Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

20 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I did not find any other photos of Fairmonts wearing it that made be think it had been owner fitted. If I had know I would have left my photo of the emblem and fuzzy car for shiters to sweat over!

I think you are right in thinking it was owner fitted, I missed that this is a Fairmont and the emblem is from a posher Fairlane (which should have been obvious to me as there were never Fairlane wagons).

14 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

There is still plenty of room for campers.

I may be somewhat out of the loop, but what goes on at these weekends, or is it too secret to ask. Is it just meeting some people having some chats and "tinkering" (or watching people tinker)? 

And if the Audi behaves and gets a wheel bearing this week, I'm at a loose end this weekends

Slowsilver got the camping field mowed today but unfortunately when he went to mow the drive the cable clamp that supports the front of the cutter deck broke and ended the day. There is a plan to find a new one and have another go Friday.

If you are worried  that Slowsilver has hogged the mower don't worry there are still two orchards to cut.

IMG_20210705_144456 broad.jpg

IMG_20210705_144842 broad.jpg

IMG_20210705_161024 broad.jpg

IMG_20210705_161847 broad.jpg

IMG_20210705_163532 broad.jpg

IMG_20210705_163532 crop broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Spurious said:

I may be somewhat out of the loop, but what goes on at these weekends, or is it too secret to ask. Is it just meeting some people having some chats and "tinkering" (or watching people tinker)? 

And if the Audi behaves and gets a wheel bearing this week, I'm at a loose end this weekends

You have just about got it in one. Sit around drink tea and chat to other shiters is just fine. Bring your own project, car related or non car related. Help others with their projects.

Undertake small tasks or major works on our fleet, earlier this year the guys got a bit over exuberant and rebuilt our Carlton engine in the field!

I posted some ideas for the weekend last Saturday 3.40 pm on page 315.

Anything that is legal decent and honest is fine just be careful not to hurt yourself or others.

Saturday evening our large fire cage is usually lit and conversation can continue until the wee small hours.

If you want to come PM me for joining instructions.

P1130066 broad.jpg

33 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

You have just about got it in one. Sit around drink tea and chat to other shiters is just fine. Bring your own project, car related or non car related. Help others with their projects.

Undertake small tasks or major works on our fleet, earlier this year the guys got a bit over exuberant and rebuilt our Carlton engine in the field!

I posted some ideas for the weekend last Saturday 3.40 pm on page 315.

Anything that is legal decent and honest is fine just be careful not to hurt yourself or others.

Saturday evening our large fire cage is usually lit and conversation can continue until the wee small hours.

If you want to come PM me for joining instructions.

P1130066 broad.jpg

Sounds great, I'll send a PM shortly. 

On 7/4/2021 at 8:59 PM, Six-cylinder said:

It looks like the bonnet emblem is after market so here are the real photos.

IMG_20210704_164352 broad.jpg

IMG_20210704_163854 broad.jpg

IMG_20210704_163957 broad.jpg

That looks like a funeral director’s ‘bring out your dead’ wagon. Or private ambulance, to use the genteel term. 

More stylish than a black PowerAce, I suppose (they mostly use Toyota vans round here).  

Although the one who has a Vectra C set-up - hearse and stretch limo (!) probably uses a white Astravan, or perhaps a Bedford Rascal.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Broken sunshine and showers for both Saturday and Sunday.

@Six-cylinder@Mrs6C How wet/dry is the field at the moment?

Yesterday the ground was hard but when we mowed the grass it was damp at grown level. We have a sprinkle of rain since, but unless we have lots of heavy rain this week we will be fine.

44 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

Hopefully one day I can rock up to one of these things in a car that isn't completely rotten. But the 10th isn't going to happen, and the 11th doesn't look good either.

Just come in a slightly rotten car, we're not judgemental! 

If you park it in the right spot @Talbot might quickly weld it up for you 🤔

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Just come in a slightly rotten car, we're not judgemental! 

If you park it in the right spot @Talbot might quickly weld it up for you 🤔

You're not judgemental, but the police with their APNR's would be fairly judgemental driving a SORN car that's rotten!

2 minutes ago, Spurious said:

All going well, I'll be going down Saturday morning from Manchester, probably be there by 10-11 or so. Probably stopping on the way down for some food, presume there's a shabby services along the way.... 

M6 A50 M1 A43 then interesting way into posh central :D

avoid brum

All going well, I'll be going down Saturday morning from Manchester, probably be there by 10-11 or so. Probably stopping on the way down for some food, presume there's a shabby services along the way.... 

Yea, avoid the 50mph average speed areas if they're still there if possible 

The 50mph cameras past Stoke were increased to 60mph last time I went through.

1 hour ago, davidfowler2000 said:

The 50mph cameras past Stoke were increased to 60mph last time I went through.

Which way are you passing through the Midlands on Saturday? Have cb radio,will convoy 😄.

I really have to get the auxiliary lights wired to the van and rear speakers installed. Don't suppose anyone wants to buy an erde tipper trailer too? Shiters discount applicable 

Yesterday was a bit of a car day starting with two new tyres for the Beetle. They were not worn out just badly dry rotted.

Andyrew came over in the afternoon and took a wheel off the Peugeot 504 Cab to check the disc size. Fortunately a few years ago I bought a wheel rim width measuring calliper that was able to work around the hub. It turns out the the answer to the question is not 42 but 273!

The XM had a totally flat battery and I had jumped it but the alarm kept sounding and needed a reset. My best battery charger has burnt out and using a starndard12 amp charger did not seem to start it charging so I put a cTec charger on it and eventually the charging light lit up. You need to have some charge in the battery  to reset the alarm so I will try it later. I am now looking to buy a 20a/30a charger.

I wanted to refit the boot spoiler on the BMW 323i and thought it was just a case of finding some nuts and bolts to get it fitted and reconnect the wires. Turns out at one end the bolts have been ripped out of the hard foam spoiler. Also the wires for the spoiler brake light have just been ripped out leaving short tails when they emerge from the foam. Andyrew volunteered to take the car and spoiler away and try and reunite them.

I now have two MX5's on the drive, I do like the way they look.

IMG_20210706_102246 broad.jpg

IMG_20210706_160120 broad.jpg

IMG_20210621_171019 broad v2.jpg

IMG_20210706_155111 crop MX5s broad.jpg