Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

8 minutes ago, hairnet said:

theres only coupla years between this and the merc

what price difference teutonic efficiency?

mmmm barge (both)

1993 K the Carlton Club was a run out model at £15,500 and the 200TE was £25,516.

You had to bring it up, in 1993 my company car was a Carlton Club estate not a 200TE!

On 5/25/2021 at 9:44 AM, beko1987 said:

Mmm I could chuck some car washing stuff in the car and set the children off washing things... Might keep them from running around too much 

How much financial recompense would be required for a citroen berlingo van? 

In other news,is anyone on Saturday any good at applying vinyl? 

All Vauxhalls Are'nt Shite

L410 SHC

A scruffy , well used, maybe not pampered , but a loved car. one thing a Carlton does well is trigger memories for people.  When i had mine, people would speak to me about it and id always be told of how someones boss, grandad, mate, dad, etc etc had one and how they had piled in it to go to clacton or somewhere way back when .

This carlton for me, and i also learned mr @sutty2006 aswell holds memories of a friend, a fellow shite car lover and true vauxhall nut called Ian.  Know for many a vauxhall related shenanigan.

Screenshot_20210526-202817.jpg.4c2ba84cc3cc87699f8ddf57b3933ce5.jpg

Over the the years ian always mentioned he wanted to get the car painted. Sadly that day never came so when i got the car in i decided to do what i could to bring a little sparkle back to the old girl with the bonus that it may bring back some memories of the mid 90s for Mr and Mrs 6cylinder.  I sadly cant offer a full respray but i can weild a rattle can or 10 (dont paint in a dark workshop at night btw) , fit Some new indicators and some bending of bumper brackets.

20210526_114729.thumb.jpg.4d0ff399c3668545ae80c3e8c6484c8f.jpg

I freely admit, after sticking the slightly battered bonnet badge that had been kept in the car for probably donkeys years back upfront in its rightful place, i stood back and had a little cry, sad and happy tears. its always the little things that get you. 

Always appreciate the little things in life.

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

The Pre delivery inspection was carried out by Carringdale Motors LTD, Bury Gate, Pulborough, Sussex.

Interesting, HC (and also JK) is Eastbourne reg, East Sussex. Pulborough is West. Maybe they got it through Woodhams, not sure how to verify.

4 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

...one thing a Carlton does well is trigger memories for people...

True.

I wish the idiot welder hadn't fried the electrics on the Owd Giffer's 2.6CDX manuel all those years ago - it was a fine car, and a bit of a weapon when the loud pedal was applied.

I’m welling up. 😢 Ian was a great bloke. My favourite memory was going to a Dutch mantas show in 2014 in mine and his mantas. I went prepared with Satnav, Ian took an old AA road map of europe. He navigated (on this own) round the Antwerp bypass better than me with a co-pilot and navman at the helm. Top bloke. And a top Carlton. 👍

44 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

L410 SHC

A scruffy , well used, maybe not pampered , but a loved car. one thing a Carlton does well is trigger memories for people.  When i had mine, people would speak to me about it and id always be told of how someones boss, grandad, mate, dad, etc etc had one and how they had piled in it to go to clacton or somewhere way back when .

This carlton for me, and i also learned mr @sutty2006 aswell holds memories of a friend, a fellow shite car lover and true vauxhall nut called Ian.  Know for many a vauxhall related shenanigan.

Screenshot_20210526-202817.jpg.4c2ba84cc3cc87699f8ddf57b3933ce5.jpg

Over the the years ian always mentioned he wanted to get the car painted. Sadly that day never came so when i got the car in i decided to do what i could to bring a little sparkle back to the old girl with the bonus that it may bring back some memories of the mid 90s for Mr and Mrs 6cylinder.  I sadly cant offer a full respray but i can weild a rattle can or 10 (dont paint in a dark workshop at night btw) , fit Some new indicators and some bending of bumper brackets.

20210526_114729.thumb.jpg.4d0ff399c3668545ae80c3e8c6484c8f.jpg

I freely admit, after sticking the slightly battered bonnet badge that had been kept in the car for probably donkeys years back upfront in its rightful place, i stood back and had a little cry, sad and happy tears. its always the little things that get you. 

Always appreciate the little things in life.

That's quite the transformation. Amazing.  Kudos to all that have worked on this down-at-heel old barge. In any other scenario, it's number would likely have been up. I love the fact that on here that isn't the case and it lives to fight another day. The old girl just needs a pre-2001 font front plate now 😉

Screenshot_20210526-222131_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210526-222222_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, bub2006 said:

How much financial recompense would be required for a citroen berlingo van? 

In other news,is anyone on Saturday any good at applying vinyl? 

I'm sure they'd be easily bribed! I've put a couple of washmitts and an bucket in the car, can't see why they wouldn't want to do it! I've just got to keep the car washing section seperate to the car working section as I don't want to be laying in muddy water halfway through... 

When I first received the message about the Carlton that needed saving my interest was piqued because I had a brand new Carlton 2.0i Club in Satin red 6th May 1993 as a company car. For a modest sum it would be delivered to my door non running and no paperwork.

By the time it arrived with me Ianbmw got it running so he could load it on a trailer more easily. We added water to the radiator and drove it around the FoD and soon the water was in the oil sump! I thought that was the end of it and I needed to compose a spares or repair ad for Vauxhall lickers. Then some fool harder souls wanted to lift the head just in case it was a quick head gasket job, it needed a skim and when I took it in some of the waterway edges were thin and I had to have it welded. Talbot put the head back on and it drove around the FoD quite happily. We had noticed that there were a few rust holes that were going to need welding up for MOT and we tried at the FoD but my generator would not power a welder. Once again Ianbmw was called on to transport the car to Andyrew’s place as he would tackle the welding.

I was taken aback yesterday when I arrived at Andyrew’s place to drive the Carlton to my favourite garage for MOT, it simply looked stunning!

The next good news is it that it drove the 20 miles without issue. I followed in the XM with a tow rope so we could tow it out of the way from a blocked roundabout or where ever it expired, none of that was needed. We have been rewarded with an MOT Pass, I am waiting to hear what my garage had to do to it but my guess is not much.

So what happens now, I want to keep for a while and drive it around, then I do have the problem of an overcrowded garage so we will see how long.

I never realised how much love this car would receive and how it was a reminder of lost fellow car enthusiast.  

Thanks to all who helped with the project and in particular

@ianbmw who pushed it my way and transported it twice

@Talbot who put the engine back together

@Andyrew who did the MOT welding and transformed the car way beyond the call of duty

Carlton 01 broad.jpg

Carlton 02 broad.jpg

IMG_20210526_120441 broad.jpg

IMG_20210526_120358 broad.jpg

That looks amazing! May I ask how the shiny-ness was restored to the lacquer-peely bits? My c180 is similarly afflicted and I'd love to know if it can be helped without needing to have a full strip down and respray! 

3 minutes ago, Stanky said:

That looks amazing! May I ask how the shiny-ness was restored to the lacquer-peely bits? My c180 is similarly afflicted and I'd love to know if it can be helped without needing to have a full strip down and respray! 

Me too!

Mines worse than yours though i imagine 😂

Following a request from @Stanky to get the  AX to FoD so he could show me up as to how good it could look if only I had........

The drive from storage reminded me that it had a horrible vibration over 50 mph since I had new tyres put on it last Autumn. The wheels have no centre holes but the garage who fitted them said they had the adapter to balance them so I was worried I had a suspension problem. Now my usual tyre man has reopened after having to self isolate for over a month last year just when I wanted the tyres. The good news is I have had the wheels rebalanced today and the car drives lovely now. He said one wheel was so bad it was better with no weights than those that had fitted.

IMG_20210527_100652 broad.jpg

10 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

The wheels have no centre holes but the garage who fitted them said they had the adapter to balance them so I was worried I had a suspension problem.

Not all centerless wheel adaptors are created equal.  Some are worthless.

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

have been rewarded with an MOT Pass

WOOT

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

So what happens now, I want to keep for a while and drive it around, then I do have the problem of lots of stashes with tat in  so we will see how long.

You'll find somewhere :D

way beyond the call of duty

That  sometimes its not about why .

On 5/25/2021 at 8:32 AM, Six-cylinder said:

There is no obligation to do anything visiting us, but to keep you from going into town and vandalising bus shelters there are a few projects available to keep you busy.

Toledo –paint anti rust primer on open rust wound – inspect and write parts required list

Trevi – last year Zel put rust killer on the worst rust spots but they now need filler/paint on them.

Invacar – inspect the brakes

Condor mower - needs starting and adjusting to run well

VW Beetle – Glue glass rear window into hood

Astravan – replace front spring

Citroen AX – clean and polish

Peugeot 306 Cab – replace cv joint

Mazda MX5 -  collect on trailer - fit new exhaust

Westwood mower – check oil and cut the grass

Get the 3 mopeds running

Will there be any smoll-train-related activity going on?