Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

Not camping?  Camping = not having to drive = ability to drink beer = ridiculous campfire chats until well gone midnight = Win.

Staying in a Hotel = having to leave at a sensible hour while stone-cold sober.  Granted it does also mean cooked breakfast, but if there's enough people in the FoD, that could be arranged.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Not camping?  Camping = not having to drive = ability to drink beer = ridiculous campfire chats until well gone midnight = Win.

Staying in a Hotel = having to leave at a sensible hour while stone-cold sober.  Granted it does also mean cooked breakfast, but if there's enough people in the FoD, that could be arranged.

I do not do tenting. I will do camping when I get my tiny caravan... next year. I could bring the 740 but I've booked the hotel again on the off chance I'm more confident in the 205 this time. Hotel is refundable too.

The main reason I found this thread is my mums just messaged me saying she's just got back from her little old lady walking group and they went right past the FoD! We could make a citroen h-van prosecco type stall out of the blue van, cut a hole in the side of it etc and cider and make a fortune with passing trade! 

Well that did not go to plan, this morning Mrs6c used our MX5 to run a few errands and all was fine except see reported a bit of belt squeal. Later when she was going to an appointment, 3 miles from the house she saw steam wispring from around the bonnet and pulled over. I was summonsed and took her to her appointment.

We then returned to the MX5 which had cooled down to warm and toped the water up. 2 litres went in and the car was driven the 3 miles home and left running on the drive. It sat there showing just under half way on the temp gauge and after a while a fan cut in with the temp still showing half way. Why did it reject 2 LTR of water?

The concern is it was in protest that Mrs6c did not lower the roof on a warm and dry day!

IMG_20210603_191220 broad.jpg

Something possibly making the cooling system marginal.  It's ok cooling the heat load at idle, but as soon as you drive the car and put more demand on the cooling system, it can't cope, overheats and spits out some water.

Maybe.

Has the system had a flush at any point in recent times?  A silted up radiator can cause these exact symptoms.

MX5s can burn off the coolant unless bled with their nose jacked about 70 feet into the air, been there. :P

Maybe an air lock similar to what happens when the coolant is filled without the nose up caused the aforementioned symptoms, not sure though.

Another day another breakdown!

I was helping my friend Derek get his Mini out of storage to go the Mini show at Gaydon on Sunday and we coasted to a halt at the roadside. I called Mrs6c to the rescue, knowing the fuel was lowish we asked her to bring petrol and a tow rope. We added petrol but it would still not go. We checked and found a good fat spark, but the plugs were dry. At this time Derek decided to abandon the trip and we towed it on a rope back to storage. 

IMG_20210604_173631 broad.jpg