Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I have managed to pull its Chassis and engine numbers from the DVLA I can PM those to @Mrs6C or you if you want them? :) 

seeing as the Last keeper change and V5 was issued in 2011 I assume you cant just pull out the V5 and check if you got it in 2014? (unless you do have that 2011 V5 still waiting to have the keeper change done!)

Those should help, I can't imagine that pump is bespoke to that dumper, all manner of shite over a 30/40 year span probably used it. 

Or you'll work out what it is, sit down with a mug of coffee and those biscuits @Mrs6C doesn't know about, type the engine and issue into Google and cry as you see 35 pages of people having the same issues with no known fix... 

On 7/14/2020 at 5:17 PM, Slowsilver said:

Alternatively I could offer a straight swap for an empty and crushed Pepsi can with provenance, retrieved by the (in)famous Mr. HubNut and kindly* left in one of the many cubbyholes in the Zafira.

put it in a ziploc bag- you never know when you might need some DNA ??

I pressed the Renault 11 into daily service last night starting with social distancing beer with non-car people in the FoD.

Today I did my errands with it and it behaved perfectly. I filled it with petrol so we will see what the mpg is.

I find it having electric windows out of character and keep looking for window winding handles. Then I keep switching it off before I put up the windows.

I have decided I really like the rear glass hatch shape.

IMG_20200716_202551 broad.jpg

IMG_20200716_192144 broad.jpg

IMG_20200716_192238 broad.jpg

IMG_20200717_120347 broad.jpg

IMG_20200716_192326 broad.jpg

Did anyone re fit some clips to the fuel filter after testing? 

The fuel filter that was fitted,  the pipes were pushed on (bloody tight admittedly) and the clips left loose on the hose for testing it out. 

Worth popping some jubilee clips on as id doubt the self locking ones will fit around as the filter was fairly large or swap it out for a plastic filter. 

Don't want any unexpected heating should the lines pop off. 

31 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Did anyone re fit some clips to the fuel filter after testing? 

The fuel filter that was fitted,  the pipes were pushed on (bloody tight admittedly) and the clips left loose on the hose for testing it out. 

Worth popping some jubilee clips on as id doubt the self locking ones will fit around as the filter was fairly large or swap it out for a plastic filter. 

Don't want any unexpected heating should the lines pop off. 

I recall somebody saying they managed to clip the filter back in so I have been out and photographed it, as it is now at home on the drive. The answer is cable ties!

IMG_20200717_194620 broad.jpg

Yes, it was me wot dun it. I remembered it was just fitted temporarily to see if it cured the fault and didn't want it to self-combust. So I checked it on Sunday and, as you rightly assumed, the original clips would not fit over the bigger pipes. I didn't have any suitable clips with me so the universal go-to option of cable ties was deployed. As you say, the pipes were a pretty tight fit anyway and the cable ties pulled up pretty tightly on them, so it will probably be OK as a permanent solution, although they could be replaced with suitably-sized metal clips to be on the safe side.

On 7/15/2020 at 3:28 AM, Ghosty said:

@dozeydustman also has a friend in Hyde that he says needs to be on here on account of his fleet. 

Yes that would be my niece’s husband. He owns a Ovlov estate, Puma 1.7 with the hot engine and rust, and currently having his 1990s mini restored, though he is doing some of the more mechanical stuff himself.

I believe he lurks on here but hasn’t yet signed up.

9 hours ago, 320touring said:

Screenshot_20200719_234617_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.eca278f6eaff7f18ee0267451f9cfacb.jpg

Ahem

Teal parked up with a Caraboat in Glasgow.

We looked at a Caracruiser, but I was not keen because I could not stand up in it. Then the seller showed us around his new boat a Wilderness Beaver, I was much more comfortable in that so we looked for one for sale and bought Teal the 23 ft Beaver. The Beaver needs a 4x4 to pull 2 tons up a wet slippery boat ramp, but as I was already running a 4.6 P38 Range Rover there was no problem having the larger boat.

P1110926 crop broad.jpg

P1110832 broad.jpg

Teal leaving canal broad.jpg

On 7/14/2020 at 11:52 PM, Zelandeth said:

There we go...Found some photos of my old Renault 11TC.

DSCI0029.thumb.JPG.c0b1b2944be25560c7d65097bcd975bc.JPG

DSCI0054.thumb.JPG.3043661db6c36cf5f67beb922e78d5fc.JPG

Image30.thumb.jpg.a3a5bf1de8606d63ce28e52294c2f185.jpg

Image31.thumb.jpg.20060a609e9b77f225ee26209e3af8e0.jpg

Still can't quite believe she was only a 1.2.  Went incredibly well for it and even in this base-tastic form (guessing the rear wiper was a paid for extra given wheel trims weren't even included originally!) was a really comfy way to cover distances.  I did a couple of runs to Inverness in this (about 3 hours) and never felt that journey drag like it did in some other cars.

Compared to things I've seen on some other 11s, here are my one's base credentials.

[] Manual mirrors.

[] No padding on the door cards.

[] No temperature gauge.

[] No oil level gauge.

[] No clock.

[] No fuel warning light (no bulb or wiring!)

[] No central locking.

[] No power steering.

[] No power windows.

[] No split rear seat.

[] No trip meter.

[] No locking fuel cap.

[] Simplified side rubbing strips.

[] No centre heater vents.

[] No headlight on warning buzzer.

[] 155SR13 tyres.

[] Single speed wipers with no intermittent mode.

[] No dash lighting dimmer.

I did at least add a clock and the centre heater vents after a while when I found a higher trim level one in a scrapper which I pulled the little (and surprisingly useful) cubby by the heater controls out of.

The only gripe I had with this motor was that it wasn't quite a phase 1 nor a phase 2.  It was the one made during the swap to the facelifted model and as such was made using whatever parts Renault found rolling around on the factory floor.  As such finding parts for it was an absolute nightmare, even in 2004.  Remember spending nearly three weeks trying to track down a CV boot.

Still was a lovely little thing to drive though and I'd gladly have it as a daily runaround again nowadays if it were still on the road (it's not...Managed another three or four years after I sold it, but long gone now).

@Zelandeth a chance to relive your 11 experience!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-Renault-11-1-2-TC-3-door/233652752158?hash=item3666ca0f1e:g:JD8AAOSwtq1fEcaG

D650 BFL 01.jpg

19 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Just like August 1986 all over again, well not quite I had a brand new company Renault engined Volvo 340 GL Special, but it had the 1.7 OHC engine rather that this 1.4 pushrod of the 11.

IMG_20200720_192452 broad.jpg

344 GL Sp D845 MMJ rear.jpg

Boxy, but good* ( Dudley Moore wasn’t it?)

Since the beginning of June I have bought 29 things from Ebay, mainly car stuff. Out of those there were 4 fails. 4/29 fail = 86.2% success. Seems a bit low to me.

2 x no shows

1 x packaging damaged and part missing

1 x Told to use a discount code then it would not work at checkout. I contacted firm they said they would sort it but never have so I have not completed the payment. 

On 7/21/2020 at 6:46 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Since the beginning of June I have bought 29 things from Ebay, mainly car stuff. Out of those there were 4 fails. 4/29 fail = 86.2% success. Seems a bit low to me.

2 x no shows

1 x packaging damaged and part missing

1 x Told to use a discount code then it would not work at checkout. I contacted firm they said they would sort it but never have so I have not completed the payment. 

Not replacement rear brake callipers for the Gamma any of these? :D

In all honesty if you need the calliper whipping off for reconditioning and then it fitting after let me know I'll happily pop up on a Saturday or Sunday and do this for you. I promise I'll bring my stash of veg seeds for mrs cylinders to pick over! Scouts honour sir!

11 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Not replacement rear brake callipers for the Gamma any of these? :D

In all honesty if you need the calliper whipping off for reconditioning and then it fitting after let me know I'll happily pop up on a Saturday or Sunday and do this for you. I promise I'll bring my stash of veg seeds for mrs cylinders to pick over! Scouts honour sir!

Unfortunately I can't find a Gamma caliper ready to fit.

I have been speaking to the Gamma Club, they may have a caliper suitable to recondition and I am just waiting for conformation. If the club has a caliper I will get it reconditioned and then will be pleased to accept your offer to fit. If the club has not got one, when they come up 1st Aug to strip the spares car I may be lucky there or I will ask them to take the offending caliper off my white car and I will get that one reconditioned.  Thanks very much for the offer.

8664CC0D-DE21-45B7-9D86-4FB63BF9BD01.jpeg.0345d7160221cec232b341a2a2669c51 broad.jpeg