Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

2 hours ago, chaseracer said:

YO SAM, how much for an interior valet on the Zanussi...? ?

I was contemplating asking Chris if he could bring the generator... I could bring my 800w Numatic (would run well enough off the generator, it struggled with my 1400w vax) and do a proper/better job (and get the mouse poo out of the olcit) ... You could borrow it... I've got a 12v one the kids can use, but it won't do a good job... 

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Now more Italian content, I went to see my Trevi yesterday and am very pleased how it is going. They have done the underside welding and say all the holes were small ones! They have it running but wonder if the carb is of a 1600cc as it does not run well.

They have given me a list of parts they want me to get and this does not feel a bad list.

Plastic header tank

Throttle cable

Washer bottle

2 wheel bolts

Light switch

Four tyres

rear brake pads

Spark plugs

Great guys at the garage and I feel we will be on the road looking still looking tatty in a few weeks.

That's really great news.  Given how down at heel it looked when it arrived I was worried that the underneath would be like Swiss cheese.

If the washer bottle turns out to be really difficult to source, do you think it could be repaired with some fibreglass to at least make it workable until a replacement turned up?  Though thinking about it, a remote pump and a pop bottle cable tied somewhere out of the way in the engine bay would probably be easier...

11 minutes ago, Jifflemon said:

there's a third one too....

I worked for a Volvo dealer in the 1980s and was lucky enough to have 3 in a row as company cars including one of the first Turbos in the country. I then 10 years ago owned a white 480 ES pre cat and if you know the early car they were so much better without a cat.

480ES E718 XWL broad.jpg

CVS Volvo 480ES F775 HBM black.jpg

CVS Volvo 480 Turbo F75 KJO.jpg

DSCN6276.jpg broad.jpg

I worked for a Volvo dealer in the 1980s and was lucky enough to have 3 in a row as company cars including one of the first Turbos in the country. I then 10 years ago owned a white 480 ES pre cat and if you know the early car they were so much better without a cat.
1273070383_480ESE718XWLbroad.thumb.jpg.a8cb83e70e4083688dda21709581c585.jpg
998106059_CVSVolvo480ESF775HBMblack.thumb.jpg.e9474fb63ab99b7af91cab0d8d108294.jpg
136611647_CVSVolvo480TurboF75KJO.thumb.jpg.64a31237b9eae9dc8c55a89cc6050cf5.jpg

1433995579_DSCN6276.jpgbroad.thumb.jpg.74b0315ddecd8d5b0986efffbf86ea2f.jpg
I started working a Saturday job for a Hi-Fi dealer in early 1990 and he had just taken delivery of a new 480 turbo, I later came to realise he was somewhat impulsive with his car purchases.

It turns out when you are delivering and installing high end systems a car that you cant fit a pair of bookshelf speakers in the boot isnt ideal... It lasted about 6 months before it was replaced with a 740 estate..

Lovely motor though!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

In a fit of enthusiasm I got my Gamma out today. My friend drove it the 6 miles for me from storage to my field and by the time he got there there was steam, although the temp gauge was at normal. I had forgotten to tell him that we had put a manual switch in for the fan so I need to see if there is anything wrong or if we have done damage.

Also the brakes are sticky and need freeing off. If only we knew somebody who was good at freeing sticky brakes! @dollywobbler

My Gamma has not been run for over 6 months so running it seemed a good thing to do.

IMG_20200709_123316 broad.jpg

3 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

In a fit of enthusiasm I got my Gamma out today. My friend drove it the 6 miles for me from storage to my field and by the time he got there there was steam, although the temp gauge was at normal. I had forgotten to tell him that we had put a manual switch in for the fan so I need to see if there is anything wrong or if we have done damage.

Also the brakes are sticky and need freeing off. If only we knew somebody who was good at freeing sticky brakes! @dollywobbler

My Gamma has not been run for over 6 months so running it seemed a good thing to do.

IMG_20200709_123316 broad.jpg

Blimey my trailer has grown a bit since i last saw it!

maybe with more of @Mrs6C's gardening skills it might grow back into a full AC Model 64 again, then you can harvest it for batteries to get Molly the milk float going :mrgreen:

The serious bit for the guests of the open weekend.

Please bring your own antibacterial gel, food, drink, tools and chair. Wear gloves or wipe down things touched by others.

I am keen we all stay safe and everyone will need to look after each other’s well-being by social distancing.

Please note - we have no insurance for you, however you hurt yourselves! We’re not a commercial venture and you are all attending as our private guests. It’s a field, so the ground is uneven and there are many ways you can slip, trip or fall. Please take care and be careful if you use or work on any vehicles or equipment. Remember - SAFETY FIRST!

10 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Please note - we have no insurance for you, however you hurt yourselves! We’re not a commercial venture and you are all attending as our private guests. It’s a field, so the ground is uneven and there are many ways you can slip, trip or fall. Please take care and be careful if you use or work on any vehicles or equipment. Remember - SAFETY FIRST!

beko no hoovers :D

12 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Please bring your own antibacterial gel, food, drink, tools and chair. Wear gloves or wipe down things touched by others. - all you italian pervs

I am keen we all stay safe and everyone will need to BRING CHOCOLATE BISCUITS

all you need :)

In other news, @quicksilver and @Slowsilver came over to the FoD today and together we completed Part 1 of the Model 70 tyre change project. With an assortment of jacks, a long bit of wood and axle stands, we elevated the rear ends (ooh err Missus!) of both of them and removed their rear wheels. The long bit of wood was needed because both of Dolly's rear tyres were as flat as pancakes and there wasn't enough room to get the jack underneath the chassis rail, so a bit of leverage was applied, using an old fencepost stub as a fulcrum, to gain clearance.

09-Jul-20 - REV and Dolly have their rear wheels removed.JPG

Leaving both cars up on axle stands, @Slowsilver has taken the four wheels off to the local tyre depot to get nice new tyres put on them. We left the front wheels for Part 2 of the venture, as it was easier to deal with one end of the cars at a time and it also started to rain just as we retrieved the fourth wheel! Part 2 is planned for tomorrow morning.

09-Jul-20 - REV and Dolly are elevated.JPG

Sadly, one of Dolly's rear wheel studs was found to have snapped off inside the hub. The corroded surface shows this is an old break, so could have been like that for the last 20 years! Unwinding the wheelnut had the effect of unwinding the wheel stud until it came off with the wheel. So far the combination has resisted attempts to part the two components with a stud extractor, so we'll have a go with heat next. The stud threads are probably saveable. Hopefully the bit left in the hub can also be extracted and that tapped out as well.

I'm not sure if these are the same studs as @Zelandeth's Model 70, given his has the 12" wheels, but no doubt we can compare notes shortly! :-)

09-Jul-20 - long-since snapped wheel stud.JPG