Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Well that was quick and easy!

A few clicks and R88 KVS is off the BMW 323i Coupe and it is back to S228 CGT.

When I bought it in Jan 2014 is was wearing S10GMT, but the seller my friend took that off and it went back to S228 CGT while I had it. Then a year later my son took it over and put his plate R88 KVS on it.

P1260728 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Well that was quick and easy!

A few clicks and R88 KVS is off the BMW 323i Coupe and it is back to S228 CGT.

When I bought it in Jan 2014 is was wearing S10GMT, but the seller my friend took that off and it went back to S228 CGT while I had it. Then a year later my son took it over and put his plate R88 KVS on it.

P1260728 broad.jpg

Now I'm confused 😄

26 minutes ago, RichardK said:

That 323 coupe looks lovely. I've suddenly got all fond of E36s, even if I do have to do lots of work on mine.

10 years ago my friends were doing track days and I wanted to join in so bought an E36 328i Coupe manual Msport. I never did the track days but bonded with that car and E36s.

The black 323i Msport of many regs was my friends daily car and was maintained to a high standard. When he went to sell it he said he could not bear the idea of idiots coming to his house to kick the tyres and made me an offer I could not refuse to spare him the pain.  My son took it over, then went to Canada and it is now back with me, but I really don't need it so I am going to get it ready to sell.

Photo is father and son with our E36s

c15 Picture 019 broad.jpg

Honestly, if I’d had an E36 instead of the XJ6 I’d probably have perked up a bit about driving & fixing cars a lot sooner.

I still have A4 RTK to go on something - it was going to be the Tavria but I’ve decided it must be possible to get an NI plate with ZAZ 1102 or 1102 ZAZ on…

C45B8AA3-1428-45CC-BA2C-A6127C4325C7.thumb.jpeg.56d488ef6f601ca15d2feb2b13b999b9.jpeg

Almost done gingerfication. Tracking down a not-DEPO/other copy coupe indicator has been tricky.

17 minutes ago, RichardK said:

Honestly, if I’d had an E36 instead of the XJ6 I’d probably have perked up a bit about driving & fixing cars a lot sooner.

I still have A4 RTK to go on something - it was going to be the Tavria but I’ve decided it must be possible to get an NI plate with ZAZ 1102 or 1102 ZAZ on…

C45B8AA3-1428-45CC-BA2C-A6127C4325C7.thumb.jpeg.56d488ef6f601ca15d2feb2b13b999b9.jpeg

Almost done gingerfication. Tracking down a not-DEPO/other copy coupe indicator has been tricky.

One stage closer to getting back on the road after winter storage.

IMG_20210613_161814 braod.jpg

Any idea how buried in work your usual garage is just now?

I'm really wanting to throw the Xantia and a pile of bits at someone with a simple instruction of "stop the front end bloody clonking/rattling..."

I have neither the time, patience nor enthusiasm to do it myself as I've long since got past the point of being young and energetic enough to go taking bits of suspension apart if I can pay someone else to do it.  However my usual garage have told me that they reckon it would be about August 2023 that they'd get to it...so I'm looking for alternatives.

If you trust a garage that's a good enough recommendation for me.

1 hour ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

FOD spannering session for a XAN71A?

If folks wanted to have a bash at it I'm fine with that...I just hate doing suspension work beyond sphere changes (those are shot to, but that's something I just need to get off my tail and order new ones for), so wouldn't have expected folks to want to touch it!

I think I've got spares of pretty much every bush involved in stock at least.

The front end has been rattly the whole time I've had the car since 2017 and it's never been sorted even after a few passes through a garage...and it's really started to grate on me lately.  It's never really got any worse, and is just annoying.

Especially as I'm half pondering selling it at some point...and I'd A: like to actually experience the car properly sorted for a while again beforehand, and B: Always prefer to have a car as well sorted as I can before selling. 

Just know if I wait for me to get around to it I'll be waiting until...well probably forever or until something actually breaks.

I know the creak is just something these cars are sometimes prone to and is coming from inside the offside front strut itself, so there's not much to be done about that.  If we could evict the knocking noises though that would be 3/4 of the battle.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

The front end has been rattly the whole time I've had the car since 2017

When does it rattle/clonk and when is it quiet?  The front suspension on a Xantia is pretty simple really.. there cannot be that many places a clonk or rattle can come from.

11 hours ago, Talbot said:

When does it rattle/clonk and when is it quiet?  The front suspension on a Xantia is pretty simple really.. there cannot be that many places a clonk or rattle can come from.

This one is an activa though I think with more complex bits.

4 hours ago, richardmorris said:

This one is an activa though I think with more complex bits.

I don't think it's actually that much more complex - main difference is just the additional hydraulic ram on one side if I remember right.

IMG_20190919_164409.thumb.jpg.ce64eb7f64662c39f8a8c84268a7a5aa.jpg

There are a couple of additional sensors I think, but from a "structural" perspective I think that's the main difference.

The clonk is mostly there on undulating surfaces, sounds to the ear like a ball joint or drop link on the way out.

37 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I don't think it's actually that much more complex - main difference is just the additional hydraulic ram on one side if I remember right.

IMG_20190919_164409.thumb.jpg.ce64eb7f64662c39f8a8c84268a7a5aa.jpg

There are a couple of additional sensors I think, but from a "structural" perspective I think that's the main difference.

The clonk is mostly there on undulating surfaces, sounds to the ear like a ball joint or drop link on the way out.

Ah, for some reason I thought it was a lot different to standard.

A few weeks ago my BX failed to start in storage. When I returned for another attempt a couple of weeks later the started motor would not even turn.

Yesterday @Talbot came over to help me and the BX would not still would not turn its Starter even with my jump pack connected. Talbot had to remove the inlet manifold to get to the starter motor and found it was simply a furred up connector by the starter. The car now started easily, but as Talbot started putting some air ducking in place the engine cut out. Wiggling some wires by the air duck the engine cut in and out and he found another connector that was furred up. I think this was the original problem as to why it would not start.

It was a good day yesterday not having to transport a dead BX.

IMG_20210619_130700 broad.jpg

IMG_20210619_133120 broad.jpg

36 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

A few weeks ago my BX failed to start in storage. When I returned for another attempt a couple of weeks later the started motor would not even turn.

Yesterday @Talbot came over to help me and the BX would not still would not turn its Starter even with my jump pack connected. Talbot had to remove the inlet manifold to get to the starter motor and found it was simply a furred up connector by the starter. The car now started easily, but as Talbot started putting some air ducking in place the engine cut out. Wiggling some wires by the air duck the engine cut in and out and he found another connector that was furred up. I think this was the original problem as to why it would not start.

It was a good day yesterday not having to transport a dead BX.

IMG_20210619_130700 broad.jpg

IMG_20210619_133120 broad.jpg

That particular car does seem to enjoy trying your patience!