Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

47 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Nothing looks right, but it is hard to tell without a specification list.

I have already bought an assortment and nothing is any good for this job.

IMG_20190902_175622 broad.jpg

None of yours have an extended hook. Some of those in my link appear to have a hook extension similar to your original.

Half the problem is that spring rates are all different and have differing characteristics.

1 minute ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

None of yours have an extended hook. Some of those in my link appear to have a hook extension similar to your original.

Half the problem is that spring rates are all different and have differing characteristics.

What the picture does not show is the true size and the fact it will need lots of coils to get the stretch. 

I have photoed mine again with the original spring to give proportion.

IMG_20190902_185613 broad.jpg

1 minute ago, Six-cylinder said:

What the picture does not show is the true size and the fact it will need lots of coils to get the stretch. 

I have photoed mine again with the original spring to give proportion.

IMG_20190902_185613 broad.jpg

All my link sez is "various lengths and widths", which is as big a get-out clause as any. Not sure there'll be one fitting the description at the Swapmeet, but you never know.....

In that case, the question you have to ask yourself is: "Do I feel lucky?......

2 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

All my link sez is "various lengths and widths", which is as big a get-out clause as any. Not sure there'll be one fitting the description at the Swapmeet, but you never know.....

In that case, the question you have to ask yourself is: "Do I feel lucky?......

NO, I bought 25 Raffle tickets at the Midlands Citroen Rally yesterday and did not win anything!

1 minute ago, Six-cylinder said:

NO, I bought 25 Raffle tickets at the Midlands Citroen Rally yesterday and did not win anything!

You could have saved yourself the bother by just buying the one....!

That S1 grille of yours: I had a minor heart attack when I realised that CX-Basis are charging 142 Euros for a used one.

Next problem

The XM has sat as a mobile store for several weeks and I was delighted when it started on its own battery this afternoon and drove it onto our drive. I cleared it out and noticed the sunroof was a little bit open so I went to close it, trouble is it would open further but not close.

I have an auto electrician visiting tomorrow because the indicators on the VP1500 packed up Saturday evening and I had a fiddle with fuses and a couple of relays this afternoon and now the starter won't even operate. I thought I would burden him with the problem but Mrs6C reminded me usually electric sunroofs have a manual closing key. Sure enough the wind back handle was missing (another warrantee claim against the Autoshite seller) but a 4 mm allen key did the job.

IMG_20190902_182349 4mm allen key broad.jpg

40 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

You could have saved yourself the bother by just buying the one....!

That S1 grille of yours: I had a minor heart attack when I realised that CX-Basis are charging 142 Euros for a used one.

They do have one though. And I expect there must be some method to their business plan.

I stopped running cxs as daily cars when service parts started getting scarce and never had to patronise cxbasis.

11 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Wot no sunroof? Presumably the climate control works perfectly? 

Lucky it is nearly winter!

No A/C, no Climate and a bulb out in the heater controls! When I first got the car it was Feb and being rather cool I turned up the heater one evening, but was still cold and went to max, I could feel the heat but the cabin was not warming sufficiently. When I first drove the car I don't remember this being a problem and in the morning wondered what was wrong, pilot error! There is a left and a right heat control I was only using one! 

Driving it today reminded me of a couple more problem:

• Gear selection indicator numbers don't work so you just have to learn where they are.
  • Digital clock and outside air temp has gone Green Hill!
  • Drivers door check strap does not keep the door open

IMG_20190903_071323 broad.jpg

2 hours ago, dean36014 said:

Chris, that sunroof switch was always a little dicky, spraying electric cleaner in it usually sorted it out for a few months. Warranty has well expired I'm afraid ?? I might have a check strap for it, will have to go in the room of doom and have a look.

That is an even worse warranty than when they were new! When I sold Citroen's I remember our service manager arguing with the Citroen warranty manager about claims and I was told Citroen had a warranty budget so it was used up hard luck!

It looks like I need as many bits for the XM as the CX!

15 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

......Digital clock and outside air temp has gone Green Hill!

IMG_20190903_071323 broad.jpg

The LCD probably still works alright, but this looks like a sign that the polarising filter film that is placed over the display to achieve the green-on-black effect has failed. CX S2s have the same problem. Not an easy repair, but can be done.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:40 AM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

36upvp.thumb.jpg.e431f83270eab3b8677a5040aec04d0d.jpg

I know that several years back that they found and bought a huge stock of parts. I can’t recall where. But it was several shipping containers worth of parts. 

I did buy stuff for my Pallas from Citroen ( brand new bootlid £245) , but by the time I had the DTR nothing was available.contrast that to Mercedes where everything is available for my w124 which was 25 last month.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:55 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Winter is coming, so I took the opportunity of going out topless this evening!

IMG_20190829_213032 broad.jpg

That looks really rather... lush! Oh an anytime it's not raining is the correct time to have the roof off - you've got a heater and a wooly 'at ain'tcha?  :)  

6 minutes ago, xtriple said:

That looks really rather... lush! Oh an anytime it's not raining is the correct time to have the roof off - you've got a heater and a wooly 'at ain'tcha?  :)  

Its gets put away for its own protection during the salty season!

In truth it has a few rust bubbles and I had to have some welding done for the MOT before last. I have had it 7 years and want to keep it going as long as possible as it is good to drive.

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Great.

How can you fit it if you are posting it, I thought the warranty was parts and labour!

Mmmm now whats the saying that's in my head....cheeky bugger??

I think its a door panel off job, not to hard to do Chris, I was more impressed I managed to find it!

Strictly speaking - Jaguar was purchased by BMC in 1966 - this merger created the short lived corporate entity that was British Motor Holdings, so dependant on when it was made, the E type may be eligible.  EDIT - the above happened on 14th Dec 1966 so it’s unlikely.

I would love the chance to take a Sovereign or MGB to the Milton Keynes show and co-incidentally am available that weekend!

6 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Strictly speaking - Jaguar was purchased by BMC in 1966 - this merger created the short lived corporate entity that was British Motor Holdings, so dependant on when it was made, the E type may be eligible.  EDIT - the above happened on 14th Dec 1966 so it’s unlikely.

I would love the chance to take a Sovereign or MGB to the Milton Keynes show and co-incidentally am available that weekend!

I will revisit this in a week or so to firm up who is driving what. There will always be passenger rides for those who want.

E Type is March 1966.

I will also make fixing the Vitesse a priority so that may be an extra car.

Saying that the VP1500 is currently a non starter as turning the key does not operate the starter.

I also have the 1985 Range Rover, but I will be surprised if that will be ready in time. A friend has pushed me to get it back on the road by offering to help so we need to collect it from the garage that have been trying to fix it for several years and the first stage is to assess what it needs. Trouble is my friend works full time, has a wife, two kids, a dog and a fleet of sometimes broken cars so the process may take a while. 

36 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Wuvvum there are doors here pm me you phone number.

heres a side tip that hopefully helps :)  if you want to get ahold of someone on the forum and bring their attention to a specific post etc (ie it sends them a notification saying "so and so mentioned you in such and such post")

if you type the @ symbol them immediately start typing their username @wuvvum it will give you a drop down menu with their name and you can click on it/hit enter and it will put their name in in the form of a tag :)