Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

46 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

Meh, 48v is low , easy enough to rustle up that kind of voltage just depends on the amperage you need to run a welder. I suspect a lot of amps - sturdy leads are in order.

if we assume 2000W, thats "only" 41 amps or so  which is within the realms of some household wiring (say from a shower circuit)

would be much worse if it was 12V which would be 166A!

when I am eventually on the road with a car, I must see about dragging one of my big fuck off lightbulbs (and its associated control gear) down with me

then we can light it up in the middle of the FoD and convince the Locals that @Mrs6C has just added a UFO to her eclectic collection of vehicles :mrgreen: 

(im assuming the inverter is a pure sine-wave one?)

46 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

That reminds me, I must conjure up a 16.1v charge voltage for the T42 In the morning.

I have (among my many other vintage Apple laptops, I did try and get a suitably vintage ThinkPad but my Hermes lost it *sad face*) a PowerBook G3 Kanga who's 24 year old battery somehow will still power the machine for several hours 

I would love to bring it with me, but it weighs a little* much for my back sadly

6 hours ago, Inspector Morose said:

Meh, 48v is low , easy enough to rustle up that kind of voltage just depends on the amperage you need to run a welder.

Indeed.  intentionally selected to keep it at under 50VDC so that it qualifies as SELV.  You can get inverters with 60 and 72VDC inputs, meaning amps are reduced for the same power, but 72 (actually well over 80 for charging) volts is getting a little iffy.  one slip with a battery clamp and you'll have an instant DC welder on your hands without intending to.

Bodywork welding is somewhere in the region of 1.0-1.5kw load on average, so this might work.  it will be drawing a good few amps from 48V of lead-acid batteries, but well within the realms of a few bits of 25mm2 cable pulled from some scrap cars. (Not Chris's cars I hasten to add!)

On a scale of 1 to 5 with flip flops at 1 and wellies at 5, what are the ground conditions after a wet May?

Hoping to arrive about 12.30ish. The M25 is a thing of wonder as in "I wonder if we should go clockwise or counterclockwise"

4 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

On a scale of 1 to 5 with flip flops at 1 and wellies at 5, what are the ground conditions after a wet May?

Hoping to arrive about 12.30ish. The M25 is a thing of wonder as in "I wonder if we should go clockwise or counterclockwise"

I've got wellies in the car but old trainers are on now. It'll be damp grass but shouldn't be sodden wet

6 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Half the job is done! 

20210529_104659.thumb.jpg.f464669ef951c84666281436282158c7.jpg

The warranty and after sales service on this used car is top notch, the previous owner gave me a hand! 

20210529_111426.thumb.jpg.f12556b90ba1a24cc5626adeae3c5e9d.jpg

All came undone very easily, perhaps too much so! I'm sure the rear pipes will make themselves known though once we've stopped for lunch

20210529_113732.thumb.jpg.9aeb415cfa4ea3cea7399f053d6f1877.jpg

And in a surprise to everyone the rear flexi's came undone with zero issues, took @Talbot longer to fight a retaining clip than do both sides!

Brakes feel way better now! And that's the last  job on the car done. This whole driving 2000 miles in 12 months does wonders for the replacement schedule side of things... Bar the aux belt anything else that goes wrong is new and unknown! 

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Two bathed children and we've just gone fuck it, shall we go back tomorrow? 

Is there room? I can help take the strut out of the van if it's not done tonight, done it twice before on another vauxhall! 

There is room as I am guessing around 20 the same as today.

23 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Thank you @Six-cylinder and @Mrs6C for your hospitality today, it was really nice to come up again and see familar faces again, and new faces for the first time.

Trip home was slow but uneventful - hope everyone enjoys Sunday and Monday.

Was it your box of stuff for sale with the Morris 1000 handbook in it?

I've already got one of those (not sure why) but I am interested in the angle grinder. If it isn't already sold PM me with a price including postage please.

18 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

Was it your box of stuff for sale with the Morris 1000 handbook in it?

I've already got one of those (not sure why) but I am interested in the angle grinder. If it isn't already sold PM me with a price including postage please.

Yes my box of tat! PM incoming

1 hour ago, Floatylight said:

On our way!

16223647652721074210199848135000.jpg

Good to see you are wearing the correct attire for British open top motoring: Baseball cap to keep sun out of eyes, Poloroid specs for the cool look  and lots of clothes because it is still a bit chilly this morning.

Have a great day out and do not set the satnav to 'most direct route' if it takes you through Hemel and Leighton town centres.