Limited mileage insurance

garycox

I posted this on Retro Rides (sorry!) but as I'm off work and MEGA-BORED today I thought I'd wang it on here too as I don't seem to be getting any attention over there...I may be being thick here, but how do they actually enforce limited mileage policies? Like what if your odometer doesn't work? or what if you replace it?And also, if somebody else borrows my car and drives it on their own cover, third party like, does that count towards my mileage allowance?

I’ve been with my insurers for yonks, they’ve never asked for mileage to be confirmed at renewal time, or when I add/delete a car to the policy. But, as you say RW, in the event of a claim I suspect they’d be interested in looking at old MoT’s…

No it's for nothing specifically, I've just been wondering...Although I did replace the instruments on my old Transit because the fuel guage didn't work, the new reading was 15k less than mine so come MOT time it showed an extra 800 miles instead of 15,800...Also my dad borrows my cars on occasions and runs them on his own policy, I was wondering whether the miles he does eats into my allowance, it's not really clear on the documents...

Hmm. I'm not an insurance broker so I don't know how that works - but I thought you can only have one policy on a vehicle at any one time; so I don't know how valid your dad's cover is, if your own policy is also in force on that particular vehicle when he borrows it. One to run past your broker, I think - otherwise I'd say mileage is mileage, no matter who puts it on the car.

I may be being thick here, but how do they actually enforce limited mileage policies? Like what if your odometer doesn't work? or what if you replace it?

I had a problem that I had my land rover in pieces around the garden for 2 years, and in the process of it moving piece by piece 60 yards into my workshop the odometer skipped about 40,000 miles.The insureres were fine with it though as they put it down as the odometer had been replaced.

The mileometer on my Scirocco has recently stopped working so i have just changed the policy from 10k agreed milage to 1k until i get it mended. Only brought the cost of the insurance down by £34 but there was a £30 mid term adjustment fee :evil:.The phone call to the insurance company from my mobile probably cost more than £4....'Your call is important to us, please wait whilst your call is held in a queue'.

'Your call is important to us, please wait whilst your call is held in a queue'.

More like - 'Your call is important to our profits, please wait, your call is held in a queue whilst we transfer you to a sub-saharan continent'When I call my insurance company I get put through to South Africa..

Moerer, Meneer Volksy !! I had the same experience insuring a Mk2 Golf GTi with "Budget", who were anything but.....Got a good description of the view of Table Mountain out their office window ! Lekker !!!tot siens from Lovejoy :roll:

I've been down to Just Car Clinic with the GF's Saxo to get an estimate (see the Hit and Run thread)... they did the paperwork, took photos of the damage and then took one of the VIN and one of the Odometer. She's on a limited mileage policy but didn't give her start mileage when the policy commenced, I do wonder if they'd take it from an old MoT in the event of it being written off? Can they get that info from the new computerised ones without us handing over the certificate?