Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

20220519_130356.thumb.jpg.6ce8c9a43b4f432c091c4265bf134857.jpg

Got the 4 best ones left. Of the others one was broken and the rest are too wide to fit in my car. 

Keith's had all the really good new ones now I'm afraid, could always crowbar his compost heap apart, but I'll keep an eye out. Got 2 nice grey royal mail post trays on Tuesday that had been in the bin area for a few weeks. Gave them a wash and their now my camping_shit boxes hopefully 👍

Today I collected my 2CV with a fresh MOT.

I took it to Zels to drop of the Bedford CF diesel pump for him to see if it can be saved. Also I took him yet another rotor arm and HT leads for the never ending story of poor ignition components for Trevi's poor running.

IMG_20220520_155654 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today I collected my 2CV with a fresh MOT.

I took it to Zels to drop of the Bedford CF diesel pump for him to see if it can be saved. Also I took him yet another rotor arm and HT leads for the never ending story of poor ignition components for Trevi's poor running.

IMG_20220520_155654 broad.jpg

Hubba

I have been asked to provide some British Cars on sale during the Queens reign for a display at a local village Jubilee celebrations 3rd June. 

Today when Beko came to see me I asked him if he had any time before 3rd of June to help me prepare the six cars I am displaying. This morning he said, so we set about the 1972 MGB GT, the paint is old and goes hazy. The car got a wash and Beko's skills with Meguiar's Ultimate compound and machine polisher had the paint looking great. He then sealed it with two coats of Meguiar's hybrid ceramic coating.

Thank you so much @beko1987

IMG_20220521_113830 broad.jpg

IMG_20220521_120028 with hase line broad.jpg

IMG_20220521_141405 broad.jpg

So I have opened my mouth and agreed to join the trip to the Haynes Museum on the 11th June with the Triumph Sports Six Club even if there is a Citroen DS rally 6 miles from my house! The caveat was I got some help to get the Vitesse out of my garage and I have a few volunteers for Sunday 29th May.

My Peugeot 504 Cabriolet is blocking the Vitesse in and I have a rebuilt brake calliper ready to fit thank to Andyrew which will need bleeding.

The Peugeot/Triumph are blocked in by a pile of stuff but we take that to the FoD.

I offered tea and coffee and the TSSC insisted biscuits were also served!

It reminds me of the film Crocodile Dundee where he persuades a gang to help him by telling them, you could tell your mates you spent the day in the club room or you helped this nutter storm a fortress. In my case get a Vitesse to the Haynes Museum.

If anybody from Autoshite wants to join us you are most welcome for "freeing the Vitesse day 29 May"!

Prision bars with Vitesse 01 copy.jpg

20220522_082437.thumb.jpg.ca0f0fe8789655acff9910ba6538b3a9.jpg

Early start this morning, Chris had already shuffled things about so we had space! 

Jag got rinsed, foamed, tightwork, wheels, rinsed, washed, rinsed, dried, DA with a light compound to bring the paint back up, then a da with poor boys blacklight, then a coating of the ceramic wax. Glass got done too, and Chris went round the chrome work with some autosol and tin foil and bought it up very nicely! 

20220522_114657.thumb.jpg.3bd8de2797347e2b51fcf314d61a7c81.jpg

20220522_114708.thumb.jpg.5e7d235c48068da107648532b660a60f.jpg

20220522_114710.thumb.jpg.05bab520b8884c47c8847bbdc39547ac.jpg

20220522_123804.thumb.jpg.211e2d679926f815e96818fcf28caee3.jpg

20220522_123806.thumb.jpg.a94b1a7f192d3166e43551bc2d771ce0.jpg

20220522_103236.thumb.jpg.9f03ba47d1e8cc4682e9b3b55c3ef244.jpg

The Daimler got a rinse, wheels, and then a good wash as care had to be taken of the sunroof, then the glass in and out and it came up really really nicely just for a good wash! We then polished the rusty marks from prior water drippage and called it a day just as the sun came out which was handy as it's too hot for car cleaning now! 

Another great car day with the help of fellow shiters. @beko1987says he enjoyed yesterday and prepping the MGB GT for display and was at my house at 8.30 am today for round two with the E-Type.

I thought I wanted two white Jags so arranged my red one to be coloured white. Turns out to be a scam as the white washed off! Now fully machine compounded and polished with a hybrid ceramic coating toping it, looking great.

Beko also gave the Sovereign S1 a good bath but did not have time to polish it.

My job today was to clean the bumpers on the E Type which are in poor condition and need rechoming really. Several hours with Autosol metal polish and tin foil has them looking a lot better.

My other task was to clean and feed the leather seats in the Sovereign.

Then I got a message from @Andyrew was I home as he had some bits to drop off. Come into the parlour said the spider to the fly! I wanted to put the E-Type away undercover as Beko had done such a fantastic job on it, but had been afraid to drive it after @Talbot broke down twice in it. Now I armed Andyrew with a towrope and an Alfa 156 V6 with towbar and had him follow me. Of course fully protected by the Alfa the E-Type did not miss a beat. We also put the Sovereign away as it also looked smart.

Thanks for all the help.

IMG_20220522_083839 broad.jpg

IMG_20220522_084016 broad.jpg

IMG_20220522_103413 broad.jpg

IMG_20220522_111345 broad.jpg

IMG_20220522_120722 broad.jpg

IMG_20220522_120826 broad.jpg

IMG_20220522_121646 broad.jpg

On 5/22/2022 at 8:48 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Now I armed Andyrew with a towrope and an Alfa 156 V6 with towbar and had him follow me. Of course fully protected by the Alfa the E-Type did not miss a beat.

Did you give it any beans at all tho?  I remain convinced that the issues experienced were due to limited fuelling, meaning you end up emptying the float chambers under certain circumstances, and hence the breakdowns.

2 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Did you give it any beans at all tho?  I remain convinced that the issues experienced were due to limited fuelling, meaning you end up emptying the float chambers under certain circumstances, and hence the breakdowns.

Yes I did and Andy says I got it up to 68mph with brisk acceleration.

28 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Maybe some fuel being drawn through a strainer somwhere has washed varnish off or something like that and it's now able to flow.  Either way, this is good news!

I am still scared it will break down and leave me stranded. I hope it with make it to the Jubilee display 3rd June without issue. After that ianbmw has volunteered to give it a proper run. He says he will risk having to walk 2 miles to get a phone signal and wait 5 hours for the RAC!

As I've mentioned a couple of times (or 50), I've been planning to bring the Series 3 up the field next weekend... Well I've been out in it this afternoon and over the course of 20 miles it's gradually straight piped itself, a la @Talbot style...

Except it's blown from immediately below the manifold, rather than just the rear box coming off. Fun. Getting hold of a new exhaust for that in the upcoming 3-day week might be a tad tricky, so I'm likely to end up bringing the MX5 instead. 

14 hours ago, Crackers said:

Land-Rover . . . . new exhaust

It will almost certainly have a fatigue crack about 1" down from the manifold join.  Just needs a dab of electric pritt-stick.  Can you get the front pipe off and bring it to me?  It's three nuts on the exhaust manifold and the first join (clamped) is just near the gearbox crossmember.  10 minutes work.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

It will almost certainly have a fatigue crack about 1" down from the manifold join.  Just needs a dab of electric pritt-stick.  Can you get the front pipe off and bring it to me?  It's three nuts on the exhaust manifold and the first join (clamped) is just near the gearbox crossmember.  10 minutes work.

I *think* you're right, I haven't had a proper look yet but I'll try and get the front pipe off today. Thanks very much for the offer, I'll drop you a text if we get it off!

The rest of the exhaust system is pretty crusty, so a full new system is on the cards sooner than later!