Citroen Ax Project (16v Hybrid Conversion)

Rusty_Pug

This project was introduced by Chompy_Snake but thought as its my car I'd open a new thread which I can include everything on myself. Here I have my Citroen Ax Spree 5 door (of course) 954cc running a MA4 (4 speed manual) gearbox. Its 20 years old (older than myself) and its a very nice green colour the Citroen thought was stylish in the late 80's and early 90's...  

This little go kart was purchased for £200, which is cheap to say that the numbers of Ax's are now dropping very quickly. I bought it from Warrington. I knew I was buying it before we got there, it was a 5 door... green... Citroen Ax which every 19 year old lad wants to buy as there 10th car...

We travelled there in a Lexus LS400 (4.0 v8.... not the cheapest lift I've ever had) but I bet you can guess which car made it back first... ME! of course because I was the one with the sat nav so had to be in front and wouldn't let the Lexus past me!

It cost me £50 to insure the Ax for 24 hours... which I used every minute of

The night I brought the Ax I took it down to the local Tesco... People laughed at me which was the aim of going there in the first place... sat there in my Ax revving the beefy 954cc engine I showed everyone how quick... or slow the Ax actually were by ragging it through Tesco in only first gear... 0-30 in about 5 seconds
So everyone in there Honda Civic Type R's, the Corsa VXR's and the other over-rated (so called) fast cars saw how awesomely slow the Ax is, all I have to do now is build the Ax, take it back down... do the same again and see the difference in there facial expressions, ask them for a race (not on public roads of course) and then laugh at me afterwards... Well that's the plan anyway...

Here is the build so far...

The Ax as it was when I first bought it...
IMG_1417_zpsae75c159.jpg

Front end stripped down ready for the engine change...

10917736_10152933316108567_266478001_n_z

Peugeot Series 1 (S1) Rallye Seats and 4 Point Sparco Harnesses... Stripped out the rear seats and plastics but not the door cards as the weigh nothing anyway

10921805_10152933316488567_1431106204_n_

10917507_10152933316468567_1333731024_n_

Found the engine for the car, 1.6 16v JP4 engine from a Peugeot 206cc with 90,000 miles

10922174_10152933324783567_1192728332_n_

Started the 4 stud conversion on the back which was as easy as changing the back plates and drums from my old quicksilver, the front is simply putting the quicksilver suspension legs onto the Ax but keeping the Ax top mounts

Ax4Stud_zpsabb464f1.jpg

Uprated speakers were a must because I couldn't put the stereo above volume 10 without it crackling

10928447_10152933324223567_948597947_n_z

10859364_10152933316568567_1153614437_n_

I looked around forever looking for the wheels I wanted to go onto the Ax... something never done before, something people wouldn't believe, something no one would expect... I went for the Porsche 924 Tarantula's

_57_zps84b04604.jpg

Boss Kit and Steering Wheel was then changed... which I need to replace with a deep dish but this one will do for the time being

10912909_10152933315998567_386726814_n_z

I purchased the j4 engine parts I needed for the Hybrid Engine... a few more parts are needed but got most of what is needed so far...

D7819B9E-A664-4C4F-A487-294FE9180BB5_zps

F94D8F74-DB1F-40A1-882E-982D7D99CA85_zps

The new head was placed in position to make sure it actually fitted correctly and the rear engine mount from the VTR was grinded back to fit clear the head...

8DBA73FC-B93D-4BD8-A079-93B9088D71FC_zps

Snug fit now after some grinding...

EA4DD35E-BFA9-4574-BAF3-C8651AE46D7C_zps

Engine ready for new timing belt, tensioners, water pump, head bolts and whatever else I end up doing (having a full rebuild basically)

9E732B0F-844E-4F21-A14D-E7D9DD7D7666_zps

That is the build so far...

On the to-do list... Get the tired, old and small 954cc engine out the Ax
                              Build the new engine and get it nice and shiny
                              All new tyres on the alloys after being refurbed and painted
                              Clean up the Engine Bay!
                              Patch up any rust (none so far)
                              Get the wiring loom built

New engine into the car ready for wiring
                              Get the engine wired up

First start up

First test Drive

Have some fun on the road!!!

Any information you know of that would help with the build is much appreciated!

I will post updates as the build goes on but due to the weather recently and my finances being S*** the build is slow but progress is being made...

When I used to do trackdays at Knockhill, the car that was consistently the fastest was an AX. It was running a Saxo VTS engine on throttle bodies and slick tyres. Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING could keep up with it. Granted the guy knew the track well, but that car was untouchable, much to the annoyance of those in more powerful cars.

Bet that really upset the cheque-book heroes crowd, all the gear, no idea! (I'll take it for granted this included the local Lotus Elise superheroes)

Let me guess, when they got the smug arses handed to them by 'Some crappy French PoS', did they cite any of the following as an excuse? Brake fade, duff quality fuel, over fuelling injectors, ECU fault, suspension set-up. The list is long...............

There used to be a pretty prolific AX around these parts, maybe 10 years ago.

GT shell, with a twin-upswept centre exit DTM and rumoured to be running a BX GTi engine.

Dunno what it was (suspecting Saxo), but it didn't hang about.

Good luck with it, but I would lose the harnesses and refit the back seats, personally.

I seem to have wandered into an edition of Max Power... Actually it takes me back to my yoof but of course then it was all about putting Austin 1100 engines into 998cc minis and lobbing on twin carbs. Rebuilding a donkey on a mucky garage floor - repseckt. Im sure this will be lunacy once finished, but most of the fun is in the fettling. Enjoy.

Having a 1500 dizzler AX in Forest Green I can safely say that though they feel like they are made out of tin foil they are quite robust and fun to drive. Front after market driveshafts seem to be made out of cheesium though and last only nanoseconds before clonking again.

You need to swap the whole beam as the ax one won't have the anti roll bar in it, an will probably have torsion bars like cocktail sticks. what you have done will work but will handle badly.

I'll dredge up my ax posts later,I've had a 5 door vts and 5 door vtr, I've also got a few spare bits still.

Apart from the interior shit that you have removed, and worse shit that you have added, I'm incredibly impressed.  Had you keep the interior standard, I'd be MORE impressed.

I have AX form.

Firstly my best man, (now a Chartered Engineer at Rolls Royce designing aero engines), had an AX GT, which he sold a P6 to buy, and which then had head gasket followed by terminal engine failure.  He found a 1.1 engine in a scrap yard, and threw that in, and flogged it.  Whether he told them it had half the power it should have I have no idea, but he was always a bit of a twat.

Then I had a 1.4 AX D with GT wheels. I had to jack the rear arches out so the wheels did not fail. I fitted big spot lights, with one relay and one fuse per light (as you do), and spent 5 years trying to destroy it. No luck. In the end I got so bored of it I px'd it at a dealer for a mk3 astra saloon.

Thank you all for the comments!!

And yes the head skim will need doing soon, need to get head gasket cut out yet but cardboard box is still in the loft

Ruff geezer I will look at them later on once I have access to a computer, as it stands Im hoping for about 130bhp before cams or anything like that with the hybrid engine, been told they perform very well with the correct gearbox, etc and when it's finished it will be put on the rolling road to see what it will pulling

Oh and the axle 4 stud conversion... I have a spare axle so that will be going on complete with new brake lines as there butchered

Why take the seats out?

Everything else, fair enough. Removing the seats I don't get. It's a 5dr ffs. AX seats weigh less than an anorexic's fart. All removing them does is make the car louder and shitter.

Cos its his car and money and he can do as he pleases?

Everyone here likes different things, open mind, empty wallet ftw!

The seats will be going back in, I have decided to go back to the original look of the car looking standard with alloys on it
and then use the rallye seats and harnesses for santa pod and track days

It wasn't going to be a daily use but now I decided I will be able to do both 

£1600 is the cheapest quote for the insurance... on a modified car scheme with the engine and other modifications declared. I'm 19, had my licence just over a year, 1 years no claims and 3 points for speeding (SP30)... with everything declared including the fact its a hybrid engine... this is pretty cheap.... and also any other modifications I do will cost me £25 extra after the policy has started to cover admin costs, this is with Adrian Flux and is Fully Comp with key cover, window screen cover, courtesy car and all the added extra's  
they know the Ax is a classic car now but cant give me classic insurance due to my age but because its a classic it brought the quote down, the fact that I have declared everything also brought it down (when you declared one modification it was more expensive... work that out!) Oh and I will be having a insurance approved dash cam for accident purposes which brought the insurance down a lot! (its like a black box but the insurance cant where I go, how long I drive and all that but if I have an accident I can prove what happened... video proof cannot be argued against!

More soon! 

• 2 weeks later...

update on the build....

sportex 4-2-1 manifold and decat pipe

77D00FF5-3BB6-473A-B63E-AF3F8B9F9544_zps

063EE8D0-FD96-466B-B3EE-7E2C334BD596_zps

16v wiring loom

AB6FA8CC-F3BE-4754-B3B2-9008F181839A_zps

Suede deep dish steering wheel

658C91B1-0F02-4DBF-9B4E-C4B484244816_zps

All those parts cost me £60!!! Bargain if you ask me

When the weather gets better I can rip the old 950cc engine off the Ax get the new engine build and get the wiring sorted then it is a case of putting all the pieces together... it is coming on well considering my budget....

Things to buy... head gasket
                          timing belt kit

head bolts
                          water pump

I'm not crying about it? The weather has been shit, no lighting in the garage which makes things harder and putting it on the drive will be sooooo easy with no brakes... It will be out soon but right now with the shitty weather and having bad arms I'd rather wait for a good day to do it

And yes aha helium may just do the trick;)

We'd have problems getting it there aha

The only person available to tow the ax (which is sorn and uninsured) would be Graham and he has a mk1 clio automatic so would be a struggle aha would be a laugh but with recent gearbox problems on the clio I don't think it'll be towing much just yet

I think the plan is get the engine out, then get the block mounted into the engine bay and bought the engine with the block already mounted due to not having a crane and always, a lot easier to put just the block into the engine bay rather than struggle putting the complete engine in straight away, without a crane it can get messy and things get broken aha and on the ax some things are getting hard to find and are also expensive if replaceable

£5 for 8 tiny clips for the headlights... £20 for used headlight adjusters because you cannot buy them from Citroen anymore...

But warmer weather has been forecasted soon which means the engine will be out this month :D