I iz mega tempt. Renault 4!

Fabergé Greggs

I think we had a thread about these a while back, so soz but I just want to be told again. Could I? Daily? Motorways? Bad idea, isn't it. I'm loving the crushing ability of my BX. So why would I give it up? Because want. Arrrgggg

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141561064817

7181A05F-65B2-4029-9AD6-3B32850EE3CD_zps

An 1108cc Renault 4 isn't actually that unbearable a prospect on the motorway.  Bit noisy, sure, but they're fairly high-geared and will roll along at 70 without sounding like they're about to put a rod through the block.

I think the Savane was the base model though and had the 956cc engine, so might be a bit more of an effort.  I'd go for a GTL / Clan if possible.

Obviously 10Kg of filler and a respray does not a restoration make.

There are still loads of them here, I gather they were selling them cheap at one point. The blue one looks like t'wife's uncle's one, he used to go everywhere in it until the rear chassis legs rotted out. The biggest complaint seems to be spares are €€€€

There's a Renault 4 van on E-Bay, too! It's one of the first ever imported and is a rare as the faecal deposits of a

wooden equine creature.... Needs restoration but would be worth it, once done! Take a look.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171665232504?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you ARE looking for a 4l there's one on the Classic Car website, but the price is a bit tasty....

The early van on ebay is provisionally sold I believe to someone who occasionally frequents this parish... 

The green GTL whilst nice is ever so slightly ridiculous at £7.5k. Values are going up but not quite that much yet.

Anyway, R4s.   1108 should do 40mpg + at 70. Vans have different ratios in the box so can't cruise at such high* speeds as a GTL but on a 1500 mile round trip to France mine still averaged 44mpg which was pretty ace.

They do like to rust but parts supply is very, very good. Theres virtually nothing you can't get new.

If you want one for a daily then get as late a GTL with the 1108 engine as possible. You can fit a slightly bigger carb which gives them a bit more go and is well worth doing but otherwise they do make a good daily driver as long as you keep on top of any rust issues. Otherwise they are pretty unburstable.  If you really want one then have a look at www.renault4.co.uk - theres loads of advice and guides on there.

The French still knock around in loads of these, so they can't make too bad daily drivers in terms of reliability. Prices are steadily rising and they aren't cheap any more. R4 was one of the cars on my shopping list when my Shitroen turned up. Do it! Always a good time to a buy a car when the value is on the up*!

Used to do 60 plus M-way miles a day in mine as a lead-footed teenager.   Never broke it but bits vibrated loose (including the carb) at tiresome intervals.  Mine was an 845cc too - cannot imagine that a Mini would have survived 30 months of that.  I certainly wouldn't have done had it been a Mini....

The engines do seem fairly bulletproof tbh.  I boiled up the one in my R6 when the fanbelt broke (no temp gauge and the bulb had gone in the warning light), and it doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects.  It always starts too, even after months of standing.  I don't take the car much over 60, but then it's a fair bit lower geared than a 4.

Just putting it out there- better or worse daily proposition than a dyane/ami?

R4 must be way better, it's much more modern in design. Dyane and 2CV have the advantage that you can buy almost any spare part or panel brand new from ECAS. Ami is less easy but has same simplicity and a bit more interior space. All are probably going to stink of stale Gauloises and garlic.

Just putting it out there- better or worse daily proposition than a dyane/ami?

The Rennafor is simply better and always was. It also thankfully lacks the pseudo-intellectuality attributed to Cithereens.

I had oodles of them in my lifetime, so did my mother, and I'd have another one in a second, if not prices/available funds

discrepancy.

Speaking of seconds, I second Mr Lobster's opinion to get a late GTL because disc brakes, if nothing else.

Fit the twin throat carb and inlet from an R5 and you have instantly about 40 PS and a lot more mid range oomph.

OMGMPG will slightly suffer, though, but if that's an issue, you can't afford to buy one anyway.

Engines and gearboxes are made from indestructile alloy, this is especially true for the 1108 five-bearing “Sierra†engine.

Few people know that a smaller version of it with 956cc replaced the venerable 845 from 1986 onwards, so any 1986 or later

has a version of the Sierra installed.

The rest of the car is just an empty tin box, so WCPGW?

It's also only semi monocoque, the upper structure is bolted to a platform chassis. Holes in the perfectly flat floor

don't matter much, since you can weld them up with pieces of flat sheetmetal, but crusty longerons can be tricky to

repair. As has been said, everything is available, including repair sections and complete chassisesers.

Google "Der Franzose".

One neuralgic spot is where the rear trailing arms are mounted, another the frame underneath the boot floor.

The boot floor is actually part of the body, hence painted, and the frame underneath rusts at its top side, where it meets

the boot floor. Repairing this and said mounting points of the suspension are thus body off jobs.

The usual guess how I know etc etc applies...

How true is the stuff about them burning valves at motorway speeds?

It's true for the 845s if the tappet adjustment has been severely neglected.

Proper tappet adjustment on these is critical because unleaded.

I think the real difference between a 4 and a Dyane/Ami is torque. Because the Renault actually has some (55lb ft compared to around 35 at best), it doesn't need to be driven at screamingly high revs, so I imagine it feels a lot more relaxing. 

Naturally, I'd far rather have an Ami or Dyane, but that's me.

The real difference between a 4 and a Dyane/Ami is that it has a real engine, cooled by a real medium, thus offering a real heater.

It also has real seats, a real suspension, real roadholding, real car sound, really drives better and really is superior in every single aspect.

Yes, I'd love to have an Ami, too.

My Dad had one,

it was utterly rotten at 12 years old,and not very reliable either.

It was held together with pop riveted sheet metal repairs and hope.

The final straw came when the rear inner arches rotted out and all the occupants would get soaked going through puddles.

He bought a Datsun sunny next,not quite as rotten but a lot more reliable.