Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

6 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

If I had been able to get down I could have picked you up as I'd be passing London to get to the FOD. Hopefully I'll be able to make the next one and if that's the case I'd be happy to pick you up then. 

ah thats much appreciated :) 

the issue I currently face is I can probably get as far as MKC station (assuming the direct from euston to MKC trains are still going?) but I have no way of getting from MKC to the FoD

(I imagine hopping in a taxi and asking him to "take me to the Field of dreams" is the autoshite equivalent of asking the platform guard where platform 9 and 3/4 is LOL) 

and I think people are understandably reluctant to give me a lift especially if I have had to public transport my way down! I personally dont mind being picked up etc, but I fully understand why others would!

and once I get there I still dont have any accommodation, (id happily take the boat again, but as it was not mentioned recently im going on the assumption its currently not open so to speak I was very thankful for it last time and I dont want come across as taking it for granted or anything!)

so yeah the issue 2 fold currently sadly

17 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

I can bring along this light fitting if you want to add it to your collection, assuming someone local could store it until you are next up?

20191110_162250.thumb.jpg.8dd8b1ad3dfd93d422ad1a04fd6c4ab2.jpg

oh that would be much appreciated! is the vintage tube included with the fixture? :) if a local to the FoD shitter could keep this for me that would be very much appreciated! 

if all else fails you could always leave it under REV's seat or something LOL

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

oh that would be much appreciated! is the vintage tube included with the fixture? :) if a local to the FoD shitter could keep this for me that would be very much appreciated! 

if all else fails you could always leave it under REV's seat or something LOL

Yes - fitting, tube and very yellow diffuser included!

9 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Hoping to trundle down on the Saturday.  Will probably be in a boring modern mind.  But then AnthonyG is going so I won't be alone in that.

Same.  We'll park in the 'Slowsilver Ugly Bloody Modern Section' * at the far end... ?

*Sorry Steve, but it was hilARYoose! ?

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Hoping to trundle down on the Saturday.  Will probably be in a boring modern mind.  But then AnthonyG is going so I won't be alone in that.

Unless somebody can get our green Range Rover to start you are going to have to put up with a modern RR on site.

Yes that is a threat to all, fix the 1985 or you get the 2016!

11 hours ago, wuvvum said:

My parents will have their modern parked somewhere too, so you won't be out of place! 

1 hour ago, chaseracer said:

Same.  We'll park in the 'Slowsilver Ugly Bloody Modern Section' * at the far end... ?

*Sorry Steve, but it was hilARYoose! ?

Sorry, don't get he joke. While not a fan of moderns I don't remember referring to them as "Ugly Bloody Moderns". Although my most "modern" is a 21 year old Zafira A, the Mondeo (still dead) is 27, the Maxi we will probably come over in is 43 and Bob the Renault (also very dead) is 48. The newest vehicle I have taken to the FoD was the Zafira on our first visit to the FoD for Shitefest 2016 when it was then only* 17 years old. To me anything with a new style registration is modern, even though the earliest of these is now nearly 20 years old.

1 hour ago, Slowsilver said:

To me anything with a new style registration is modern, even though the earliest of these is now nearly 20 years old.

I'm the same! My xsara is modern enough on an 02 plate. It'll mess my head up when I'm buying £300 18 plate tat to smoke around in in a few years. Its mainly this place too that's done that... 

It looks like Saturday is going to be a popular day, we should use the whole site, in effect zoning ourselves and keeping to our social distancing. Not sharing food and drink in the way we have in the past. Using our own tools. Wearing gloves when touching cars that others are also working on. Even using our own chairs or wiping the plastic ones if we do use them, I believe we will be able to protect each over. 

Don't forget your antibacterial hand gel. 

Would be really nice to actually speak to another human being for the first time since February so I'd really like to get along, even if it might be a case of largely staying in the car.

If Sunday is looking like the quieter day that would probably be my target.

Probably bring the van as it's easier to be sociable and chat to someone from that.

So I'll aim for Sunday.  Assuming this doesn't get vetoed by management or the situation changing in the next week anyway.

My first task today was to move the 735i away from the hedge as next door wanted to finish trimming his hedge and needed space to work our side. The BMW had a flat battery and that locks the deadlock system so you can use the drivers key. Fortunately the club had taught me a couple of ways to get in so I could open the bonnet and put a jump pack on it. I got it running but my neighbour has not wanted to do the work today so the car is now on charge, It is a big battery and will take at least 2 days on the trickle charger. 

IMG_20200705_123607 broad.jpg

IMG_20200705_123647 broad.jpg

Second job was to move the BMW 323i and that started on the button ready for a visitor tomorrow.

Next job was to start the 1 ton dumper at the FoD as we may have a job for it and it has always been difficult to start. No amount of towing it would bring it to life, it made dumper like noises but no smoke. I have booked an agricultural engineer to come look at it but he can't come for 2 weeks.

IMG_20200705_154644 broad.jpg