to have increased sales this year. Hyundai and Kia sold 80,000 vehicles last year between them and now have 11% of the market.

MG were described as a ‘British heritage brand’ and the article did point out everything is now made in China. 

Chris neglected to mention the modernz were invited to the Jubilee display as well: 

48A32F1D-8D59-4ACD-A859-FFD0537473E5.jpeg

The 90’s  TVR Chimera at the top of the row was being revved up by the owner to the delight of small children and elderly men. The black Jag F type looked a bit of a weapon as well. 

Its a shame no one bought a BRG Freelander 2 as we could have staged Prince Philip’s last driving adventure* with it. Cue jokes about white Fiat Unos…..

14 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I drove the 156 V6 yesterday for some errands and it is a delight to drive so is not being sold. Also Mrs6C says no!

And yes that is my DS receiving some rust repairs. We have owned it 13 years.

IMG_20220607_132334 broad.jpg

I guess it's GELled? Vitesse looking sharp too!

Today I have had been trying to get the Sebring sorted ready for Shitefest 2022. Sometimes it won't start, if you release the pressure from the fuel line and reconnect it will start. After a couple of goes doing that it now starts most of the time, but is not right and needs fully diagnosed.

IMG_20220609_150441 broad.jpg

IMG_20220609_153205 broad.jpg

4 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Are you sure you want to take a convertible?  You do know Shitefest is in north Wales right?

I have driven though Georgia USA in a Sebring convertible with the rain so heavy I could only see 30ft in front of me. I think I will manage in North Wales.

25 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Jeep, Invacar, JCB and temporary road all got shifted to cut the grass.

tickles me that out of the 3 mentioned only 1 has actually been called by its correct name LOL :) 

also glad to hear my complaint about the grass around Dolly being unfairly un-mowed has been handled, you can pass my compliments to your employees :mrgreen:

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Driver in LHD car gets undertaken because dawdling in lane 2?

We didn't do any overtaking as our pace was set by a Herald 13/60 and 60 as in bhp!

This was the trip where the guys from the Triumph Sports Six Club went above and beyond and helped me get the Vitesse out and fix the brakes so I could make the trip.

The Vitesse did alright, 260 miles for the day. Job for the future is to improve the gear change as finding first is very tricky.

I also need to find a new hood tonneau cover because of some mouse!

IMG_20220611_104523 bring.jpg

IMG_20220611_080535 broad.jpg