Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

10 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Will there be any smoll-train-related activity going on?

WHS ^^^

Yes, I hope so, although with a push-along flat wagon rather than any particular mechnical moive power! Hope to get a few track panels laid out in the orchard to enjoy a push-along/scoot-style trundle from end to end!

Also, there will be cider...

I am utterly amazed at the transformation of the Carlton. It looked totally hopeless when first pictured, now it looks very smart indeed! 

Are there any ramps available at the FoD?  My MX5 has the usual issues with the front chassis rails (i e. holes where the anti-roll bar bolts on) and I need to get some decent pics to show a garage/welder for the purposes of pricing up the job. 

I haven’t found one yet, any recommendations welcome! Lots of garages don’t do welding jobs anymore....

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I am utterly amazed at the transformation of the Carlton. It looked totally hopeless when first pictured, now it looks very smart indeed! 

Are there any ramps available at the FoD?  My MX5 has the usual issues with the front chassis rails (i e. holes where the anti-roll bar bolts on) and I need to get some decent pics to show a garage/welder for the purposes of pricing up the job. 

I haven’t found one yet, any recommendations welcome! Lots of garages don’t do welding jobs anymore....

Yes there are ramps at the FoD

Afraid I won't be able to make it this weekend. Aside the fact I've got too much going on at home, I can't drive the Accord that far as it need tidying up, and also it's running so rich I'd give myself CO poisoning, and I don't want to drive the Rover that far with the brakes feeling like they do. It also isn't ideal for camping  - while certainly possible, I don't know how my back would hold up to it. 

Apologies we’re out this weekend too. Can’t fit it with my family commitments. First time seeing very elderly grandparents since last summer. I’d thought it was a bit closer to my folks than it actually is!

For next time I have a pre-stamped pass to come from Mrs_b. 

7 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

I might bring my Thinkpad down and sit in a corner, tapping away, pretending it's 2005 and that I'm an engineer working off-site.

Bringing that up to date.. there is unlimited free wifi at the FoD now.  I should even have a 300w inverter with me to keep stuff charged as needed.

I've always liked the idea of the style of car rallies of old (you know, lines of old cars in a field type of thing) but with totally inappropriate stuff. One I wanted to organise was a chesterfield sofa rally where folk walk around rows of deeply buttoned leather seating, reading the info cards in front while getting in the way of photographers trying to capture an image of their favourite leather grain or patina.

Hence the idea of a vintage laptop rally in the middle of a field appeals to my warped grasp of reality.

55 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

I've always liked the idea of the style of car rallies of old (you know, lines of old cars in a field type of thing) but with totally inappropriate stuff. One I wanted to organise was a chesterfield sofa rally where folk walk around rows of deeply buttoned leather seating, reading the info cards in front while getting in the way of photographers trying to capture an image of their favourite leather grain or patina.

at a 2008 gathering of invalid vehicles in wales, someone had a line up/display of all the vintage artificial limbs that they had collected

does that count? LOL

I've not told the children yet, I wonder how close I can get before they twig? They helped me start packing the car wednesday and didnt realise, but the food bags lying around might be a giveaway tonight

I will have to make use of the communal kettle if thats OK, I can't find the lid for mine. I'll BYOM though, and will stick a few UHT milks in the car

Just wondering, what sort of times are people planning to show up at the FoD at tomorrow? 

I have kindly got a lift from the station sorted, but the person will only be able to pick me up at around 1PMish

so I was just wondering if anyone would be able to pick me up any earlier from Milton Keynes Central Station?

im just a bit mindful on missing out on FoD Fun thats all :) 

normally I force myself up at like 8AM and make head way to be at the FoD at around 10AMish to make sure Im there nice and early for a full day of fun :) 

its not a big problem or anything but just figured id check :) 

I'm not going to be able to get the kids up and sorted in time to get to mk Station but if you did Marylebone to Haddenham (it's a little halt station) that's not even a mile out of my way, and you could get there silly o clock early... Or 9ish

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I'm unlikely to be there much before 1 by the time I drag my sorry arse out of bed and get myself on the road.

44 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I'm not going to be able to get the kids up and sorted in time to get to mk Station but if you did Marylebone to Haddenham (it's a little halt station) that's not even a mile out of my way, and you could get there silly o clock early... Or 9ish

No problem I was just seeing if anyone would happen to be able to pick me up earlier from MKC

but if its not possible/too much of an inconvenience then thats not a problem at all

ill stick with the 1PM plan then :) (at least It means im able to sleep in a bit longer LOL)

So my time with @Six-cylinder'S 306 Cabriolet is coming to an end as I return it this weekend.

I'll have done about 400 miles in it, sadly only about 30 with the roof down due to a month of shocking weather. 

I've still had time to do a bit of tinkering which has included. 

Rewiring stereo to stop it loosing settings.

Replace front speakers

Re stitch rear window into canvas 

Clean and waterproof canvas

Colour and nourish leather seats

Get slow puncture fixed

Replaced no plate fixings

Upgraded high level brake light with high output LED strip

Fault find abs light, found duff abs ring.

Pics here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NnYVMjJLTRUsEjvG9

All in all an enjoyable month, would of kept longer if I hadn't acquired my Dad's SLK.

Heartfelt thanks to @Six-cylinderfor being kind enough to lend it to me..

6 hours ago, chaseracer said:

CollectED from adjacent postcode area this evening!

The 300w one is in my car.  The one you've collected is for the possibility of welding from an inverter and is a 2000w continuous / 4000w peak unit,  much biggerer! And also most appreciated!  Only fun bit is going to be finding 4 batteries to drive it, as it needs 48V input.

29 minutes ago, Talbot said:

The 300w one is in my car.  The one you've collected is for the possibility of welding from an inverter and is a 2000w continuous / 4000w peak unit,  much biggerer! And also most appreciated!  Only fun bit is going to be finding 4 batteries to drive it, as it needs 48V input.

That's easy, just rewire Dave's Lexus Zanussi

32 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Only fun bit is going to be finding 4 batteries to drive it, as it needs 48V input.

if only there was a vehicle at the FoD that used such a configuration of multiple Lead acid batteries in series like that... *clinks a couple milk bottles together*

also 48V eh? why do I have a feeling theres a BT engineer scratching his head at the local telecom exchange as to where the inverter powering the mains side of things has suddenly vanished off too! LOL