Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

The next task today was to start the tractor and move the farm trailer. Mrs6C was not keen on the quick fix of jabbing a wire from the starter to the battery to get round the gearbox inhibitor switch that does not allow the starter to operate even if the high/low box is in neutral. We had taken a large adjustable spanner but it turns out the round top of the inhibitor switch is larger than the flats to undo it and the max thickness of the spanner is about 3mm. we made a cardboard spanner that tells us the jaws need to be 29mm.

Does anybody coming next weekend have a thin spanner 29mm or non-metric equivalent?   

Back to jabbing the wire on the battery and the tractor started very easily. Next problem is the trailer had sunk in the ground and had to be jacked before it could be connected on and away it went.

Next thing I know there was a tractor causing a traffic jam!

IMG_20200705_163431 broad.jpg

IMG_20200705_222033 broad.jpg

IMG_20200705_171409 broad.jpg

IMG_20200705_172106 broad.jpg

IMG_20200705_171246 broad.jpg

IMG_20200705_172533 broad.jpg

IMG_20200705_172932 broad.jpg

Can't be much between the dumper and running... it's an old school industrial diesel...you need compression, you need fuel, you need air.

I'm sure I could swing by to take a look sometime this week if you think it would be useful (assuming it's not vetoed by management here).  Been a while since I did battle with an old school diesel like this.

19 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Does anybody coming next weekend have a thin spanner 29mm or non-metric equivalent?   

this comes back as 1 9/64" - I wonder if it's 1 1/8" af you're after as that's marginally smaller. 

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Second job was to move the BMW 323i and that started on the button ready for a visitor tomorrow.

Next job was to start the 1 ton dumper at the FoD as we may have a job for it and it has always been difficult to start. No amount of towing it would bring it to life, it made dumper like noises but no smoke. I have booked an agricultural engineer to come look at it but he can't come for 2 weeks.

IMG_20200705_154644 broad.jpg

clearly the problem is your missing a @Slowsilver

its well known to start FoD machinery you need a @Slowsilver installed in the operators seat :mrgreen:

8 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Looks like there is in the picture but is there Enough room to get a cold chisel or a punch it to tap the nut round? 

The chisel may work, but the the plan is to clean and refit it at this stage so it would be better if we could spanner it out.

Before somebody sends the padded van to save me from self harming by restoring this Gamma it is not mine. It belongs to the Gamma Consortium (club) and their plan is to take it apart and recover the parts for sale to members. The Club has a active spares section who buy/ recover/store parts and have some parts remade including the "L" cloth seat material for later Gammas.The Gamma consortium have been fantastic with me finding me parts to put my own Gamma back on the road.

The club is grateful that I have given it somewhere to rest temporally as it was going to the crusher because it was parked on a property that had been returned to the landlord. Strange thing is I just like seeing it in my field! 

IMG_20200706_132049 crop rust broad.jpg

HI Chris

is there space for another one? If so would you pm directions to the FoD please.   I have leave of absence approved and the weather looks quite good from Friday on

I'll be up in the camper van so that has a cooker available for use.  I'm deemed old and vulnerable so will be sensible but not paranaoid about being in company.

I'll put in a selection of tools and my brand new Ring 900 100psi tyre pump;  it's fast and got a van tyre from 35psi to 80 pretty quickly, but with a 23amp draw I wouldn't use it without the engine running.

Has any one a use for a crv 15" wheel with a reasonable but old Dueller tyre?