Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

15 minutes ago, quicksilver said:
  • Everyone fell in love with the Renault. It's no ball of fire but it'll get you around in supreme comfort and handles the potholes like nothing else.

I don't know, when I was letting Eva steer I'd make sure it was pointing straight ahead then floor it, and it don't half take off. I bet it's not too bad at getting away from the lights and what not, get used to how it rolls and steers then commute on the same roads for 6 months and I reckon you could get a decent time out of it, and carry some speed

10 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Invacars are almost impossible to jack up.

I bet that gave @dollywobbler some good old fashioned PTSD flash backs to when he first got TWC!

to be fair the workshop manual does tell you where the jacking points are :) 

image.png

happy to hear everyone had a good time, it really looked like fun from the photographs :) once again really wish I had someway of getting down their that did not make everyone all twitchy! LOL hopefully the by the time the next FoD gathering roles around I either have some way of avoiding public transport (kind lift from a shitter or such) or it is safe to use it once more!

(as I have said before, the ironic thing is if I had REV on the road id be able to make it, good ol Catch 22! *sigh* )

Due to my disabilities I've found for 200 plus miles nearly all being motorways I've found the trike isn't the best. I'm suffering rather bad today. Takes some concentration and fighting plus constantly alert for self preservation. next time I'll bring the pug or mini.  When I turned up smoll floaty looked like death asleep outside. Hope hes recovered by now! Thanks to catsinthewelder,chris and mrs6c for the bolts and floaty and ghosty for the tools to reattach exhaust flange back to manifold too. 

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

I don't know, when I was letting Eva steer I'd make sure it was pointing straight ahead then floor it, and it don't half take off. I bet it's not too bad at getting away from the lights and what not, get used to how it rolls and steers then commute on the same roads for 6 months and I reckon you could get a decent time out of it, and carry some speed

It feels lively off the line, but with the kickdown not working it takes a while to get up to A-road speeds unless you shift the gears manually.  It is quite capable of carrying a decent speed through the bends though, in typical '80s French style - leans like a galleon in a gale but clings gamely on.

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I bet that gave @dollywobbler some good old fashioned PTSD flash backs to when he first got TWC!
to be fair the workshop manual does tell you where the jacking points are :) 

image.png

Great in theory and probably OK if you are only changing one wheel and only using a jack.
Trying to remove six tyres simultaneously from two Invacars parked immovably in long grass and thistles in a damp field when three of the tyres are completely flat is a different kettle of fish. Long piece of wood under chassis rails was required to even raise them high enough to get a jack under. 
In practice:
Jack up one rear wheel using designated jacking point at extreme rear of chassis leg. Place axle stand as close as possible in front of it. REmoVe* jack.
Jack up other rear wheel in the same way. Insert axle stand as before. Remove jack. Front wheel lifts off the ground and rear wheels go back down.
Try interchanging positions of jack and axle stands. Same thing happens, but this time before the second axle stand can be placed in position. Obviously the centre of gravity of these things is at the very back of the outer chassis rails. It would be so much easier if they could be jacked up behind the rear wheels but there is nothing there that is substantial enough to take the weight. Claire and I eventually managed to work out a method which allowed us to remove both rear wheels on both cars without them falling over. We then decided that attempting to remove the front wheels as well would be a step too far so the four rear wheels were conveyed to the tyre fitters around lunchtime on Thursday and the Silvers retired home for a leisurely lunch. They were collected later on Thursday afternoon and stored safely in the boot of the Maxi. We took them back to the field on Friday morning and refitted them with no real problems, then removed the front wheel from both cars, which was a bit of a pain access wise but eventually successful. These two wheels were then taken to the tyre fitters and we again adjourned for lunch while they were fettled. They were collected immediately after lunch, transported back to the field and refitted with no more dramas.
Estimated time for job: 4 hours. Actual time for job: 2 days.
But we succeeded eventually and the Maxi did sterling (silver) service as a mobile workshop.

23 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

Great in theory and probably OK if you are only changing one wheel and only using a jack.
Trying to remove six tyres simultaneously from two Invacars parked immovably in long grass and thistles in a damp field when three of the tyres are completely flat is a different kettle of fish. Long piece of wood under chassis rails was required to even raise them high enough to get a jack under. 
In practice:
Jack up one rear wheel using designated jacking point at extreme rear of chassis leg. Place axle stand as close as possible in front of it. REmoVe* jack.
Jack up other rear wheel in the same way. Insert axle stand as before. Remove jack. Front wheel lifts off the ground and rear wheels go back down.
Try interchanging positions of jack and axle stands. Same thing happens, but this time before the second axle stand can be placed in position. Obviously the centre of gravity of these things is at the very back of the outer chassis rails. It would be so much easier if they could be jacked up behind the rear wheels but there is nothing there that is substantial enough to take the weight.Claire and I eventually managed to work out a method which allowed us to remove both rear wheels on both cars without them falling over. We then decided that attempting to remove the front wheels as well would be a step too far so the four rear wheels were conveyed to the tyre fitters around lunchtime on Thursday and the Silvers retired home for a leisurely lunch. They were collected later on Thursday afternoon and stored safely in the boot of the Maxi. We took them back to the field on Friday morning and refitted them with no real problems, then removed the front wheel from both cars, which was a bit of a pain access wise but eventually successful. These two wheels were then taken to the tyre fitters and we again adjourned for lunch while they were fettled. They were collected immediately after lunch, transported back to the field and refitted with no more dramas.
Estimated time for job: 4 hours. Actual time for job: 2 days.
But we succeeded eventually and the Maxi did sterling (silver) service as a mobile workshop.

Ohh sorry to hear it turned out to be such a ball ache! I do apologise! but also Oh yay to the success part!

I was reading that getting dismayed that the job would not have been able to have been done!

but thank you (and @Mrs6C )  for persevering through the difficulties and swapping the Tyres out on REV and Dolly! :) 

it is very much appreciated and is on big step closer to hopefully getting REV and Dolly on the road :) 

(Im guessing the original plan to get them onto hard standing for the tyre swapping was not possible/feasible then? I do see REV has a key in her ignition in one of the photos was an attempt made to start her and move her?)

just curious where any pictures taken at all? :)  (I understand if none where due to the difficulty of it all!)

and on the same note im guessing due to the unforeseen difficulties that no other work was done to the Model 70s? 

Thank you once more it is very much appreciated! 

No problem. It was an interesting* challenge, and if it was easy anyone could do it.  It's the problem solving that makes it interesting.
With 3 flat tyres and partially seized brakes we decided not to attempt to move them as it would have made much more work for not much advantage, especially as we would have had to move them back again afterwards.
At the time Dolly had no carburettor and REV no petrol tank so we made no attempt to start either.
The ignition key was in REV because I did get to spend a small amount of time checking out the electrics. Unfortunately the problems appear to be more than just corroded bulbs or bulb holders. All the side and rear lights work OK but I was unable to check the headlights as the switch refused to go into the headlamp position and I didn't want to force it and break it. The left-hand front indicator works OK but despite me cleaning up the bulb and the holder contacts the rear just glows very dimly. The right hand rear indicator works OK but the front one does not work at all. The bulb is intact and I again cleaned the contacts, but no joy.
Checking the lights on Dolly showed that the side and rear lights and one headlamp worked OK but the number plate light did not and the other headlamp is also very dim. I did quickly check the voltage at the number plate light socket and there was only about 4.5 volts on it, so I suspect there are problems on both with corroded high-resistance connections elsewhere in the looms.
I didn't take many pictures as I was rather short of spare hands but the random few I did take are below:

20200709_100514.thumb.jpg.e048a02839e3608d1076cf60f79db48e.jpg

20200709_101445.thumb.jpg.28963464803997df00ba8078110aee80.jpg

20200710_100618.thumb.jpg.26527ccea810f91960d296a3659f6e87.jpg

20200710_100549.thumb.jpg.b07854675ed0c5d11ee9485f8ff9d068.jpg

Another problem you have LBF is it's too bloody small! Slow & Quick silver have an advantage in that they can work together. I'd love to spend an afternoon with a beer or 5, a can of brake cleaner, pack of wire wool and 2500grit, soldering iron, new crimps and heatshrink etc but no one else can go near whilst I do, so for now, just getting the wheels on properly will be a good step!

I forgot on both days too, I have 2 PSA (think their from my 1994 ZX, or maybe a Laguna 2 but I don't fully remember buying any, although I could have kept some when the old one went for scrap) wheel bolts I meant to offer up to see if it fitted. Will leave them rattling around in the door pocket so I can forget about them next time...

12 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

No problem. It was an interesting* challenge, and if it was easy anyone could do it.  It's the problem solving that makes it interesting.
With 3 flat tyres and partially seized brakes we decided not to attempt to move them as it would have made much more work for not much advantage, especially as we would have had to move them back again afterwards.
At the time Dolly had no carburettor and REV no petrol tank so we made no attempt to start either.
The ignition key was in REV because I did get to spend a small amount of time checking out the electrics. Unfortunately the problems appear to be more than just corroded bulbs or bulb holders. All the side and rear lights work OK but I was unable to check the headlights as the switch refused to go into the headlamp position and I didn't want to force it and break it. The left-hand front indicator works OK but despite me cleaning up the bulb and the holder contacts the rear just glows very dimly. The right hand rear indicator works OK but the front one does not work at all. The bulb is intact and I again cleaned the contacts, but no joy.
Checking the lights on Dolly showed that the side and rear lights and one headlamp worked OK but the number plate light did not and the other headlamp is also very dim. I did quickly check the voltage at the number plate light socket and there was only about 4.5 volts on it, so I suspect there are problems on both with corroded high-resistance connections elsewhere in the looms.
I didn't take many pictures as I was rather short of spare hands but the random few I did take are below:

20200709_100514.thumb.jpg.e048a02839e3608d1076cf60f79db48e.jpg

20200709_101445.thumb.jpg.28963464803997df00ba8078110aee80.jpg

20200710_100618.thumb.jpg.26527ccea810f91960d296a3659f6e87.jpg

20200710_100549.thumb.jpg.b07854675ed0c5d11ee9485f8ff9d068.jpg

ah awesome stuff! happy to hear you where able give a quick look at the electrical  gremlins for me once again its much appreciated :) yeah I do recall the head lamp switch being a bit gritty, probably needs opening up and cleaning up at some point, but at least last year! the head lamps where fully functional so hopefully just have the indicator issues to solve! (and the horn also needs seeing to/a thwack with a suitably sized hammer?)

Thanks for the photos too :) (the stack of 4 tyres/wheels amuses me, given its 2, 3 wheeler cars!)

(where is REV's fuel tank do you know? I know @Mrs6C kindly removed it to inspect it a few months ago, but I was not sure if it was stuck back in REV or put somewhere else for safe keeping or such!)

9 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Another problem you have LBF is it's too bloody small! Slow & Quick silver have an advantage in that they can work together. I'd love to spend an afternoon with a beer or 5, a can of brake cleaner, pack of wire wool and 2500grit, soldering iron, new crimps and heatshrink etc but no one else can go near whilst I do, so for now, just getting the wheels on properly will be a good step!

haha yeah, I very much appreciate the thought however :) hopefully once the general situation improves things can be done!

Just now, LightBulbFun said:

haha yeah, I very much appreciate the thought however :) hopefully once the general situation improves things can be done!

It's more waiting for the important stuff to be done so it's left alone enough to have a bash. I had my NV200 turned on right next to them as Charlie was vacuuming out the boat. I did think of spending 5 minutes on them as everyone was drinking tea etc. But their both full of tools and parts. Parts laid out very carefully so they stay where they are until needed. Can't move those.

Been back about an hour, straight in the shower! @Smoll Floatylight and I Had a fabulous weekend, although Smoll spent most of yesterday recovering from over indulgence in@Mrs6C 's cider.

Thanks to Chris and Claire for their hospitality as always and great to see everyone again, felt like a bit of normality after an odd few months..

Have an exclusive* bonus edition Renner 11 photo..481b66128b47d354e8b11846e3341c9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

I have said it before but she is pretty damn good at taking photographs! 

14 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

SAM_2746.thumb.JPG.bab9c79f2cf6b7e681b1cf6d3cadae0d.JPG

its always quite interesting just how basic/little there is to this thing!

it would be fun to do the bare minimum to get it road legal/worthy to it, then drive it around central London like that or something LOL

does anyone have a picture of what it would have looked like when new/complete or such?

9 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

$_86.JPG

ah interesting :) I knew it was a Honda Melody but I dont know enough about them etc to know if there where multiple types etc

so its appreciated! 

interesting to see it has a back bone chassis I always thought for some reason Moped/scooters of that style where more or less a monocoque design ie what you see in the photo you posted is the load bearing structure of the moped but clearly its just a load of body panels bolted to a chassis!

10 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

A load of very floppy plastic (ABS?) body panels not bolted on very much.

Hmm now where have I seen that before! :mrgreen:

reminds of when the then the Q plate Model 70 first showed up (and was for sale at that time) and at the time all I had was a picture of the front of it, and Stuart wisely pointed out, it might not be a Model 70, if its a Model 67, then run away! LOL

(because the Villiers machines as @egg and now @BlankFrank have found out the hard way! sadly do not have very substantial chassis being a simple back bone type affair, which sadly means they suffer a lot more compared to the Model 70 when dumped somewhere for decades on end!)

I have a very rare Vauxhall hubcap to sell!

You will not find these on McLarens or Lamborghinis!

Buy now while you can and this is an auction starting price 1.00, I did not say £ anything goes!

I was taking the photos of where it lay and the builder opposite engaged me in conversion enquiring why I was photographing him. “It’s not you mate it’s this hub cap”!  

@dollywobbler

@Slowsilver

IMG_20200714_123120 crop broad.jpg

IMG_20200714_123232_1 broad.jpg

IMG_20200714_123252 broad.jpg

I have a very rare Vauxhall hubcap to sell!
You will not find these on McLarens or Lamborghinis!
Buy now while you can and this is auction starting price 1.00, I did not say £ anything goes!
I was taking the photos of where it lay and the builder opposite engaged me in conversion enquiring why I was photographing him. “It’s not you mate it’s this hub cap”!  
[mention=3690]dollywobbler[/mention]
[mention=22043]Slowsilver[/mention]
30075318_IMG_20200714_123120cropbroad.thumb.jpg.d72256ff43d61a3412941096a8ed9875.jpg
1245130250_IMG_20200714_123232_1broad.thumb.jpg.e63040215f82fdeca49e64731dea1b04.jpg
1349584990_IMG_20200714_123252broad.thumb.jpg.6d73613cd22e0c66f57fdc393d69cd7c.jpg
Did you find the end of a spring to go with it?

56 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Did you find the end of a spring to go with it?

Ah Mr slowsilver had that in his hand, I think Ian picked that up. I bet he's already repaired it and the chemical metal is setting as we speak! 

Although for the silvers, I doubt a front spring change is going to pose many issues! 

33 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

Excellent. It's probably not worth a lot now as it undoubtedly got badly scratched when it hit the road. It was of course absolutely perfect* before. I might just agree to mow your paddock (not a euphemism) as payment, weather permitting ?.

Face looks great just a couple of chips out on the edge.