Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

51 minutes ago, hairnet said:

does anyone have wire strippers/crimpers

plugged sat nav in as it needed charging and it didnt

had a look and the wire either was coming off the ringlet or wasnt touching

fank oo @catsinthewelder @wuvvum @beko1987

I do indeed, already in the car

I'm mostly packed now, just the food from the fridge in the morning... 

23 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

Correct! Rigged up from a cigarette lighter plug.

haha, its cool to see in use! :) 

and blimey you where not kidding when you said the defuser was yellowed!

I would have removed it to allow the 80% of light output it was blocking to actually escape the fixture LOL

I do look forward to playing it with it measuring its specifications, a lot of these low voltage DC, 12-24V fluorescent fixtures have ballasts that dont run the tubes at full current and will often munch tubes because of that

but the comercial stuff like the advert illumination on and in @Yoss's Routemaster did use proper ballasts that drove the tubes are full current or pretty close to it or if nothing else at least provide separate cathode heating so the discharge current no longer matters,

supplying separate cathode heating is also how you dim a fluorescent tube for those wondering :), because the most important thing to the proper operation of a fluorescent tube is making sure the cathodes are at the correct temperature, normally this is done by the current flowing from and into the cathodes through the discharge so it is imperative that the discharge current is kept at the appropriate value, however if you heat the cathodes on their own with their own correct current source like an old school vacuum tube, then the discharge current can be anything you want since it is no longer responsible for keeping the cathodes heated as well

(but the discharge current is what controls the brightness of a fluorescent tube, so vary that and you vary the brightness of the tube, hence if you keep the cathodes heated you can lower the discharge current and as a result dim the fluorescent tube!)

so it will be interesting to see where this one lies!

Gah, fire! Can we plan the next weekender for when I haven't got the kids and can get drunk and sleep in the car like the  good old days? 

Dunno what time we'll be along in the morning, I've told the kids as early as they can get their shit together we can leave. Think my dad and stepmum may pop by too... Do i need/is anything wanted for tomorrow that I might be able to bring that was needed today? 

I'd like to book the Renault 11 for a driving lesson tomorrow too when it gets a bit quieter later in the day... So no drunk driving tonight @kirton

20200711_161939.thumb.jpg.2ea99c47a4029e6404b82955e2378b73.jpg

Oh, and the 2 random people were mutha_beko and my stepdad. They've moved to within 3 miles of the FoD, so I thought it best to get them acquainted! 

They like you all very much, my stepdad was loving the Renault, told him he should have had a shot in it. Don't think their coming back tomorrow though, he wants to sort the garage out and have a go at getting the petrol rotavator he hasn't used for nigh on 12 years started (again, told him he should have put it in the car!) 

After speaking to beko this evening I am going to have a wander down tomorro morning and hopefully catch up with friends. 3 steeds to choose from 

1) mini countryman ( too new though and too reliable) 

2) peugeot 406 which is damn comfy and economical 

3) reliant trike but not sure on fuel consumption on a long drive. Also no fuel gauge or working odometer but it's the most fun. 

Any recommendations welcome. Place bets now!