Jump to content

Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Open Weekend 15/16 June


Six-cylinder

Recommended Posts

For "Drive It Day" I just drove the 28 year old Volvo 940. It is a car that is special and quite old with the design dating back to 1982, but at the same time so easy to use.

Colin came over and his "Drive It Day" car, his Minivan. I thanked him for bringing me that spares car!

The plan was to get my Mini to start even if it was only from a petrol can at this stage. Things did not progress well as when I cranked the engine a lot to expel the ATF oil I had put down the cylinder I got a very bad oil leak. I hadn't noticed but the oil filter is missing complete with housing. 

IMG_20240421_182719 broad.jpg

IMG_20240421_183702 broad.jpg

IMG_20240421_144801 broad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/04/2024 at 20:02, Six-cylinder said:

now a bit of advice about the tyres and what shape I should order.

None, until you've confirmed that the first time you pull away the engine, front subframe and bulkhead isn't going to rip away from the rest of the car and bugger off down the road on it's own, leaving you sat in the remains of the car looking out into fresh air.

:mrgreen:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Talbot said:

None, until you've confirmed that the first time you pull away the engine, front subframe and bulkhead isn't going to rip away from the rest of the car and bugger off down the road on it's own, leaving you sat in the remains of the car looking out into fresh air.

:mrgreen:

Pfft, small details 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Talbot said:

None, until you've confirmed that the first time you pull away the engine, front subframe and bulkhead isn't going to rip away from the rest of the car and bugger off down the road on it's own, leaving you sat in the remains of the car looking out into fresh air.

:mrgreen:

You can't push it around with 4 flat tyres.

You have got it in for that poor little car!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

None, until you've confirmed that the first time you pull away the engine, front subframe and bulkhead isn't going to rip away from the rest of the car and bugger off down the road on it's own, leaving you sat in the remains of the car looking out into fresh air.

:mrgreen:

image.png.1d45a262137dc7c660d88cec51c2976f.png

(if you play this scene backwards you could probably convince people thats how they assembled minis in the olden days...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

You can't push it around with 4 flat tyres.

You have got it in for that poor little car!

 

I've welded a few similar year Minis in the past.  They were utterly rotten... 25 years ago!  That rot hole in the sill is worrying.  I honestly don't think it's got any sills at all.  Inner or outer, offside or nearside!

Do the current tyres not even hold air?  I'd be looking to see if you can get hold of a set of buggered-but-hold-wind tyres for the moment for as cheap as possible to roll it around on for the moment.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Do the current tyres not even hold air?  I'd be looking to see if you can get hold of a set of buggered-but-hold-wind tyres for the moment for as cheap as possible to roll it around on for the moment.

Inner tubes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Do the current tyres not even hold air?  I'd be looking to see if you can get hold of a set of buggered-but-hold-wind tyres for the moment for as cheap as possible to roll it around on for the moment.

 

None of them inflated after 20+ years and 2 of the rims are knackered.

Mrs6C made it a wreath!

IMG_20240420_144200 crop wheel broad.jpg

IMG_20240411_171222 broad.jpg

IMG_20240411_171529 broad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those Courier tyres look nearly as bad as the set I took off the Montego.

If youre feeling flush with cash you can still buy new Camac tyres that used to feature on every 10" wheel Mini back in the day!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tommyboy12 said:

Those Courier tyres look nearly as bad as the set I took off the Montego.

If youre feeling flush with cash you can still buy new Camac tyres that used to feature on every 10" wheel Mini back in the day!

That's what I've got on TPA.  Mainly because they were readily available, cheap and looked appropriate.  Sure they're not the best thing out there but they're entirely adequate for a small and light car.  

I do have some concerns about there being any solid structure left to this to anchor repairs to, and I'm generally all for giving it a go.  It just looks precariously close to snapping in half from the state of the sills.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe it's all part of the plan and what's going to happen this year is the juualars are going to pay a visit and weld the entire front end of it to one of the train engines, wire* it up and have it as traction for the railway. Then the seats will become the buffet carriage? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Maybe it's all part of the plan and what's going to happen this year is the juualars are going to pay a visit and weld the entire front end of it to one of the train engines, wire* it up and have it as traction for the railway. Then the seats will become the buffet carriage? 

A friction-driven, narrow gauge road-railer... now there's an idea... 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tommyboy12 said:

Those Courier tyres look nearly as bad as the set I took off the Montego.

If youre feeling flush with cash you can still buy new Camac tyres that used to feature on every 10" wheel Mini back in the day!

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/mini.html
 

I think it’s a bit like getting a Savill row suit for a homeless person. They will look better, but more necessary expense is overlooked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I think it’s a bit like getting a Savill row suit for a homeless person. They will look better, but more necessary expense is overlooked.

That is a far better similie than I was going to use.  And less crude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree while its a rolling shell. I do like the look of period correct tyres for when its back on the road though. New tyres arent cheap for Minis nowadays unfortunately. Even budgets will set you back £60 each so in comparison I dont think £80-90 for some period correct ones is too bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

However, what this car needs is the 4 old wheels with slave tyres that hold air, that some mini enthusiast has kicking about in the back of their garage (possibly from where they have bought new tyres themselves) and is willing to sell on for a tenner.  That will be enough to allow the car to be rolled about and potentially driven around the FoD.

Should it ever get to the point that it ventures back onto the road under it's own power, a set of tyres could be bought then.  New tyres bought now would be marginally pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Talbot said:

However, what this car needs is the 4 old wheels with slave tyres that hold air, that some mini enthusiast has kicking about in the back of their garage (possibly from where they have bought new tyres themselves) and is willing to sell on for a tenner.  That will be enough to allow the car to be rolled about and potentially driven around the FoD.

you make it sound so easy! 

 

but as me and @Mrs6C can attest too, it turns out 10 inch mini wheels are kinda scarce these days, took a fair bit of wrangling to procure a set with tyres-that-hold-air, for our Model 70's

 

that being said, there should be 1 or 2 spare 10 inch rims floating about in the barn from said Model 70 adventures, not sure about tyres themselves however

 

I am still waiting for @BorniteIdentity to get back to me about the old tyres from his mini :mrgreen:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Talbot said:

Has anyone been on a Mini-specific forum or FB group to ask if anyone has any no-longer-legal-but-not-fcuked 10" tyres?

An alternative might be old trailer tyres, as many of them now use 10" tyres.  Completely the wrong specification, but if they hold air..

thats a point, VJN953S had trailer tyres incorrectly fitted to it @AdgeCutler do you still have those kicking about? :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

you make it sound so easy! 

 

but as me and @Mrs6C can attest too, it turns out 10 inch mini wheels are kinda scarce these days, took a fair bit of wrangling to procure a set with tyres-that-hold-air, for our Model 70's

 

that being said, there should be 1 or 2 spare 10 inch rims floating about in the barn from said Model 70 adventures, not sure about tyres themselves however

 

I am still waiting for @BorniteIdentity to get back to me about the old tyres from his mini :mrgreen:

I wouldn’t let you anywhere near them. The wheels I have must have twenty year old rubber on, and I have a conscience. If you must drive a plastic death trap, at least have some nice tyres 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I wouldn’t let you anywhere near them. The wheels I have must have twenty year old rubber on, and I have a conscience. If you must drive a plastic death trap, at least have some nice tyres 😉

Oh I was referring to the new tyres that got munched because of iffy tracking, that incident happened at the same time we where trying to find something that would hold air for rolling around the FoD 

hence why this is all Deja Vu for me LOL

 

dont worry REV had a set of Falken 145R10's fitted a while back now, all's  well there :) 

20200710_100549.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...