Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

16 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

To be honest they were probably there before it fell off. I was simply trying to reduce the price from 1.00 to 0.00 ?.

Is he actually trying to sell you back your own wheeltrim? Once a second hand car dealer, always a ......

There we go...Found some photos of my old Renault 11TC.

DSCI0029.thumb.JPG.c0b1b2944be25560c7d65097bcd975bc.JPG

DSCI0054.thumb.JPG.3043661db6c36cf5f67beb922e78d5fc.JPG

Image30.thumb.jpg.a3a5bf1de8606d63ce28e52294c2f185.jpg

Image31.thumb.jpg.20060a609e9b77f225ee26209e3af8e0.jpg

Still can't quite believe she was only a 1.2.  Went incredibly well for it and even in this base-tastic form (guessing the rear wiper was a paid for extra given wheel trims weren't even included originally!) was a really comfy way to cover distances.  I did a couple of runs to Inverness in this (about 3 hours) and never felt that journey drag like it did in some other cars.

Compared to things I've seen on some other 11s, here are my one's base credentials.

[] Manual mirrors.

[] No padding on the door cards.

[] No temperature gauge.

[] No oil level gauge.

[] No clock.

[] No fuel warning light (no bulb or wiring!)

[] No central locking.

[] No power steering.

[] No power windows.

[] No split rear seat.

[] No trip meter.

[] No locking fuel cap.

[] Simplified side rubbing strips.

[] No centre heater vents.

[] No headlight on warning buzzer.

[] 155SR13 tyres.

[] Single speed wipers with no intermittent mode.

[] No dash lighting dimmer.

I did at least add a clock and the centre heater vents after a while when I found a higher trim level one in a scrapper which I pulled the little (and surprisingly useful) cubby by the heater controls out of.

The only gripe I had with this motor was that it wasn't quite a phase 1 nor a phase 2.  It was the one made during the swap to the facelifted model and as such was made using whatever parts Renault found rolling around on the factory floor.  As such finding parts for it was an absolute nightmare, even in 2004.  Remember spending nearly three weeks trying to track down a CV boot.

Still was a lovely little thing to drive though and I'd gladly have it as a daily runaround again nowadays if it were still on the road (it's not...Managed another three or four years after I sold it, but long gone now).

Hyde, the next town over from me, and a place I frequent, came up twice over the weekend. 

DW's GSA's rear plate is from a Citroen dealer in Hyde (the phone line is dead, but I wonder if that's now the still-extant Stoneacre Citroen/Fiat?). Not the original dealer though as the car is Lincs registered, as quicksilver correctly asserted. 

@dozeydustman also has a friend in Hyde that he says needs to be on here on account of his fleet. 

Strange to say the least for home to crop up twice when I'm 150 miles away. 

Today an agricultural engineer came to see if he could start our 1 ton Benford Dumper, the answer was no.

The injection pump was seized and he took it off and tried to free it without success. He took it away for a workshop strip and the second photo arrived this evening! 

IMG_20200715_161207 broad.jpg

Injection Pump dismantaled broad.jpg

1 minute ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today an agricultural engineer came to see if he could start our 1 ton Benford Dumper, the answer was no.

The injection pump was seized and he took it off and tried to free it without success. He took it away for a workshop strip and the second photo arrived this evening! 

IMG_20200715_161207 broad.jpg

Injection Pump dismantaled broad.jpg

Broken spring?

Just now, richardmorris said:

Any idea on the age? Or mileage?

I would have thought  something like this would have an hours meter rather than an odometer? 

of course the solution surely is to buy a 3rd dumper for the FoD right? :mrgreen:

love the tax disk nailed to the side, Land end to lands end to john o groats anyone?  LOL

That would definitely tie in with the symptoms we were seeing.  I could tell the pump didn't sound right when it was being cranked, and there's definitely been some leakage somewhere...

Do Petter engines have easily decodable serial numbers?  If the engine can be dated that should give a decent idea of the rough date.  I'd have probably said mid 70s myself.

2 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

That would definitely tie in with the symptoms we were seeing.  I could tell the pump didn't sound right when it was being cranked, and there's definitely been some leakage somewhere...

Do Petter engines have easily decodable serial numbers?  If the engine can be dated that should give a decent idea of the rough date.  I'd have probably said mid 70s myself.

We can't find any engine or dumper numbers on it.

24 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

We can't find any engine or dumper numbers on it.

I have managed to pull its Chassis and engine numbers from the DVLA I can PM those to @Mrs6C or you if you want them? :) 

I was thinking cant you just check the V5? but seeing as the Last keeper change and V5 was issued in 2011 and you got it in 2014 then im guessing you never got the V5 etc so that would be a no you cant LOL (unless you do have that 2011 V5 still waiting to have the keeper change done? :) )