Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

4 hours ago, beko1987 said:

If we all bought a 30m reel each would we make it from chez_6cyl to the fod over the fields inbetween? 

I'm sure the length would be fine... 

Distance from chez_6cyl to the FOD:  Direct line: 1800m.

Assuming we can do direct line, that would be 60(!) 30m extensions plugged into each other.  Even if they are decent quality at 2.5mm copper, you wouldn't be able to put any significant load on it.  Even a lower-power kettle (2kw) would give you a massive volt drop, with only 550w available at the kettle, and 500w lost in the cable.

If we could do that in 10mm2 cable (like would supply an oven or a lower power electric shower, you'd still be looking at a volt drop to about 185v, meaning the kettle above would now be about 1300w and you'd lose 300w in the cable.  Better than above, but still not good.

Welding would be impossible.  Even at lower power, the moment you try to strike the arc, the available voltage would drop off, so your torch voltage would drop too, meaning the arc would probably go out.

... and 1800m of 10mm2 cable, at today's prices from screwfix is £4500.  Not allowing for any jointing, or connectors either end.  Or indeed the fact that the loop resistance would be sufficiently high that fault current would be too low, so a seperate grounding setup would be needed at the far end, probably costing a few hundred.

The best case we could hope for would be using 16mm2 cable from the neighbour 500m away.  That works out better, as the same kettle as above would be running at 1850w, and you'd lose 70w in the cable.  Quite a bit better, and welding *might* work on that, as the volt drop on arc strike would be entirely manageable.

However, 16mm2 cable is not generally available in twin-and-earth (screwfix don't sell it) and it would need to be in steel-wire-armour cable anyway, which is then about £3500.  We could possibly cheat and use 16mm green-and-yellow sheathed cable, which is available in longer lengths but that's still most of £2k to get those 500m.

I've been using a kettle as the load, as it's purely resistive, meaning the loads are easy to calculate.  In reality, we can easily use a kettle on a small generator at the FOD, as a generator can ramp up to run a resistive load quite happily.  What this does represent is the instant volt drop between the mig wire about to contact the work, and the moment that it does.

So, to weld at the FOD we need about £3k's worth of electrical installation, a Diesel welder or a fairly large inverter and battery pack (plus some way of keeping that battery pack charged be that either a generator or a significant solar array.)

Edit:  It's also worth noting that most diesel welders are arc welders ONLY, and I suspect they simply have a nice big smoothing capacitor in them to allow the engine to ramp up in time and then maintain the (fairly stable) arc from a welding rod to the workpiece.  I've never seen a diesel mig welder.  Not even sure if it's possible to have that combination.

Welding at the house sounds like a better plan, if someone is willing to do it. Sounds though like it could be more complicated to do (the word 'rust' having been mentioned) than a quick job though. Perhaps if you trailered it up, we could assess and prepare it for welding (clean up the metal, maybe fabricate a new piece) then if it turns out to be more complicated to fix than the weekend and willing volunteers feel able to accommodate, you can trail it home and have someone local do the work at your leisure, with the preparation at least having been done?

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

Welding at the house sounds like a better plan, if someone is willing to do it. Sounds though like it could be more complicated to do (the word 'rust' having been mentioned) than a quick job though. Perhaps if you trailered it up, we could assess and prepare it for welding (clean up the metal, maybe fabricate a new piece) then if it turns out to be more complicated to fix than the weekend and willing volunteers feel able to accommodate, you can trail it home and have someone local do the work at your leisure, with the preparation at least having been done?

There is a place near me that can do it, they have a lift, which will be better than ramps, so I will go and see what they say. I will also contact the Kitten side of the Reliant register to see if its a usual thing, and what they do. 

On 5/12/2021 at 7:31 PM, Floatylight said:

Been tootling round in @Six-cylinders 306 convertible and doing a bit of tinkering.

Todays tinkering abs light, thought I'd start with the front sensors and the problem was immediately obvious..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YLznQsF6Cq9YFL2d9

Sorting this for @Six-cylinderis a bit beyond my capabilities, anyone localish (Stafford) a willing volunteer if I get the bit? Alternatively it's going to be a garage job.

I have ordered a new CV joint with rotor through @Andyrew

It is a fairly common thing on the kitten +now they are knocking on a bit) a friend had both his snap after loaning rh car to his nephew for a few weeks... I have welded on a new handbrake cable mount to the axle in one of mine,indeed was the first time I ever welded,I bought a gasless.mig just for that job and to teach me how to do it.i certainly wouldn't advise driving it any distance like that.as access is easy on a ramp I would get a local mechanic to do it personally.

Pics of the broken mount, and one of the other, still ok.  Both handbrake cable pivots looks a bit rough as well.  Until I find what professionals might say, I will probably remove it for sale, until I am satisfied with it.  I also need another drivers seat. It has 2 passenger seats, the one in the drivers place broke.

P1030903.JPG

P1030906.JPG

P1030907.JPG

P1030909.JPG

P1030915.JPG

11 hours ago, Talbot said:

Later, I am going to have to do the volt-drop calc on that extension cable.

In the meantime, for your rear brakes, I have a coil of brake pipe, new ends, a tube cutter, brake pipe spanners and crows-foot sockets.  What I cannot currently find is my flaring tool.  I may be able to borrow one for the weekend, unless anyone else has one they can bring?

Found the flaring tool, and the pipe bender ! Will bring them (and the diagnostic) 

Sadly, no Kitten, it wont be fixed by then.

10 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

A brakefest! My aim is to get Dolly's brakes serviced over the weekend... might well tap you @Andyrew for some flexible hoses for that...

Ohh yay :) 

Model 70 rear flexible hoses are shared with the Front of a Mk I Triumph GT6 among other cars and can seemingly most commonly be found under the part number GBH203

im not sure if the Model 70 front hose has been figured out yet, but there might be some in the parts stash

(which lists small number but does not mention if they are front or rear!)

55 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Ohh yay :) 

Model 70 rear flexible hoses are shared with the Front of a Mk I Triumph GT6 among other cars and can seemingly most commonly be found under the part number GBH203

im not sure if the Model 70 front hose has been figured out yet, but there might be some in the parts stash

(which lists small number but does not mention if they are front or rear!)

Ill theoretically and hopefully  have a decent used hose going spare. .. We'll offer it up! 

7 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Ill see if what i can find. 

Thanks! The part no. is GBH203...

This eBay listing says (for a Goodridge stainless steel equivalent): The overall length including end fittings is 305mm and have male 3/8ths UNF ends.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-GT6-VITESSE-GOODRIDGE-STAINLESS-STEEL-FRONT-OR-REAR-BRAKE-HOSE-GBH203-/372519487628

There is no obligation to do anything visiting us, but to keep you from going into town and vandalising bus shelters there are a few projects available to keep you busy.

Toledo –paint anti rust primer on open rust wound – inspect and write parts required list

Trevi – last year Zel put rust killer on the worst rust spots but they now need filler/paint on them.

Invacar – inspect the brakes

Condor mower - needs starting and adjusting to run well

VW Beetle – Glue glass rear window into hood

Astravan – replace front spring

Citroen AX – clean and polish

Peugeot 306 Cab – replace cv joint

Mazda MX5 -  collect on trailer - fit new exhaust

Westwood mower – check oil and cut the grass

Get the 3 mopeds running