'just bloody scrap it' - the eBay 'fuck me, what were they thinking' thread

messerschmitt owner

8 hours ago, AdeMk1 said:

and when I think back to how many Mk1s, Mk2s & Mk3s I scrapped in my youth! I'd be a very rich man!

Which is why the remaining ones fetch such a high price.

There is a theory that expensive to buy when new cars are better looked after and therefore last longer than cheaper ill maintained 'cooking' cars whose attrition rate is much higher. Which is why olde worlde prestigious cars are almost as easy to buy, and sometimes cheaper than, many run-of-the-mill family cars of a similar vintage.

3 hours ago, martc said:

Which is why the remaining ones fetch such a high price.

There is a theory that expensive to buy when new cars are better looked after and therefore last longer than cheaper ill maintained 'cooking' cars whose attrition rate is much higher. Which is why olde worlde prestigious cars are almost as easy to buy, and sometimes cheaper than, many run-of-the-mill family cars of a similar vintage.

The Earl of March still drives the family Bentley blower which is getting on for 100 years old. Assuming a nominal value new as the equivalent of £100k then it has cost roughly £80 a month, somewhat less than the £270 my mate pays for his Ford Focus! Obviously other factors come in such as price of spares so it’s not such an easy comparison but an interesting one. Similarly the old expression - buy well, buy once. Great if you can afford to.

48 minutes ago, Jack D said:

Forty two hundred quid, fuck me. 

Still, at least it comes with a nice Serck metal rear plate

6D69784D-52C2-460F-AF23-9A5866BC85E6.thumb.png.b41e80f94f84d8565018b74d35d7ebcd.png

Probably not, new shells are available, as are ‘most’ parts. It will be a complete bitsa but they fetch such obscene amounts it’s worth doing for some people.

Once it’s finished bleeding your £bank account you could walk into Mini and get a brand new cooperS for the same money , but I suppose that’s not the idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, georgeinabz said:

Once it’s finished bleeding your £bank account you could walk into Mini and get a brand new cooperS for the same money , but I suppose that’s not the idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a proper cooper ;-) The bini ‘may’ be a decent car but it bears no resemblance to an original mini. Would I spend the money this would need for what would be at best a copy? Would I fuck, but plenty do judging by the mini shows. They have just gone stupid recently and they are being bought by people as a fashion statement. It’s happening across the classic world and not for the benefit of people who want them to use as they were intended. £20-30k would buy a lot of prime chod!

13 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I'm starting to warm to the R50 Bini but think the current model is fucking awful

The older Binis are OK, but they do seem very cheap and rattly inside compared to other cars that age. I wouldn’t mind an early supercharged one.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, spartacus said:

£600, do they even look at car prices? You can buy a decent useable car for that money, that's surely just scrap.

But Prelude.

Well... slightly flambéd Prelude.