Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Well that didn’t go well!

On the way back from Flowers Farm the Sigma temp gauge started rise but as I was on a dual carriageway with no hard shoulder I carried on the 2 miles to the first layby. When I stopped there was steam wisping from under the bonnet.

The AA arrived and diagnosed a split water hose to the oil cooler. He had the right size hose and soon fitted a bit. Unfortunately when I went to restart the Sigma it simply pushed water out of the radiator and the diagnose was head gasket. He towed me to FoD on his dolly.

After all I have said about the service of Recovery firms the AA after a shaky start trying to contact them were great. The roadside patrol turned up in 40 mins was helpful and fixed the original problem. When that didn’t work he towed me to the FoD and then took the wheels I was carrying for @Flat4 and me home.

9/10 with the 1 point lost for the hard time trying to contact them 4 times, listening to all the spiel and press 1 for a long wait, 2 to be cut off..........

IMG_20240324_161621 broad.jpg

IMG_20240324_161747 broad.jpg

IMG_20240324_161905 broad.jpg

IMG_20240324_165143 broad.jpg

bugger! the Sigma really is being an awkward one aint it! glad you got recovered without too much trouble in the end tho :) 

You're really not having the best of luck lately are you!  One of those cases where you have to wonder whether the system pressurised due to gasket failure and that cause the hose to let go, or the hose let go and the overheating saw off an aged gasket.  Hopefully it won't be the worst job to get it sorted.  If you're looking for someone to check, clean and if necessary skim the heads, I was really impressed with these guys when they did the ones for the Rover for me: https://www.headlinemk.co.uk/

33 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

You're really not having the best of luck lately are you!  One of those cases where you have to wonder whether the system pressurised due to gasket failure and that cause the hose to let go, or the hose let go and the overheating saw off an aged gasket.  Hopefully it won't be the worst job to get it sorted.  If you're looking for someone to check, clean and if necessary skim the heads, I was really impressed with these guys when they did the ones for the Rover for me: https://www.headlinemk.co.uk/

The AA man though it was the oil leaking long term from the rocker cover had softened the water pipe and I tend to agree with him.

Headline is who I used for the Carlon head work.

4 minutes ago, Tommyboy12 said:

Have you had RAC cover to compare? Im a bit at my wits end with RAC and contemplating a switch to the AA.

Yes I had RAC and had terrible experiences with them taking forever to turn up and just sending me messages to update how long it would take. With the Carlton overheat even to the point I got @Slowsilver to help me because sitting on the roadside for 3 hours with nothing to drink or a toilet when I was not very well was just too much for me.

I changed to AA in 2021 and did not need them. This year I have needed them twice 2 days apart and apart from the difficulty in getting though they have been great.

My AA renewal is due November and due to the high cost I will be checking if anybody else offers all the things I need for a better price, except RAC and they can get lost.

On 21/03/2024 at 06:59, Shite Ron said:

If a car was written off and rebuilt it got the latest registration until 1984 when the Q plate came out.

That explains the circa 1975 Marina Coupe on an ‘A’ prefix plate running around Tewkesbury then! 
It was perplexing me, I was considering having @LightBulbFun investigate the situation…

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

That explains the circa 1975 Marina Coupe on an ‘A’ prefix plate running around Tewkesbury then! 
It was perplexing me, I was considering having @LightBulbFun investigate the situation…

the Q plate scheme was introduced on the 1st of August 1983, along with Prefix plates and a bunch of other policy changes (for example imports and ex-army vehicles where from that point forward given plates according to the year of manufacturer not their date of registration with the DVLA)

so the Morris Marina on an A Suffix plate is quite unusual, wearing the identity of an ital perhaps?  (or is an Ital with a Marina front end?)