Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

14 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Amazing! Like how you said "working Citroen's" !!! How many more are there?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Those that did not make it:

Xantia V6 - bust gearbox

Oltcit - under bonnet fire damage

Visa GT - needs full restoration

Visa 17RD E reg - just ran out of time to get it MOTed, but put away fully working

LNA - vague steering, thought to be steering coupling rack to column

CX 2400 I/E Pallas - under bonnet fire damage under repair + bust pipe

13 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I wonder what people's reactions where when they realised all those cars were owned by the same couple :)  (or did you keep that bit to yourself? :) )

We did not broadcast or hide they were all ours. 

5 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Xantia V6 - bust gearbox

Visa 17RD E reg - just ran out of time to get it MOTed, but put away fully working

We did not broadcast or hide they were all ours. 

Don’t you have a gold cx too? Or has that left?

15 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Xantia V6 - bust gearbox

Ahem, we have a Berlingo as well...

Yes 23 C Forecast Saturday!

Never been before to Field of Dreams, if you come what do you have to do? the answer is nothing, sit around drink tea and watch other is just fine.

If you would get bored doing nothing then you can clean/fix what you have brought with you.

What else is going on:

Looks like we can get the big toys out, we will tow start our two dumpers and as the  3 ton one has a broken decompression lever the only way is to tow start it with the 7½ ton JCB digger.

Our farm trailer is in an awkward spot and needs moving so the tractor will have to be started.

Cut grass with ride on mower

Fix Jingling idle problem

Fix cylinder bearing on Hayter ride on cylinder mower

Polythene cover up stuff

Citroen CX replacement throttle cable, refit coil and check why the hydraulics leak.

We have 10 acre to play in but no racing.

Car Camping, tents, caravans and expensive motor homes all welcome.

Children and pets welcome

Just remember we have no insurance however you hurt yourselves so safety first.

Never been before, PM me for address and map.

Hope we get the weather that's forecast. 

If a pipe has split on the cx suspension. I was thinking it may be worth me getting some 4mm fuel hose into through work and bringing some along as a quick fix to get it moving?

Does any green blooded Citroens fondlers know if it's the metal pipes that fail or rubber flexi parts that fail more often?

57 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Yes 23 C Forecast Saturday!

Never been before to Field of Dreams, if you come what do you have to do? the answer is nothing, sit around drink tea and watch other is just fine.

If you would get bored doing nothing then you can clean/fix what you have brought with you.

What else is going on:

Looks like we can get the big toys out, we will tow start our two dumpers and as the  3 ton one has a broken decompression lever the only way is to tow start it with the 7½ ton JCB digger.

Our farm trailer is in an awkward spot and needs moving so the tractor will have to be started.

Cut grass with ride on mower

Fix Jingling idle problem

Fix cylinder bearing on Hayter ride on cylinder mower

Polythene cover up stuff

Citroen CX replacement throttle cable, refit coil and check why the hydraulics leak.

We have 10 acre to play in but no racing.

Car Camping, tents, caravans and expensive motor homes all welcome.

Children and pets welcome

Just remember we have no insurance however you hurt yourselves so safety first.

Never been before, PM me for address and map.

sounds like lots of fun :) 

esp given the nice weather etc, im really hoping i can arrange something so I can make it down, but im still not sure if i can make it eyt sadly (and also if Dollywobbler will be there, id like him to get a chance to drive REV and see what his thoughts are on her :) )

it would also be nice to patch the hole in REV's fuel tank (using that stuff @Mrs6C mentioned last gathering IIRC?) and replace the fuel lines finally (assuming the fuel hose has not been robbed for other members of the fleet :mrgreen: ), it would be nice to make some good progress to getting her road legal

and also get Dolly to idle and moving :) 

1 hour ago, Andyrew said:

If a pipe has split on the cx suspension. I was thinking it may be worth me getting some 4mm fuel hose into through work and bringing some along as a quick fix to get it moving?

Does any green blooded Citroens fondlers know if it's the metal pipes that fail or rubber flexi parts that fail more often?

Will rubber hoses withstand Citroen suspension pressure?  I thought they just used rubber for the returns.

8 hours ago, Andyrew said:

The pipe is 3.5mm and there are Citroen specific flare tools.

I believe they have coils of metal pipe to feed the rear sub-frame and take up the movement. It could also be a component fail and it would be good to know what as broken. 

Once again playing cars has taken priory over work!

Our VP1500 has had issues starting and then the indicators failed.

Our local auto sparks does not do home visits anymore, but last week he did visit and pronounced the problem was the neg battery lead was not tightening where it met the body. The captive nut was seized and he left me to to sort that out, I tried brute force and broke the weld on the captive nut and snapped the bolt so putting in a replacement nut and bolt was then easy. Now the starter would not turn at all, rather than only when it felt like it. I called the auto sparks back and he found I had dislodged the earth for the starter switch inhibitor relay. A 1976 manual Allegro would not normally have an inhibitor switch but this one started life as an automatic and did.

This morning he made me take it to him for the indicators and the strange ignition light and oil pressure light display that only sometimes worked. 3 problem, the flasher unit had failed, the plug on the back of the alternator was broken and one connector only make contact when it felt like it. He fixed all that for me, but did not have an oil pressure switch which has also intermittently failed. 

I feel much happier that the VP is now working so it can go to the BL day at Milton Keynes museum 29th Sep.

IMG_20190917_110531 broad.jpg

17 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Will rubber hoses withstand Citroen suspension pressure?  I thought they just used rubber for the returns.

Some fuel hose is rated to 300psi. The 20p jubilee on the end however not so much.

I was just thinking if a metal pipe has rotted out if some could be used to Sleeve over the damaged area to get the car off it's arse.  Certainly not a permanent fix. I looked at work today and couldn't find any suitable hose. 

Will have a look on Sunday. 

Again more tinkering in work time.

My Vitesse ran very poorly so I arranged my favourite garage to take a look at it for me, trouble is it stopped running all together! I diagnosed the fuel pump and ordered one which sat on my desk like an ornament! All of a sudden it is urgent as my favourite garage want me to take Sovereign S2 that has had a new starter motor and that gives me an opportunity to drop off the Vitesse but only if it runs. Not to bad a job on a Vitesse but I had to move 3 cars to get it out. So now I have fixed it enough to run badly.

IMG_20190918_180727 broad.jpg

OK, not staying over Saturday night now - I've promised to spend Sunday helping my mate Laurence with the resurrection of his 2CV racer.  I was closely involved in the original build of this car in 2002, so I've literally got blood/sweat/tears in this thing! 

We're aiming to run it in next year's 24-hour race at Snetterton.

image.png

43 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

OK, not staying over Saturday night now - I've promised to spend Sunday helping my mate Laurence with the resurrection of his 2CV racer.  I was closely involved in the original build of this car in 2002, so I've literally got blood/sweat/tears in this thing! 

We're aiming to run it in next year's 24-hour race at Snetterton.

36 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Looks like it should be a good weekend.  I'm buggering off to Scotland this weekend to try and forget that I'm turning 40 on Sunday, otherwise I'd have been tempted to trundle down.

Well you are not getting refunds!

Time to think about Milton Keynes Museum BL day 29th September 2019

As it stands I have 5 cars we can take:

1984 MG Metro

1976 Vanden Plas 1500

1972 MGB GT

1973 Daimler Sovereign S1

1976 Daimler Sovereign S2

Possibly if it fixed in time

1970 Triumph Vitesse convertible

The question is who can help? I am planning to leave the house at 9.40am.

IMG_20190919_174219 broad.jpg