Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

Home now and through the shower, although I'll look like I've fingered smurfette for a few days 😂

20220813_085713.thumb.jpg.d8f2a9985df09104c4007eedc7c8cfd0.jpg

20220813_100557.thumb.jpg.629b8eff4d5cf6b9440d291d63642945.jpg

20220813_100605.thumb.jpg.e001cf7995e1d227a64be388dcfd5ef5.jpg

20220813_111257.thumb.jpg.e0900f9ae94f943b2694d54938f7e627.jpg

20220813_111302.thumb.jpg.9bce06c657d644f6f13f35e1b3e48af0.jpg

All came up very nicely, interior still needs a good clean but I was bouncing the car whilst engine fettling was occurring which wasn't ideal! Maybe next weekend

Is it running yet? 

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD 14 Aug with added paddling pool, starts 10am Sunday!
15 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Is it running yet? 

The short answer is yes we got it running.

But and it is a big BUT:

New battery and it turned over just fine on the key.

It spat out oil when we first turned it over, that turned out to be there was no oil filter. We then changed the oil and put on a new filter. I am told the oil did not look too bad for very old oil.

There was no spark and a new set of points and condenser were needed. Usual problem with modern replacement parts the wire was too short and had to be extended with the old one.

It then coughed and spluttered like it wanted to go. We new the problem was  30 year old petrol. We tried to drain the tank and got an electric pump that blew up, yes really blew up a component inside. Investigation of the tank showed the fuel level sender was seized and the bottom of the tank was a thick sludge.

We then went for start up using a can of fuel and it started ok. It ran, then we had a loud mechanical knocking and stopped it. My theory is we had a blocked oilway or even oil pump pick up strainer.

There was no clutch fluid and we added some, but now the pedal is solid and won't move.

The brake pedal also does nothing.

I needed to go home at one point and the easiest car to get out was @BL Bloke Peugeot 205GL so I borrowed that, thing is when I borrowed it the second time they was a feeling I liked it a bit too much!

So that is where the day finished. I am very grateful to @beko1987 who turned out at 7.30am to escape the heat and did a fantastic job transforming the appearance of the Saab. The rest of the crew @Slowsilver @AxWomble @bobdisk @BL Bloke@Zelandeth @Mrs6C and non AS members were also fantastic for getting it going.

Thanks to @Andyrew in spite of claiming he had to work during the heavy lifting, for providing the reserve car for the chip shop run car, a MX5 on a beautiful summers evening. It is a long time since I did the chip shop run myself but sunshine and an MX5 had me personally playing chauffeur in it.

Thank you all.

IMG_20220813_113450 broad.jpg

IMG_20220813_133347 broad.jpg

IMG_20220813_133536 broad.jpg

IMG_20220813_163936 broad.jpg

IMG_20220813_170455 broad.jpg

IMG_20220813_174746 broad.jpg

7 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

The short answer is yes we got it running.

But and it is a big BUT:

New battery and it turned over just fine on the key.

It spat out oil when we first turned it over, that turned out to be there was no oil filter. We then changed the oil and put on a new filter. I am told the oil did not look too bad for very old oil.

There was no spark and a new set of points and condenser were needed. Usual problem with modern replacement parts the wire was too short and had to be extended with the old one.

It then coughed and spluttered like it wanted to go. We new the problem was  30 year old petrol. We tried to drain the tank and got an electric pump that blew up, yes really blew up a component inside. Investigation of the tank showed the fuel level sender was seized and the bottom of the tank was a thick sludge.

We then went for start up using a can of fuel and it started ok. It ran, then we had a loud mechanical knocking and stopped it. My theory is we had a blocked oilway or even oil pump pick up strainer.

There was no clutch fluid and we added some, but now the pedal is solid and won't move.

The brake pedal also does nothing.

I needed to go home at one point and the easiest car to get out was @BL Bloke Peugeot 205GL so I borrowed that, thing is when I borrowed it the second time they was a feeling I liked it a bit too much!

So that is where the day finished. I am very grateful to @beko1987 who turned out at 7.30am to escape the heat and did a fantastic job transforming the appearance of the Saab. The rest of the crew @Slowsilver @AxWomble @bobdisk @BL Bloke@Zelandeth @Mrs6C and non AS members were also fantastic for getting it going.

Thanks to @Andyrew in spite of claiming he had to work during the heavy lifting, for providing the reserve car for the chip shop run car, a MX5 on a beautiful summers evening. It is a long time since I did the chip shop run myself but sunshine and an MX5 had me personally playing chauffeur in it.

Thank you all.

IMG_20220813_113450 broad.jpg

IMG_20220813_133347 broad.jpg

IMG_20220813_133536 broad.jpg

IMG_20220813_163936 broad.jpg

IMG_20220813_170455 broad.jpg

IMG_20220813_174746 broad.jpg

Bugger on the knocking.  Definitely first port of call would be the strainer I'd wager given it sounded healthy when it was running on the easy start just before I had to head home.

Hopefully clutch is just the slave cylinder being stuck and it's not too hard to change.

Thanks @Noel Tidybeard a good day at the FoD too hot to do much but I did get to play with some cars. I drove the C15, BiTurbo, DS and I bet not many have driven that combination on one day.

I am hoping the owner of the MG ZT will sign up to be an Autoshite member and says he will come along again next weekend anyway.

IMG_20220814_181145 broad.jpg

IMG_20220814_181204 broad.jpg

IMG_20220814_190306 broad.jpg

IMG_20220814_195819 broad.jpg

IMG_20220814_200005 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD 20th Aug bring your garage cloths it's dirty work!

FoD 20/21 August bring your garage cloths it dirty work!

It was great we got the Saab 95 started but there is some more to do, we have a noise from the engine, fuel tank is out, no clutch and no brakes.  

Gaskets are ordered along with other parts so there is a fair bit to do.

Clean fuel tank and refit. Change fuel pipe where appropriate.

Take off rockers and check for oil in rockers

Take off sump and check the oil pick up is not blocked

Replace the water pump

Take off all wheels and check condition of brakes

Clean interior

Refurbish clutch master cylinder and slave

Fish and chip shop run!

IMG_20220814_193108 broad.jpg

IMG_20220814_193135 broad.jpg

My Ford V4 experience (Essex) included the drive quill to the oil pump rounding off leading rapidly to big end failure. I think your Cologne V4 might use the same delicate oil pump drive. Can you get the sump off without taking the engine out? I think there might be a “structural undertray” on these SaaBs.

here was hoping to do this weekend but

radwood is only on the sat (the nice day)

i was hoping to do fod then do radwood so cant do that

but

its gonna hoof with rain on the sunday so dont wanna do that cos dont wanna use the car and the trains are fucked again i think

ffs

4 hours ago, Asimo said:

My Ford V4 experience (Essex) included the drive quill to the oil pump rounding off leading rapidly to big end failure. I think your Cologne V4 might use the same delicate oil pump drive. Can you get the sump off without taking the engine out? I think there might be a “structural undertray” on these SaaBs.

This is the only picture I have of the underside.

IMG_20220810_093735 broad.jpg

53 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

This is the only picture I have of the underside.

IMG_20220810_093735 broad.jpg

The sump is the black painted section above and in front of the surface-rusted tubular bar that runs from left to right. I didn't get a good look when I dropped the oil but from that picture it looks a little like the tubular section may form an obstruction to its removal 

That slightly rusty left/right bar is the exhaust cross pipe. 

From memory - and we're going back 20+ years here - it's really not a major operation to get the engine out of one of these.  I seem to recall getting the driveshafts back into place being the thing which caused the most swearing.

A lot of the coolant lines etc looked like they really could do with replacement anyway, so just planning ahead and have new hoses/clips on hand that probably bypasses at least 70% of the frustration that's usually involved in getting rusty jubilee clips undone and hoses welded to their connectors off.

Obviously that's easy for me to say when I'm spending someone else's parts money!

1 hour ago, AxWomble said:

The sump is the black painted section above and in front of the surface-rusted tubular bar that runs from left to right. I didn't get a good look when I dropped the oil but from that picture it looks a little like the tubular section may form an obstruction to its removal 

I have changed an engine in one of these, leaving the gearbox in place, and I do not remember it as being difficult once the bonnet is out of the way.   I wouldn't bother trying to get the sump off in situ.

Wuvvum is right, its an aftermarket pump. I got it to put in the Daf  to replace the mechanical pump. It will prime the carb if I haven't used the car for a while. They are both the same outside, but mine has a different pcb. I was hoping they were the same so I could get the number for a replacement thyristor.