Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Still reckon that the R11 has some of the classiest dash indicator lights of the era.  The fully lit symbol on the dimmer background just pleases me.

IMG_20200712_155835.thumb.jpg.a91a8cab8259b607bbaa4f14a8243e0e.jpg

Sorry I couldn't stick around too long today, was really nice to catch up with folks though.

Still wish I had space for this...

IMG_20200712_152203.thumb.jpg.4c9ef5453bdfa8dbc63ea113c2721af6.jpg

Never really appreciated quite how much stuff they stripped out the base (TC) trim level spac until looking closer at it, the TC even had to make do with flat vinyl door cards.  Still miss it though...even though it was alarmingly easy to provoke a 4-wheel drift on the skinny 155 section tyres I had...

Slowsilver and myself were idly chatting after both driving it alot and one of these for sub 20 mile radius town work and show work, then something else for long journeys/motorway munching etc would be a perfect fleet! 

Even the radio works well

I am home after a mild detour around the M25 and A3 because road closures. Thank you Chris and Claire for opening the field, the Gamma was quite a nice car to work on and glad I managed to free off the brakes. That rear calliper was an absolute pig though. Took the best part of an hour to get off but with @Mrs6C shaving the pads, and removing a mild lip from the edge of the disc it went back with little ado. Unfortunately the piston was seized pretty badly and was unable to wind or press it fully home. Whether or not it would make it to your tame garage to be fixed without the back wheel locking up I have no idea but would happily come up and remove/refit for you in the near future.

8664CC0D-DE21-45B7-9D86-4FB63BF9BD01.thumb.jpeg.9237afeefe6353b0672f5e85ff15560c.jpeg

Yes I brought a carpet to work on! I R wimpz.

Apologies for interrupting @dollywobbler and the silvers while discussing all things Zafira to ask for a tool.

Nice to see @Floatylight again, and meet a few new faces. I’m still absolutely jealous of @Ghosty’s 205, it’s a beauty.

I hope everyone had safe journeys home and look forward to the next FoD (or any other) gathering!

Now enjoying a pint of ice cold cider and going to have a nice shower before bed as I’m up at half 5.....

It managed to sneak into a video two years ago when I bought my Rover 45V6. Bub shuttled me to meet Mr Bollox in one of the strangest, yet most enjoyable days of my life.

Thanks to everyone for a lovely weekend. New family absolutely loved it and can't wait to visit again. Apols to Slowsilver for the broken spring on the Zafira - shame I wasn't recording when it actually broke free but it was like that when I left the field. Hope you found the wheeltrim and apols for the random can I'd picked up on entering the field and then forgot about. It was eventful!

The GSA also hit trouble within a few miles when a rear window refused to wind up. Quickly solved and we had a lovely non-motorway drive home. Top weekend.

Home and showered, had an uneventful trip back over the M1 then through Sheffield and over the Snake. I saw a blue Dodge 50 going south on the M1 around J30/9pm - @Mr_Bo11ox ???

IMG_1624.thumb.JPG.900c1f815f4c5e86eec17c5a03eea5f1.JPG

The tent was a bit hot, black isn't an ideal colour... was comfy though. My camping chair slowly fell apart along the course of Friday night, to the point I sat on it and it collapsed... 

and there's also a pic of @Floatylight's @Smoll Floatylight piloting the 205. A very well received car - and one that's prompted 6C to start thinking about a turbocharged diesel Visa - it seems 205 seats aren't quite suited to him. 

That E36 is going to come up lovely - a rather hung over catsinthewelder, smol floatylight and I spent a while properly attaching the wheels, Beko and I hoovered it out, and I gave it a wash with the assistance of Beko's charming kids. It's a nice car, drives well, but impossible to reverse on account of it being all too easy to stall. 

Had a great weekend and it's just what I've needed after the lockdown cycling boom. 
Absolutely wonderful to see everyone again, and catch up with people I haven't seen in far too long. 

Many many thanks to Chris and Claire for hosting us all once again. 

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

I thought there was something wrong with the gear selector, reverse just seems hard to push across to. 

I stalled the poor thing loads though, I can lift my foot off all the pedals in the xsara and be doing 5mph before I know it. That thing needed some revs. 

It is clean though! Missing most of the toolkit and we probably should have looked at the brakes

Highlights of the weekend for me were driving a tractor for the first time in ages, the extended test drive AnthonyG and I took in the Renault 11 down some quite pleasant Bucks roads to check all was well following its fettling session, and my first time seeing a cut-down Honda Melody ridden up and down a field by man in full horseriding gear, complete with riding crop.

As others have said, thanks to the Cylinders for once again hosting a very enjoyable weekend, and I'm already looking forward to the next one.  Hopefully I might have something more interesting than a Mk4 Mondeo on the road by then...

19 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Yesterday's heroes:

20200711_164334.jpg

20200711_164347.jpg

20200711_164402.jpg

Oh yay! nice to see REV and Dolly some more :) (I did see in one of the previous photos that something was going on with the pair so Im hopeful some work was done?)

(nice to see a computer tower will comfortably fit inside a Model 70, handy to know for the future when I use REV to collect old computers for my computer hobby!)

how is REV doing? I see she could do with a good clean but I hope she has not deteriorated too much?

What a great weekend! It was fantastic to get out of town and do something normal* for the first time since March, and this was one of the best-attended FOD gatherings we've had. Some observations from the weekend's activities:

• Invacars are almost impossible to jack up.
  • The gold Gamma is quite amazingly rotten.
  • FOD events need noise to get the right atmosphere. It just wasn't the same when all was quiet and no engines were running.
  • @mat_the_cat's Stellar still sounds glorious. After he left I just stood in the gateway mesmerised by the noise of it burbling away.
  • Everyone fell in love with the Renault. It's no ball of fire but it'll get you around in supreme comfort and handles the potholes like nothing else.
  • Glad it wasn't just me who had trouble reversing the BMW. It's not the easiest thing to drive slowly.
  • Running a V12 Jag is not for the faint hearted and @Zelandeth is a brave man.
  • Kudos to @bub2006 for bringing the craziest machine in a field of crazy machines. That trike is extraordinary!
  • These famous YouTube celebrities break other people's cars :) Seriously though, neither incident was DW's fault - the 20-year old spring had done well to last that long and those potholes are brutal.

Thanks again to Mr and Mrs 6C for their hospitality and to everyone who attended. Hopefully we can do it again before too long, and have a much smoother journey once the lane has been resurfaced.