Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 31st July Evening talking rubbish at FoD & 21/22 August Date set for next Field of Dreams weekend

Six-cylinder

58 minutes ago, Yoss said:

If I was to buy another Triumph (that would be as well as, not in place of, my 1300TC) I think it would be a Vitesse saloon. I'd love a GT6, it is essentially the smallest possible body wrapped around the straight six engine, but prices have gone silly now. And where Vittesses are concerned you get a lot more for your money with a saloon over a convertible. And anyway I think the saloon looks better. Mr Michelotti put a lot of work into making the roof look like the rest of the car, whereas the convertible roof just looks like most other convertible roofs of the era. Mind you, a Vitesse estate would really tempt me. 

So far since 1977 I have had 3 convertible and 4 saloons Vitesses, my current one is a MK2 convertible I have owned for the last 16 years. 

The closest I have got to a Triumph 1300 saloon is a Toledo 2 door project car.

P1200339 broad.jpg

IMG_20201222_090930 broad.jpg

My driving instructor had a L reg white Toledo 4 door in 1976. This was my motivation for wanting mine.

My second car in 1977 was a Vitesse 2.0 MK1 saloon. I have had them almost continually except for a while when I bought my 1st house in 1982. Up to 1983 they were daily cars and I had 4. At one stage I worked in London and I ended up doing 40k miles in a Vitesse. When I got my next Vitesse in 1986 it was a leisure car and I had a company car by then.

This was my first Vitesse I bought for leisure and I had it resprayed.

Vitesse MKII Convertible Damson UWD 849G broad.jpg

27 minutes ago, Snake Charmer said:

A friends Father had a GT6 and I always admired it as a kid, I looked at the prices and considered one as a daily about a year ago.

I owned a GT6 once, it had been though a shop window. I Hasten to add not my doing I just bought it for spares.

GT6 MKI.jpg

17 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

You wait ages for a white Mercedes to come onto your drive then 2 turn up together! @Peter C @Zelandeth

IMG_20210728_133334 broad.jpg

IMG_20210728_162801 broad.jpg

IMG_20210728_134825 broad.jpg

IMG_20210728_162925 broad.jpg

funny that

as theres a Beige Mercedes W123 Estate (complete with matching wheel trims :) ) that iv seen twice now on my driving lessons

curiously once while we where arriving at wanstead, and then today when we where just leaving home

am I being stalked by it or something! remains to be seen if I see it again for a 3rd time next lesson...

11 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

i imagine a vitesse estate would be quite a thing

Obviously very easy to create, due to the Meccano nature of small Triumphs , but some were actually sold by Triumph, albeit not from Coventry . A few were created at the London Service and Parts depot in Park Royal, so we’re known as Park Royal Vitesse Estates.

D206D433-647E-4366-9E3C-2C6458A0E423.thumb.png.3c8d0c76a5fa001723d2b591be95332c.png

This is allegedly a genuine Park Royal. But as it would be so easy to recreate, who knows?

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

The obvious question though, if you had to pick one to take home, which would it be?

I would like a bigger engine but have always resisted the urge to upgrade because I have liked the blue estate car so much from day one 7 years ago. Looking at the outstanding 200E manual I would stick with what I have partly because mine is Auto and in spite of the stunning condition of @Peter C. My 200TE wants to visit Peter for a wash and brush up.

I think the tougher question would be if I could pick between your W123 230TE and my 200TE. I am just not sure what I would do, yours is a more stylish car with a bigger engine and mine a bit more modern for daily use and an old friend????????????

8 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Obviously very easy to create, due to the Meccano nature of small Triumphs , but some were actually sold by Triumph, albeit not from Coventry . A few were created at the London Service and Parts depot in Park Royal, so we’re known as Park Royal Vitesse Estates.

D206D433-647E-4366-9E3C-2C6458A0E423.thumb.png.3c8d0c76a5fa001723d2b591be95332c.png

This is allegedly a genuine Park Royal. But as it would be so easy to recreate, who knows?

I have friends locally who have a Vitesse Estate which is probably not a Park Royal car, but who knows the conversion was done a long time ago.

IMG_20190521_195756 broad.jpg

6 hours ago, Andyrew said:

You do have to wonder how the germans got the styling just right? not once but twice!

The earlier models classic shapes and the later car giving a nod to those highlights and iconic styling. 

Add to that comfort, and an air of class.

Stunning. . .

Screenshot_20210729-013324.thumb.jpg.aff65876a1ea245a537189c4acc06877.jpg

Mercs look alright aswell.

It was a surprise to me how much I have liked this car. A random purchase because it was there and I wanted to give it a try has been a big success.  

IMG_20210613_182621 broad.jpg