Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

On 8/6/2020 at 11:03 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Never heard of the brand, but I see it has jack pin.

It looks useful to me as I am more keen to fit Radio/cass than Radio/CD in appropriate cars.

I want another battery like I had last time and 2 x 20 LTR blue antifreeze please. 

I am keen to offload the Philips unit I have in the boot. Not sure I’ll make the FOD but could make a detour to drop it off on Friday as I come back down the m40?

Just now, Six-cylinder said:

You are welcome when ever you like, I am at home or at the field most of the time.

If I am not too rushed or stressed, I’ll pop it over Friday afternoon. I can leave it in a bag on the doorstep if needed ( don’t call the bomb squad!).

If you come to the FoD open weekend 22/23 Aug what can you do!

Dress making – we have a generator but bring your own sewing machine

Flower arranging – plenty of wild ones at our place

Origami – I am sure we can find you some paper

If these don’t activities don’t appeal how about

Fitting Hayter Condor mower cylinder cut plate

Grease 2CV

Tow start Tiddly truck

Drill out Invacar wheel stud

Fit carb to Invacar

Fit Injection pump fitted to 1 ton dumper

Fit starter to tractor

Make Honda moped run properly

Get Chinese 125cc working

And if all else fails

Then you can always sit around and do nothing!

IMG_20200805_125722 broad.jpg

on a separate note,

im guessing by the silence to my question of "would people be ok with me coming if I my only way to get there was by public transport" means generally people would prefer I dont come down if the only way for me to do so is via public transport?

maybe im just reading too much into nothing and nobody really cares how I get down but I dont know id just like some sort of answer so I know where I stand etc :) 

alternatively if anyone is going through London and is able to pick me up that would be much appreciated, id be happy to split the fuel bill or such like as well

(now I have siad that this is where someone picks me up in a Jag or something such aint it....)

COVID19 stuff aside id also much prefer this as it would be a lot easier on the ol back :) 

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

on a separate note,

im guessing by the silence to my question of "would people be ok with me coming if I my only way to get there was by public transport" means generally people would prefer I dont come down if the only way for me to do so is via public transport?

maybe im just reading too much into nothing and nobody really cares how I get down but I dont know id just like some sort of answer so I know where I stand etc :) 

alternatively if anyone is going through London and is able to pick me up that would be much appreciated, id be happy to split the fuel bill or such like as well

(now I have siad that this is where someone picks me up in a Jag or something such aint it....)

COVID19 stuff aside id also much prefer this as it would be a lot easier on the ol back :) 

To be clear, I think people would like you there, but the lift giving is still a no-go area.  You can’t be 2m away in a car.

54 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

To be clear, I think people would like you there, but the lift giving is still a no-go area.  You can’t be 2m away in a car.

No, but you could both wear a mask.  Given that driving lessons are now permitted again as long as both the instructor and the pupil are wearing a mask, giving a lift to someone is exactly the same risk.  Same is true of a Taxi.  And the passenger could sit in the back too, that would get you close to the 1m+protection recommendation.

Actually, it's a lesser risk, as you're not sharing the vehicle with 6/10/20 different people every day.

Maybe.

7 minutes ago, Talbot said:

No, but you could both wear a mask.  Given that driving lessons are now permitted again as long as both the instructor and the pupil are wearing a mask, giving a lift to someone is exactly the same risk.  Same is true of a Taxi.  And the passenger could sit in the back too, that would get you close to the 1m+protection recommendation.

Actually, it's a lesser risk, as you're not sharing the vehicle with 6/10/20 different people every day.

Maybe.

True, but playing devil’s advocate- where in the legislation are taxis and giving lifts to friends mentioned?

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

on a separate note,

Being pragmatic, it's not a problem to have you come to the FoD weekend if you can do the social distancing on public transport to get to MK. I'm happy to collect you from/deliver you back to the station. If we are both wearing masks and you sit in the back of my car and we have the windows open, we can cover the social distancing bit. You can use hand sanitiser to clean your hands after your train journey and whatever you touch in the back of my car doesn't matter, as I can avoid touching the same surfaces for a few days afterwards. At the FoD we'll all be outside and can maintain social distances, so you being there will be the same as anyone else being there.

For accommodation, as the boat won't be available this time, may I suggest you book yourself a room at one of the Buckingham hotels for the Saturday night? You''ll have a proper bed for the comfort of your back, also free wi-fi!

Premier Inn:
https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/buckinghamshire/buckingham/buckingham.html?INNID=BUKHAM&ARRdd=22&ARRmm=08&ARRyyyy=2020&NIGHTS=1&ROOMS=1&ADULT1=2&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=DB&SID=4&ISH=true&BRAND=PI&CID=GHF_GB_GoogleSearch_desktop_BUKHAM&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyfXxm6CU6wIVLoMnAh2zBgwtEAoYASAAEgLEfvD_BwE

Travelodge:
https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/272/Buckingham-hotel?checkIn=22/08/2020&checkOut=23/08/2020&rooms[0][adults]=1&rooms[0][children]=0

Best Western:
https://www.bestwestern.co.uk/hotels/best-western-buckingham-hotel-83812/in-2020-08-22/out-2020-08-23/adults-1/children-0/rooms-1

Have a think. Maybe you could get a taxi from home to/from Euston, to save taking the bus/tube?

25 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Being pragmatic, it's not a problem to have you come to the FoD weekend if you can do the social distancing on public transport to get to MK. I'm happy to collect you from/deliver you back to the station. If we are both wearing masks and you sit in the back of my car and we have the windows open, we can cover the social distancing bit. You can use hand sanitiser to clean your hands after your train journey and whatever you touch in the back of my car doesn't matter, as I can avoid touching the same surfaces for a few days afterwards. At the FoD we'll all be outside and can maintain social distances, so you being there will be the same as anyone else being there.

ah awesome thats very much appreciated more then happy to comply with those requirements :) yeah im not too bothered by things personally, im just mostly trying do my best to make sure I dont do something everyone else does not like if that makes sense :) 

just trying to go with the flow etc

25 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

For accommodation, as the boat won't be available this time, may I suggest you book yourself a room at one of the Buckingham hotels for the Saturday night? You''ll have a proper bed for the comfort of your back, also free wi-fi!

oh yeah id much prefer that :)  but I never really brought it up much as again I have the problem of getting there and back, if you (or someone else) are happy to ferry me there and back then ill book one :)

(is there a preferred one I go with? they all seem to be around roughly the same price, so happy to go with whichever is the least inconvenience for whoever is taking me to and from it)

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

True, but playing devil’s advocate- where in the legislation are taxis and giving lifts to friends mentioned?

They're not.  The legislation, like any rushed legislation, is woefully inadequate and full of holes/loopholes/errors.  Quite honestly, given the staggering disregard for the current situation that a remarkable number of people are exhibiting, I am taking the practical/pragmatic approach to everything.  Considering risks, looking at what others are doing around me, and generally making sure I neither put myself at excessive risk, nor do I put others at excessive risk.

I'd give someone a lift if they needed one at the moment, if they were wearing a mask. (and I was too)  They've been shown to be remarkably effective, especially (as you do in a car) you're not facing the other person.  Compared to the risk that is currently legal in Pubs/Restaurants of being indoors, possibly in a recirculate-air-conditioned room with no mask on, being in a car with forced fresh airflow, masks on and not facing the other person seems low-risk to me.

40 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

oh yeah id much prefer that :)  but I never really brought it up much as again I have the problem of getting there and back, if you (or someone else) are happy to ferry me there and back then ill book one

If you travel by train, bring a bike with you.  It's 9-and-a-bit miles from MK railway station to the FOD, and under 5 from the FOD to even the other side of Buckingham.  Easy distances.  Especially as it's almost completely flat for both journeys.

9 minutes ago, Talbot said:

If you travel by train, bring a bike with you.  It's 9-and-a-bit miles from MK railway station to the FOD, and under 5 from the FOD to even the other side of Buckingham.  Easy distances.

sadly with my back thats not an option (not to mention I dont own a bike, I do own a vehicle which is controlled by a set of handle bars if thats worth anything :mrgreen: )

shame Im still only on a provisional licence, I did wonder if I could have just rented a car otherwise, as that would solve all my issues but who knows what that costs!

6 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

sadly with my back thats not an option

Which begs the question as to why on earth you'd even consider driving an invacar, which has all the ergonomics of a plank of wood.  If you suffer from back issues, you need a well-designed and ergonomic seat and strong power assistance to prevent needing to twist your spine in any way.  Even sitting in an invacar for any length of time is likely to exacerbate any issues you have.  Add heaving a handlebar back and forth and you'll probably struggle to move again.

10 hours ago, Talbot said:

Which begs the question as to why on earth you'd even consider driving an invacar,

ahh the amount of times I have been asked "why an invacar" on this forum alone, must be some sort of record LOL

why an invacar... because they are something I find highly fascinating and am very enthusiastic about and life has royally crapped all over and taken away pretty much all of my opportunities

im not going to let it take away this one, I also hope to use it to enable me to get mobile once more and regain some semblance of personal mobility 

its my rage, rage against the dying of the light thing if that makes sense?

getting any car for me be it an Invacar or a K11 Micra or what have you, is/would be a massive undertaking for me,

say I went for something like you describe, id still need to spend all the effort hours and money I have put into driving lessons, id still need to make/ensure the thing is road worthy and insured, as well as worry about tax, and MOT (something I dont have to worry about with the Invacar)

so if Im going to have to put in all this effort time and money into it regardless, im going to go the extra mile to make sure its something im truly enthusiastic about something I know ill personally enjoy

something for me thats actually worth putting all that effort into

10 hours ago, Talbot said:

which has all the ergonomics of a plank of wood.  If you suffer from back issues, you need a well-designed and ergonomic seat and strong power assistance to prevent needing to twist your spine in any way.  Even sitting in an invacar for any length of time is likely to exacerbate any issues you have.  Add heaving a handlebar back and forth and you'll probably struggle to move again.

as basic as the seat looks I have actually found it to surprisingly comfortable for me (with others having said the same) and thanks to the handle bars, the lack of foot pedals means my legs are able to find their natural rest position which helps a lot with my back pain (which will flare up/get worse if my legs are forced into one position for a long time, like when driving a normal car) 

so a Model 70 is much more ergonomic for me in that regard then a normal car

it will be interesting to see how I do in REV (my own personal Invacar Model 70) driving around London etc,

but from preliminary testing/experience, driving her around the FoD during past FoD open day weekends etc (Think I have clocked up about 15 miles in REV so far :) )

I dont think its going to be any worse then driving a normal/modern car

16 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

(is there a preferred one I go with? they all seem to be around roughly the same price, so happy to go with whichever is the least inconvenience for whoever is taking me to and from it)

The Premier Inn is the newest; it opened in March or April this year, IIRC, just at the start of lockdown. I'd suggest that one, just because it's nice and new! The Best Western is fine too, but a bit more expensive. The Travelodge is clean and basic but probably won't be as nice as the Premier Inn.

Not a problem to run you there and back. I think there is a Costa Coffee next door to the Premier Inn also for coffee and cakes and our Tesco and Lidl are within walking distance.

I’m actually a potential for this, but nothing more. It’s the first weekend of my holiday and I might shuffle along if I’m free. 

I’m also playing it quite carefully atm but being pragmatic too. It’s all about best practice and being sensible right?! 

I’ll let y’all know nearer the time. Be nice to see some faces again!

4 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

The Premier Inn is the newest; it opened in March or April this year, IIRC, just at the start of lockdown. I'd suggest that one, just because it's nice and new! The Best Western is fine too, but a bit more expensive. The Travelodge is clean and basic but probably won't be as nice as the Premier Inn.

Not a problem to run you there and back. I think there is a Costa Coffee next door to the Premier Inn also for coffee and cakes and our Tesco and Lidl are within walking distance.

ah awesome that is very much appreciated :) was hoping you would say premier in as (just looking at the links you kindly provided me) that one appealed to me the most/seems the easiest to book LOL :)

ill get it booked soon then :) 

very happy and very thankful that something has been worked out so I can finally make it to a gathering once more :) the favours are very much appreciated! 

11 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

very happy and very thankful that something has been worked out so I can finally make it to a gathering once more :) the favours are very much appreciated! 

No worries. You have been very patient locked down in that there London and I'm sure it will be great to be able to pat REV on the nose again.

alrighty Premier Inn has been booked :) was pretty painless, only things I changed from the above link was from 2 adults to 1 adults but I kept the double room tho LOL the price, location etc was the same regardless of what options I picked so figured id go for the hopefully bigger/better bed easier on the ol back but dropped it to 1 adult as I felt better not overbooking so to speak,  even tho that probably does not make any difference, and went for the semi flex booking option figured the extra couple quid was worth the insurance of knowing I can change things if need be, but hopefully I wont need to!

and I also slapped on their breakfast offer, because I have a feeling im going to need it after a day of FoD antics! :) (and im pretty sure a muffin from costa coffee would cost just as much, or maybe im just used to London pricing LOL)

Premier Inn have nicer beds and better soundproofing than Travelodges in my experience.  That said I got a decent enough night's kip at the MK TL last time - I was awakened in the morning by a gentleman out in the corridor asking another person loudly, insistently and partly in Anglo-Saxon where his money was, but this was at 8.45am so fairly civilised really.