Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

3/4 of an invacar has just turned up

haha 3/4th?! your generous :) 

I wish it was 3/4th! 

more like 1/4th! sadly if that

(would have responded sooner but I only just woke up! I have my bad back and my cat, that (very cute) fat little bastard LOL to blame for that, my back not letting me fall asleep then my cat for waking me up far too early LOL)

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

haha 3/4th?! your generous :) 

I wish it was 3/4th! 

more like 1/4th! sadly if that

(would have responded sooner but I only just woke up! I have my bad back and my cat, that (very cute) fat little bastard LOL to blame for that, my back not letting me fall asleep then my cat for waking me up far too early LOL)

I'm presuming you wanted it for the complete looking rear axle, brake components, good wheels and tyres and suspension rather than wanting a trailer? Because its not a good trailer (we borrowed the smashed light fitting from the trailer board to make a test lamp for cx fettling) but it rolls and bounces well

11 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I'm presuming you wanted it for the complete looking rear axle, brake components, good wheels and tyres and suspension rather than wanting a trailer? Because its not a good trailer (we borrowed the smashed light fitting from the trailer board to make a test lamp for cx fettling) but it rolls and bounces well

not sure what im going to do with it in the long run! 

should a Model 64 (or Tippen Delta it shares some brake components with) require those components then it may become a parts doner yeah but who knows!, (BTW for @egg turns out at least the brake shoes and drums are shared with the Mk12 and most other villers and electric machines it seems)

happy to know some part of it has already come in handy at least :) 

sadly the rear axle is not complete, there is supposed to also be a differential but thats clearly missing sadly

Some cx life - well it fires, but won’t run. Power to the main injector but not the rail. I’m sick to death of relays! Oddly we then had the very same issue with the RR.  Then it got cold and dark, so I’m now at home waiting for the oven to heat up for dinner. 

Im very sorry mr light bulb, but I couldn’t get to the invacar to drop the tank. I had the big toolkit, but time and a soggy approach to the main field were against us. Field of dreams now has a growing collection of invacars and bits!

nice to meet up with folk again.

1D2A4C4D-4CE9-40DE-89FC-E41F113EE10E.jpeg

374246B9-7D3F-426A-9DB5-294D42DD331A.jpeg

C5C12473-8CA5-41F6-8D9B-428B2ACF8FB8.jpeg

2BEC010E-7408-4B74-84C0-F2594D65D665.jpeg

DAC54F27-F2D4-4A6B-8FB3-76B90F8C7C4B.jpeg

AF7CBAA8-A1A4-4A23-B394-8D29EC9A414B.jpeg

9416DB46-3BDB-49C8-AB96-D721F12E94FA.jpeg

CC3352A4-1D60-488A-9B34-556C2300A7D5.jpeg

The CX tried to run, but bless it it could not. @richardmorris@richardmorris and Andy chased the injector wiring back and it was sound until we got to the front rh relays then it just stopped, moving relays about moved clicking but still no dice

But I fettled a dead sidelight bulb. The bulb was fine, and indeed taking it out and putting it back in again yielded light. 

But the bulb was black and old so I swapped it out, then went over both rear lights and had each bulb out and got a baby wipe and microfiber in all the compartments so it's as good as it will ever be

IMG_20200202_113753.thumb.jpg.f722b8ca322ca18a830f4e39d947c10b.jpg

IMG_20200202_113643.thumb.jpg.25da28e47dd90bf8ed41bc5b06379c04.jpg

And gave the lenses (and headlights) a good clean as the cars filthy, but I cba to wash it all

12 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Im very sorry mr light bulb, but I couldn’t get to the invacar to drop the tank. I had the big toolkit, but time and a soggy approach to the main field were against us. Field of dreams now has a growing collection of invacars and bits!

awww

I very much appreciate the thought at least :) 

I do hope something can be done relatively soon, may is only a few months away and I really want to make it to shitefest in REV!

26 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

awww

I very much appreciate the thought at least :) 

I do hope something can be done relatively soon, may is only a few months away and I really want to make it to shitefest in REV!

I took the printout of the pdf with me, I’m sure it won’t be difficult. The difficulty will be if anything needs fixing with the tank. 

30 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I took the printout of the pdf with me, I’m sure it won’t be difficult. The difficulty will be if anything needs fixing with the tank. 

thats one of the reasons I want to get a head start on the tank

the rest of REV's issues im hoping are relatively small fry:

sort out the electrical woes, ie get all the lights working, aka clean up all the bad grounds, because fibreglass car! lob a couple better headlamps in (as her current ones while they work, are cracked and reflectors have rusted badly) 

run new fuel line because the old stuff is pretty crusty and I aint taking any risks

flush the brakes and repair/replace where necessary (so quite possibly replace all the brake lines, as again dont want to take risks)

a new set of tyres

obviously an oil change/full servicing!

luckily from the parts stash I believe I have enough parts to do all of the above

(for example if necessary im pretty sure I have enough spare parts to entirely overhaul all the brake hardware, for all 3 wheels)

a new wiper blade!

and I dont think she needs much else to be road worthy thankfully :) and most of the above is fairly easy to do, the Model 70 is pretty easy to work on thankfully!

but the fuel tank might be a show stopper as I dont have one of those spare and if its leaking then its not something you can fix on site the same day I dont think?

so I want to get that sorted first ahead of time,  if its too far gone for patching

then I want to be able to at least lob it at the same guys that made a new tank for @Zelandeth  as pattern and hopefully have a new tank ready to drop in when the rest of the work is to be done

(I cant just ask them to make another tank the same as Zels and REV and TPA have different fuel tanks and I think the mounting hardware is different as a result of it, otherwise id of probably already done that by now just for peace of mind!)

honestly I wish I could lob the whole of REV at a garage, but while sure you can find a garage to work on some fiendishly complicated hydropneumatic citroen, I dont think any garage would touch a relatively simple Model 70 sadly

20 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

@LightBulbFun if you want to get to Reading one Saturday I could drop you up and pick you up again on my way to and from Birmingham..... just a thought. I've got plenty of tools here so you wouldn't need to lug anything about on the train just use all my bits. 

ah thats much appreciated and ill keep it in mind :) but REV lives at the FoD currently and is not currently roadworthy so im not sure how id be able to work on her from there sadly?

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

thats one of the reasons I want to get a head start on the tank

the rest of REV's issues im hoping are relatively small fry:

sort out the electrical woes, ie get all the lights working, aka clean up all the bad grounds, because fibreglass car! lob a couple better headlamps in (as her current ones while they work, are cracked and reflectors have rusted badly) 

run new fuel line because the old stuff is pretty crusty and I aint taking any risks

flush the brakes and repair/replace where necessary (so quite possibly replace all the brake lines, as again dont want to take risks)

a new set of tyres

obviously an oil change/full servicing!

luckily from the parts stash I believe I have enough parts to do all of the above

(for example if necessary im pretty sure I have enough spare parts to entirely overhaul all the brake hardware, for all 3 wheels)

a new wiper blade!

and I dont think she needs much else to be road worthy thankfully :) and most of the above is fairly easy to do, the Model 70 is pretty easy to work on thankfully!

but the fuel tank might be a show stopper as I dont have one of those spare and if its leaking then its not something you can fix on site the same day I dont think?

so I want to get that sorted first ahead of time,  if its too far gone for patching

then I want to be able to at least lob it at the same guys that made a new tank for @Zelandeth  as pattern and hopefully have a new tank ready to drop in when the rest of the work is to be done

(I cant just ask them to make another tank the same as Zels and REV and TPA have different fuel tanks and I think the mounting hardware is different as a result of it, otherwise id of probably already done that by now just for peace of mind!)

honestly I wish I could lob the whole of REV at a garage, but while sure you can find a garage to work on some fiendishly complicated hydropneumatic citroen, I dont think any garage would touch a relatively simple Model 70 sadly

ah thats much appreciated and ill keep it in mind :) but REV lives at the FoD currently and is not currently roadworthy so im not sure how id be able to work on her from there sadly?

No I'd drop you at the fod on my way to brum and swing by and pick you up on my way home. 

20 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

No I'd drop you at the fod on my way to brum and swing by and pick you up on my way home. 

oh thats very much appreciated ill keep it in mind :) and I very much appreciate the offer of tools as well :)  just making sure I understand things properly, your offering to pick me up from my home and drop me off at the FoD and back again right?

(im just not actually 100% sure where the FoD actually is just that its not too far from MK, so I get bit confused when you mention reading thats all sorry!)

it does remind me I still need to get a good tool/socket/ratchet set myself for when I have to work on REV at home, if anyone has any recommendations im all ears :) 

(a good starter kit for someone who does not have any previous tools or such, with a good mix of Metric and imperial sockets if possible :) )

A good car day today, I have got my AX 14TRS back running with mot. This is the first time it has visited a petrol station for a good number of years, filled up at 32,316 miles and it feels and even smells like a new car in many ways.

The reason it did not run when I got it was dead fuel and the tank has been out and cleaned, fortunately the tank is plastic or it would have rusted solid like fuel gauge sender unit. The carb has also been out and cleaned a couple of times as it was still gumming up with sticky fuel. A full service, cam belt change was carried out along with rear brake cylinder/shoes and the front sorted.

What I have noticed:

Uneven idle with tendency to stall

The tyres only just scrapped though the MOT because they have started to crack and I guess are old

The tailgate struts are weak

Passenger door mirror internal handle limp and floppy

Driver’s door mirror plastic head cracked broken away

A bit of bodywork needed, round driver’s key hole and rear wheel arches seem to have been flared out.

Sunroof surround discoloured

Needs a clean

I need a period radio with a cassette player

I have the original service book stamped from Pre delivery inspection 10th Feb 1988 to 28,280 miles 14th Feb 1996. Always the same dealer in Bristol, Beacon Motors, 256 Gloucester Road, now a Sainsbury Local.

First owner Mr Anderson, Shendan Road, Bristol, 2nd owner? Third owner me.

@bramz7 was it registered to you or your friend?

DVLA checks revealed nothing about the car. The tax on the screen ran out Jan 2001 and was issued in Bristol

Thank you to my anonymous benefactor who sent me an AX key ring with no clue where it came from, it is in use and perfect for the job.

Do I have the best AX of any shiter now!

IMG_20200207_125218 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_130636 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_131252_1 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_131652 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_131011 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_135934 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_135921 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_133720 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_152433 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_131837 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_135950 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_135944 broad.jpg

4 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

Great to see it running. I'm not sure that the AX was ever registered to me you know...I could have sworn I got a V5 but it let me do a keeper change with the old new keeper slip! So I guess I didn't. 

I'd like a drive of this one day!

Please up date me if you can find the 2nd owner or find you do have a V5C.

No problem having a drive.

12 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Please up date me if you can find the 2nd owner or find you do have a V5C.

No problem having a drive.

not sure if its any help/good or not but it looks like the 2nd owner acquired keepership of the car on the 31st of the 1st 2019 :) (NB the first keeper date is in american date format and is just the cars date of first registration)

image.png.df81f37aa7264fd07a28d437ec57de1c.png

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

not sure if its any help/good or not but it looks like the 2nd owner acquired keepership of the car on the 31st of the 1st 2019 :) (NB the first keeper date is in american date format and is just the cars date of first registration)

The famous and secretive reg checking tool in effect!

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Thanks that helps a lot.

@bramz7 who did you buy it from?