Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 31st July Evening talking rubbish at FoD & 21/22 August Date set for next Field of Dreams weekend

Six-cylinder

Any idea how buried in work your usual garage is just now?

I'm really wanting to throw the Xantia and a pile of bits at someone with a simple instruction of "stop the front end bloody clonking/rattling..."

I have neither the time, patience nor enthusiasm to do it myself as I've long since got past the point of being young and energetic enough to go taking bits of suspension apart if I can pay someone else to do it.  However my usual garage have told me that they reckon it would be about August 2023 that they'd get to it...so I'm looking for alternatives.

If you trust a garage that's a good enough recommendation for me.

1 hour ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

FOD spannering session for a XAN71A?

If folks wanted to have a bash at it I'm fine with that...I just hate doing suspension work beyond sphere changes (those are shot to, but that's something I just need to get off my tail and order new ones for), so wouldn't have expected folks to want to touch it!

I think I've got spares of pretty much every bush involved in stock at least.

The front end has been rattly the whole time I've had the car since 2017 and it's never been sorted even after a few passes through a garage...and it's really started to grate on me lately.  It's never really got any worse, and is just annoying.

Especially as I'm half pondering selling it at some point...and I'd A: like to actually experience the car properly sorted for a while again beforehand, and B: Always prefer to have a car as well sorted as I can before selling. 

Just know if I wait for me to get around to it I'll be waiting until...well probably forever or until something actually breaks.

I know the creak is just something these cars are sometimes prone to and is coming from inside the offside front strut itself, so there's not much to be done about that.  If we could evict the knocking noises though that would be 3/4 of the battle.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

The front end has been rattly the whole time I've had the car since 2017

When does it rattle/clonk and when is it quiet?  The front suspension on a Xantia is pretty simple really.. there cannot be that many places a clonk or rattle can come from.

11 hours ago, Talbot said:

When does it rattle/clonk and when is it quiet?  The front suspension on a Xantia is pretty simple really.. there cannot be that many places a clonk or rattle can come from.

This one is an activa though I think with more complex bits.

4 hours ago, richardmorris said:

This one is an activa though I think with more complex bits.

I don't think it's actually that much more complex - main difference is just the additional hydraulic ram on one side if I remember right.

IMG_20190919_164409.thumb.jpg.ce64eb7f64662c39f8a8c84268a7a5aa.jpg

There are a couple of additional sensors I think, but from a "structural" perspective I think that's the main difference.

The clonk is mostly there on undulating surfaces, sounds to the ear like a ball joint or drop link on the way out.

37 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I don't think it's actually that much more complex - main difference is just the additional hydraulic ram on one side if I remember right.

IMG_20190919_164409.thumb.jpg.ce64eb7f64662c39f8a8c84268a7a5aa.jpg

There are a couple of additional sensors I think, but from a "structural" perspective I think that's the main difference.

The clonk is mostly there on undulating surfaces, sounds to the ear like a ball joint or drop link on the way out.

Ah, for some reason I thought it was a lot different to standard.

A few weeks ago my BX failed to start in storage. When I returned for another attempt a couple of weeks later the started motor would not even turn.

Yesterday @Talbot came over to help me and the BX would not still would not turn its Starter even with my jump pack connected. Talbot had to remove the inlet manifold to get to the starter motor and found it was simply a furred up connector by the starter. The car now started easily, but as Talbot started putting some air ducking in place the engine cut out. Wiggling some wires by the air duck the engine cut in and out and he found another connector that was furred up. I think this was the original problem as to why it would not start.

It was a good day yesterday not having to transport a dead BX.

IMG_20210619_130700 broad.jpg

IMG_20210619_133120 broad.jpg

36 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

A few weeks ago my BX failed to start in storage. When I returned for another attempt a couple of weeks later the started motor would not even turn.

Yesterday @Talbot came over to help me and the BX would not still would not turn its Starter even with my jump pack connected. Talbot had to remove the inlet manifold to get to the starter motor and found it was simply a furred up connector by the starter. The car now started easily, but as Talbot started putting some air ducking in place the engine cut out. Wiggling some wires by the air duck the engine cut in and out and he found another connector that was furred up. I think this was the original problem as to why it would not start.

It was a good day yesterday not having to transport a dead BX.

IMG_20210619_130700 broad.jpg

IMG_20210619_133120 broad.jpg

That particular car does seem to enjoy trying your patience!

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

That particular car does seem to enjoy trying your patience!

Lack of use is causing the problems, the last time I used it was Sep 2019 because of Covid. It had stood in a nice dry garage from Oct 2007 when my mother was taken ill until April 2017 when I revived it.

The plan is to take it to the local Citroen Show in September.

Our C15 Van has been very difficult to start from cold turning but not starting. Talbot had a look and thinks it is the diesel filter seal allowing air in but I didn’t have one so have ordered one.

Sunday tinkering was spoilt by long periods drizzly rain.

Yesterday we started preparing the BMW 323i for sale, we polished out some scratches and n-s interior door card was repaired because the bolts on the arm rest were not fitted and all the pull was through the door card. We put some new wheel bolts on as the old ones were rusty and looked horrid. Then rain stopped play. Tomorrow I am going to collect the rear spoiler for it. I had already taken my son’s plate R88 KVS off it.

IMG_20181117_135108 crop filter broad.jpg

IMG_20210619_122035 broad.jpg

IMG_20210620_140306 broad.jpg

IMG_20210621_095353 broad.jpg

I’m having bad thoughts about making an effort to offload the Jaguar in favour of that BMW.

It would complement this well even if it isn’t the Compact I really want.

E568D2EB-BE91-4C60-89BD-CE2262CC93BB.thumb.jpeg.cd3b780f6c43d2a8cd1c158331478ca5.jpeg

Drizzly rain...Wouldn't think you were just down the road from us...It was ridiculously wet here! 

IMG_20210618_141723.thumb.jpg.61c88d9fee59eaffc9903468f3357c22.jpg

Maximum depth before it eventually stopped was about level with the second course of bricks - a.k.a. about 1.5" deep through most of the the garage.  Because some idiot built over the drainage channel that used to be here.

If folks wanted to have a bash at it I'm fine with that...I just hate doing suspension work beyond sphere changes (those are shot to, but that's something I just need to get off my tail and order new ones for), so wouldn't have expected folks to want to touch it!
I think I've got spares of pretty much every bush involved in stock at least.
The front end has been rattly the whole time I've had the car since 2017 and it's never been sorted even after a few passes through a garage...and it's really started to grate on me lately.  It's never really got any worse, and is just annoying.
Especially as I'm half pondering selling it at some point...and I'd A: like to actually experience the car properly sorted for a while again beforehand, and B: Always prefer to have a car as well sorted as I can before selling. 
Just know if I wait for me to get around to it I'll be waiting until...well probably forever or until something actually breaks.
I know the creak is just something these cars are sometimes prone to and is coming from inside the offside front strut itself, so there's not much to be done about that.  If we could evict the knocking noises though that would be 3/4 of the battle.

Sorry for the thread hijack. If you can get it up to 10 miles East of Hereford, my mate will sort it for you. Been a mechanic for over 50 years. He's 68 now, has Lukemia, but is the sort of person who can never retire. Has a workshop next to mine, and still does private jobs three days a week. It won't be done in a day, as he likes to take his time, but can ask him if you are interested.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 31st July Evening talking rubbish at FoD & 21/22 August Date set for next Field of Dreams weekend