What car should I buy? HORSEY HORSELESS NO WAI

garethj

The Land Rover is off for its MoT next month, it'll probably pass once some money has been thrown at it but it's also had money thrown at it during December, November and October.  250 miles a week commuting is an excellent way of finding out if anything is nearly worn out.

Fuel prices are dropping so the 30-31mpg is alright but it's still quite heavy to drive, especially when the motorway is blocked and I have to take the B roads.

We're also planning an extention for the house and Mrs_garethj will be dropping some hours on her job - I don't really want a car that needs £££ spending on it every few months.

The trouble is I can't think of a replacement and this is where the Autoshite expertise comes in.  Here's a run down of the last few cars with their pros and cons, this should help to find the perfect* solution.

Land Rover Defender

Pros: It's a motoring icon, loads of space inside.

Cons: If I have to replace another UJ I'll have a fucking nosebleed.  All the controls are heavy for a long commute so it's quite tiring.

Skoda Octavia TDi

Pros: 60mpg, huge boot, easy to drive, reliable.

Cons: Dull x 1000000000, uncomfortable seating position.

Porsche 924

Pros: A really nice drive, very comfortable driving position, looks good inside and out.

Cons: Mine needed ££££ to get it reliable (which only happened on the day I sold it)

Citroen BX

Pros: Comfortable, perky performance.

Cons: The threat of expensive breakdown loomed over me.

Peugeot 205 diesel

Pros: Cheap to buy and run, nice handling for a cheap, frugal car, good looking.

Cons: Just a little bit slow.

Is a 205 turbo diesel the right thing?  How about a 306 turbo diesel, but would it be unreliable compared to the incredibly simple 205?

I wondered about a Calibra, I wonder if an 8V would be nice and economical because the Caviliers were pretty good at the time.

For something newer, maybe a 2001ish Toyota Celica?  They look nice, should be reliable and are supposed to be a good drive.

Budget is around £1500, maybe £2000.  After owning lots of cars I think I need something where my budget would buy a good example of that car.  The 924 owning experience would have been very different if my car hadn't needed expensive trips to the garage every few weeks.

Octavia is ace if you need to lug stuff about. I don't get the boring thing-i find pretty much anything family sized made after 1990 boring as fuck, the octavia is no better or worse. I'd go mad if it was my only car though.

Parts are cheap and there's plenty of online resources for when they go tits up. I thought about selling mine but its worth nothing so I'll run it til it dies. Mines an slx with lumbar support etc, I can drive it for 3 hours and get out with no pain.

205 turbo diesels are great little cars, 306 turbo diesels are great medium sized cars. They both have the magic peugeot handling and ride, but in my experience 306s need a bit more spending on them to keep them MOTd; they seem to wear out suspension bushes etc and a lot of them will have a fucked rear beam

I ran a 306 na dizzler for 10k and it was ace there mega simple as well, electrics on them are easily sorted and parts are dirt cheap, there a bit more civilised than a 205 td and a 306 td has a taller 5th gear I think. I think the zx looks more attractive so find a nice one and keep it till the apocalypse comes.

I wouldn't have one of them celicas, I had a 2001 mr2 with the same engine and there a dog of a engine in later life with piston ring problems, burning oil etc etc etc , they do a nice 37mpg and the rest of the car is ok, I am not sure if the 190bhp engine had the same problems as the 140bhp my mr2 had.

I do like the 306s. They ride well, handle well, look more stylish than the ZX (sorry ZX fans) and are pretty robust. Iffy electrics (especially going to the doors) the only real bugbear. A 306 DTurbo is still the second car I've done most miles in after the 2CV - 40,000 in mine before boredom finally set in. 

Octavia is ace if you need to lug stuff about. I don't get the boring thing-i find pretty much anything family sized made after 1990 boring as fuck, the octavia is no better or worse. I'd go mad if it was my only car though.

Parts are cheap and there's plenty of online resources for when they go tits up. I thought about selling mine but its worth nothing so I'll run it til it dies. Mines an slx with lumbar support etc, I can drive it for 3 hours and get out with no pain.

Fair point about most cars being dull, but mine was also the SLX with lumbar support and there just wasn't enough legroom for my lanky legs. 

Merc - I find my w202 quite relaxing to drive. Some of the petrol ones aren't horrendous on fuel, my mate used to get 37mpg out of his 2.6 w202. The 2.3 and kompressor ones are better on fuel with reasonable powah/comfort.

Is it just rust that's the killer on them, or do they have other weak points too?  It doesn't exactly light my fire but I imagine it could be alright to doze off in on the way to work.

rover 75, in a diesel flavour, or if you can cope with a harsh ride, an mg zt?

MG Rover for a reliable, long commute.  Hmmmm.  Plus I don't get on with the looks.

I ran a 306 na dizzler for 10k and it was ace there mega simple as well, electrics on them are easily sorted and parts are dirt cheap, there a bit more civilised than a 205 td and a 306 td has a taller 5th gear I think. I think the zx looks more attractive so find a nice one and keep it till the apocalypse comes.

I wouldn't have one of them celicas, I had a 2001 mr2 with the same engine and there a dog of a engine in later life with piston ring problems, burning oil etc etc etc , they do a nice 37mpg and the rest of the car is ok, I am not sure if the 190bhp engine had the same problems as the 140bhp my mr2 had.

From my extensive* internet reading the 140bhp engines up to 2002 burn oil, facelifted ones or the 190bhp are better.