Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

18 hours ago, beko1987 said:

What struck me the most, and @davidfowler2000 s pics confirm this is the bias towards the early 2000's in terms of (Road going) chod!

My car, the 306, 2 of the mx5's, beetle, @bub2006s van, grahams's 206 c15...all 2000 to 2003. Even the van gave a valiant cough at bringing early 2005 to the proceedings 

Do we feel dirty or celebrate this fact*? 

I think you are spot on, when cars are 15 to 20 years old is the sweet spot for buying them. They are too old for most people’s everyday transport and not a desirable future classic.

I have discovered that when buying a car at its least fashionable or useful is a perfect time to buy it for buttons and then let it age with you. There does seem to be a general up valuing of most cars and my bargain bottom only applies to regular cars. I seem to get as much pleasure out of a £333 car as a £3,333 car.

Funny this topic should come up because at the weekend I was looking at @Crackers 16 year old Focus and thinking if buying an early Focus now could I avoid “FORD TAX”. Crackers Focus is in great condition and my memory of an early Focus is a decent drive.

IMG_20210531_155659 crop Focus broad.jpg

7 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Funny this topic should come up because at the weekend I was looking at @Crackers 16 year old Focus and thinking if buying an early Focus now could I avoid “FORD TAX”. Crackers Focus is in great condition and my memory of an early Focus is a decent drive.

IMG_20210531_155659 crop Focus broad.jpg

IMO the Mk1 Focus is one to buy now, you can get a nice one for peanuts, even an ST170, and you're unlikely to lose any money if you sell it later down the line. They are  basic no-frills motoring, but a pretty good steer. Mine has been utterly reliable apart from breaking springs, and it's (possibly because it's a very late one with low miles) still free of rust.  Just don't get a 1.6 unless you have a fetish for rowing the gearbox.

When I eventually replace it, it'll probably be offered on the forum.

20 hours ago, beko1987 said:

What struck me the most, and @davidfowler2000 s pics confirm this is the bias towards the early 2000's in terms of (Road going) chod!

My car, the 306, 2 of the mx5's, beetle, @bub2006s van, grahams's 206 c15...all 2000 to 2003. Even the van gave a valiant cough at bringing early 2005 to the proceedings 

Do we feel dirty or celebrate this fact*? 

Hopefully we celebrate because apart from the '73 DS our other cars are a W reg Pug 206, a W reg Saab 9-5 estate and an 02 reg Saab 9-3 floppytop.

Who needs cars that are less than 20 years old?

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Is the weekend 10th 11th July too early for another FoD open weekend?
55 minutes ago, N19 said:

Excuse the noob question - from what I can gather, FoD events are run out of the kindness of Mr @Six-cylinder and one rocks up, gets to chat and admire a variety of chod whilst repaying in the form of labour on whatever projects are ongoing? If so, sounds fantastic!

I’ve referred to it before as a sort men’s therapy group. ( women allowed too obvs. Or we wouldn’t get @Mrs6C s cider and plant contributions ). I may* be able to make a July meet. Bad news today has probably nixed all weekend plans until then though. My 2nd vaccination is due on the 4th July so should be ok the following week.

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

@DSdriver Do you have a picture of your DS at the FoD please as it seems to be the one car I missed with my photos.

I was so in awe of everything that was going on that I completely forgot to take any pictures. Fortunately the car was papped just as we were shooting off early because I was knackered after the drive up. MrsDSdriver enjoyed meeting everyone as well, and we had a lovely long chat with MrsSixCylinder. MrsDS also said it is not often you get the opportunity to shoo lambs to the right side of the fence on your way to the lavvy.