Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

On 4/6/2020 at 10:29 PM, Mrs6C said:

The V5C for Molly has arrived. It has the correct November date on it and says 4 former keepers.

between REV's V5 stuff, and some other DVLA related stuff im helping another member with

it did make me wonder, when you V62'ed Molly, what did ya stick down for taxation class :) 

did you directly put historic vehicle in the taxation field or?

because I don't actually know what milk floats where taxed as! (I know they were always NILL rate, but they were still "taxed" so obviously would have been in a taxation class)

also is a revenue weight listed? 

also on the same note, you mentioned that she was still registered to her previous-previous keeper, but that you were in contact with that keeper, do you know if said keeper did get a letter from the DVLA saying "someone has applied for your vehicles logbook" when you V62ed for Molly? :) 

(just wondering if the DVLA still do that letter or not, as mentioned I do wonder when we Apply for invacar log books etc, does someones grandchild get a DVLA letter about an Invacar their grandparent had 40 years ago LOL)

The lines of the DS still look amazing. Imagine rubber stamping the design in the first place. You'd have needed some serious balls as the reception from the public was always going to go one way or the other. 

I don't think it'll ever 'age' as such,  with it being so different to its contemporaries. 

33 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

while I had my tool open to check the Ford timelord's details for that thread

figured it would be rude not check up on Molly the milkfloat and indeed @Mrs6C you are now showing as the 5th keeper :)

image.png.9751f8d2137f0d3a4538db7eac0ad5f6.png

What tool would this be?  I normally check out the registrations on the pictures I’ve been scanning on cartell & the dvla site to find out a bit about them.

7 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

What tool would this be?  I normally check out the registrations on the pictures I’ve been scanning on cartell & the dvla site to find out a bit about them.

its a commercial  tool I somehow managed to wrangle myself access too

I mainly use it for my invalid vehicle research where it has been invaluable :)

its not free sadly and its not really meant for end users either

and on top of all that i'm also a bit reluctant to give out its details, least someone try and do something nefarious with it! and ruin it for everyone etc

11 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

its a commercial  tool I somehow managed to wrangle myself access too

I mainly use it for my invalid vehicle research where it has been invaluable :)

its not free sadly and its not really meant for end users either

and on top of all that i'm also a bit reluctant to give out its details, least someone try and do something nefarious with it! and ruin it for everyone etc

Ok I had noticed the dvla site doesn’t give the number of previous owners any more.

@Six-cylinder may recall that when I was out for a run in their lovely little Metro that the first thing I noticed and was downright startled by was how quiet the gearbox was compared to that in my much missed example (and that the lack of the thermal flasher on the indicators was a shame).  Never quite figured out whether there is actually that much difference between the 'box in the two cars, or if the plusher MG version (and being a few years later) just had more sound insulation.  Stumbled across an audio recording this evening while looking for something totally unrelated which demonstrates quite how pronounced the gearbox whine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd in mine was.  Audio quality is appalling I'm afraid as the only thing that the digital camera I had back then in 2004 did worse than taking photos was recording audio...however it's all I had!

Folks have often said to me when talking about the car "it's a shame it wasn't the 1300" - I still dispute that...I never once in my time driving the car found myself wishing she had more grunt.  She always felt more than up to and willing to take on any task I asked of her with great enthusiasm.  Yes if you were merging onto a 70mph dual carriageway you needed to make proper use of the gears, but the gearchange was lovely (even though of course the one time I had a bloody audio recording running I crunched first!), and the car always seemed to encourage you to put your foot down. 

998cc or not, she still showed a clean pair of heels on a twisty country road by where I lived to a Golf GTi once the road got properly twisty.

It's a 0-70mph run here...again apologies for the white noise once we're moving...but it's the indicator "tick-plunk" and the gearbox which clearly wanted to live in a racing car that we're interested in.  It's still one of the most evocative sounds in the motoring world for me...and I still reckon that if I came across a clean early Metro at a reasonable price that I'd have a seriously difficult time saying no.  If it was Snapdragon yellow, I'd truly be doomed.

Metro Run.mp3

I will forever regret selling that car.

I have driven several 1.0 Metros and all are great to drive, but when you look at the speedo you are not going very fast!

The one that really sticks in my mind was a 1.0 HLE with 3+E gearbox. It was like a 3 speed gearbox with a cruising gear, that is as long as you were going reasonably fast, there was no head wind or up hills to travel! I still enjoyed it and was pleased I had requested to take it home instead of my usual new Volvo 340 1.7.

Metro HLE.jpg

32 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have driven several 1.0 Metros and all are great to drive, but when you look at the speedo you are not going very fast!

The one that really sticks in my mind was a 1.0 HLE with 3+E gearbox. It was like a 3 speed gearbox with a cruising gear, that is as long as you were going reasonably fast, there was no head wind or up hills to travel! I still enjoyed it and was pleased I had requested to take it home instead of my usual new Volvo 340 1.7.

Metro HLE.jpg

I wonder how well a 3+E gearbox would work in a 1275 Metro? Would the extra power make the E/4th gear more useful?

I appreciate that would defeat the purpose of the 1.0HLE but it's nice to wonder.

• 2 weeks later...

My diary has reminded me it should have been Shitefest this weekend, but the world has changed.

However completely within guidelines I had to go 30 miles to Oxford today. They do not state what car to drive or the route to get there and it was a great drive. Empty duel carriageway on the way there and beautiful country roads to get home.

Chosen car was the BMW 735i that drove very well. I used it last night and it started on its own battery after 3 weeks for shopping, but it has its faults for shopping as the boot is so big a weeks shopping rolls around in there! 

IMG_20200502_095130 broad.jpg

P1120566 broad.jpg

On 4/23/2020 at 12:21 AM, Zelandeth said:

@Six-cylinder may recall that when I was out for a run in their lovely little Metro that the first thing I noticed and was downright startled by was how quiet the gearbox was compared to that in my much missed example (and that the lack of the thermal flasher on the indicators was a shame).  Never quite figured out whether there is actually that much difference between the 'box in the two cars, or if the plusher MG version (and being a few years later) just had more sound insulation.  Stumbled across an audio recording this evening while looking for something totally unrelated which demonstrates quite how pronounced the gearbox whine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd in mine was.  Audio quality is appalling I'm afraid as the only thing that the digital camera I had back then in 2004 did worse than taking photos was recording audio...however it's all I had!

Folks have often said to me when talking about the car "it's a shame it wasn't the 1300" - I still dispute that...I never once in my time driving the car found myself wishing she had more grunt.  She always felt more than up to and willing to take on any task I asked of her with great enthusiasm.  Yes if you were merging onto a 70mph dual carriageway you needed to make proper use of the gears, but the gearchange was lovely (even though of course the one time I had a bloody audio recording running I crunched first!), and the car always seemed to encourage you to put your foot down. 

998cc or not, she still showed a clean pair of heels on a twisty country road by where I lived to a Golf GTi once the road got properly twisty.

It's a 0-70mph run here...again apologies for the white noise once we're moving...but it's the indicator "tick-plunk" and the gearbox which clearly wanted to live in a racing car that we're interested in.  It's still one of the most evocative sounds in the motoring world for me...and I still reckon that if I came across a clean early Metro at a reasonable price that I'd have a seriously difficult time saying no.  If it was Snapdragon yellow, I'd truly be doomed.

Metro Run.mp3 362 kB · 6 downloads

I will forever regret selling that car.

Metros are funny little things. Yours sounded like a soundtrack taken from the inside of a rally prepped  Mini Cooper on track in the 60s! They were so good at their job and hugely successful when released. I had great fun with my early Mini Metro when I owned it, although I do admit to being liberal with the wob. I think people forget just how successful they actually were.

12 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Metros are funny little things. Yours sounded like a soundtrack taken from the inside of a rally prepped  Mini Cooper on track in the 60s!

The soundtrack was downright addictive, especially when pushing on.  What you couldn't hear in that rubbish quality clip was the growl added by the MG spec exhaust - which was an honest skip find out the back of my local tyre/exhaust fitter when I was in for tyres... apparently someone had ordered it years earlier then never turned up for it.  They eventually got fed up of waiting for someone to buy it so chucked it in the skip...an hour before I turned up.  £20 later into the petty cash tin and I had claimed it, and they refused to take anything more than that for fitting it.

I know she was a very, very early one so I'm sure there were some interesting oddball specification differences.  The illumination for the heater controls the A-plate one we had a few years earlier had was absent in it being one I remember spotting.  Also lacked a brake servo, though honestly I don't recall ever missing that, the brakes were more than up to the job of stopping such a light car, you just needed to push a bit harder.

I think there's something which clouds a lot of folk's opinions of Metros: So many people remember trundling around or learning to drive in a clapped out one, run on a shoe string and containing more rust and fibreglass than steel.  Like my first one - a clapped out low compression City which had been round the clock before the speedometer died several years before I got it, and in which the diff made some truly exciting noises.  Oh, and it tried to asphyxiate you if you turned the heater on so demising the windscreen required the windows to be open because the exhaust manifold was cracked. 

Driving a really good one is a totally different experience.  The Cappuccino is the only car that I think I've had which was capable of being so much fun on a twisty road.  Handling saw to that, adding the aforementioned gearbox that sounded like it belonged on a race track made it very hard to drive gently.

Speaking of gearchange, I've heard a lot of folks saying that it wasn't great on the Metro, but I remember it being really precise on the yellow one. 

41 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

The soundtrack was downright addictive, especially when pushing on.  What you couldn't hear in that rubbish quality clip was the growl added by the MG spec exhaust - which was an honest skip find out the back of my local tyre/exhaust fitter when I was in for tyres... apparently someone had ordered it years earlier then never turned up for it.  They eventually got fed up of waiting for someone to buy it so chucked it in the skip...an hour before I turned up.  £20 later into the petty cash tin and I had claimed it, and they refused to take anything more than that for fitting it.

I know she was a very, very early one so I'm sure there were some interesting oddball specification differences.  The illumination for the heater controls the A-plate one we had a few years earlier had was absent in it being one I remember spotting.  Also lacked a brake servo, though honestly I don't recall ever missing that, the brakes were more than up to the job of stopping such a light car, you just needed to push a bit harder.

I think there's something which clouds a lot of folk's opinions of Metros: So many people remember trundling around or learning to drive in a clapped out one, run on a shoe string and containing more rust and fibreglass than steel.  Like my first one - a clapped out low compression City which had been round the clock before the speedometer died several years before I got it, and in which the diff made some truly exciting noises.  Oh, and it tried to asphyxiate you if you turned the heater on so demising the windscreen required the windows to be open because the exhaust manifold was cracked. 

Driving a really good one is a totally different experience.  The Cappuccino is the only car that I think I've had which was capable of being so much fun on a twisty road.  Handling saw to that, adding the aforementioned gearbox that sounded like it belonged on a race track made it very hard to drive gently.

Speaking of gearchange, I've heard a lot of folks saying that it wasn't great on the Metro, but I remember it being really precise on the yellow one. 

How early was yours? Mine was January '81. 

Sorry to go off on a tangent on your thread, SixCylinder!

27 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

How early was yours? Mine was January '81. 

Sorry to go off on a tangent on your thread, SixCylinder!

Sadly the documents which have all the exact details were lost in a computer crash in 2007, it was apparently originally a promotional/press car according to an expert a few years back...nobody ever explained to me why it had an Inverness rather than Birmingham registration number though...so I can't cite the veracity of that claim.  Sadly I don't have a note of the VIN so can't do any further research myself, unless anyone can figure out a way to get a VIN out of a long dead registration...in which case I'd be all ears.

I have just watched a youtube clip on the Fiat Dino Spyder and it has reminded me I went to Leeds with a friend on a Friday evening rush hour so I could drive his new blind purchase, lower priced Fiat Dino Coupe home. I drove it away very nervously clutching my AA card as my only protection from this Italian half exotica, it drove home very well with no major issues so I put my AA card away and then my reward came. I was lent the car for the weekend along with permission to take it the Auto Italia show at Gaydon, this was August 2010. I loved the car and the excitement of driving something so unusual and the fact my friend trusted me to keep his new baby for the weekend.

P1010034 broad.jpg

P1010036 broad.jpg

P1000975 broad.jpg

P1000981 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Same air intake as the one Tyrrell's had to!

They are a lovely shape things aren't they? 

It was the Tyrrell Video that I had been watching. I used to regularly see a spider in High Wycombe when I was still at school there, left an impression so I have always be aware of them. My Observer's book of Automobiles always showed the coupe so I had to ask my father what it was and then I thought the spider must be pretty special not to be in the book. As a child I could recite the Observer's book of Automobiles from memory and if you reed out a engine cc I could tell you what car it was.

Yes I love the looks of both the coupe and the spider.

My friends car is flattered in those photos because it was a tired old car with a very poor respray and slit upholstery. From memory my friend paid something like £3300 for it, did a ton of work including paintwork and sold it for £7000ish 2 years later.

IMG_20200508_092735 crop.jpg

1 minute ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

The 3+E was the Maestro with the Polo/Golf Formel E box and it's mega tall fourth gear and a huge jump from third to fourth. The Metro HLE had standard(ish) ratios but a really tall final drive.

It is a long time ago but I seem to remember the Metro HLE gearknob marked 1-3 + E?