Rusty Old Rubbish, a shite blog (11 Nov - put it in H!)

quicksilver

It's been a while but I managed to squeeze in one final unsung hero before the year is out. Something completely unlike a Gordon-Keeble, this time I'm looking at the Skoda Favorit and what it did to change Skoda's image: http://rustyoldrubbish.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/unsung-heroes-skoda-favorit.html

And now for something completely different as I reveal another dream car: the supercharged V8 version of the MG ZT. http://rustyoldrubbish.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/dream-cars-mg-zt-385.html

Nice read! I have a ZT260 and it is a great Q car, love mine, but things do have a habbit of falling off sometimes! And some of the parts are bespoke & out of stock, but the noise it makes is fantastic!

Rawy

Guest Breadvan72

First with ABS too I think. Dunlop made the system if memory serves.

Dunlop MaxAret, it was called.  The FF was a wizzo car, way ahead of its time in terms of safety.  Stiff chassis and thick steel bodies made Interceptors and FFs rather more crashworthy than their contemporaries.  Phacktoid, IIRC, the brake vacuum system ran through the chassis, so, if it rotted, the brakes stopped working.

• 2 weeks later...

All this recent talk of Lady Penelope and FAB1 made me think of my own six-wheeled dream car. A bit of an odd choice but you have to love it for its sheer vulgarity, I give you the Panther Six: http://rustyoldrubbish.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/dream-cars-panther-six.html

Here's something of interest to BL fans, an alternative reality that would have seen a whole range of Maxis at the core of the range and to me makes much more sense than what happened in real life. This whole scenario is based on things that did actually or potentially exist and came about for two reasons really:

1. Owning a Maxi and pondering why it wasn't a greater success, then realising the 1800 Landcrab was pointless once the Maxi 1750 came along.

2. Spending far too much time on AROnline, making a few connections between the various things I've read and creating a whole new range that's completely different but I think entirely plausible.

What do you think of my ideas? Comments on this one are particularly welcome! Read all about it here: http://rustyoldrubbish.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/making-more-of-maxi.html

Interesting reading.....However, by the time the Maxi itself was released it was already perceived as a five-year old design by virtue of its obvious grafting from Landcrab DNA.   Could this basic frame have taken BL into the mid-Seventies?      

Maybe.    

I think you are right in pointing out the trick that was missed with the Maxi.   Here was a five-door, FWD, 5 speed hatchback years before Vauxhall, Ford, or Chrysler-Rootes dealerships could offer what actually turned out to be the standard-issue format of the following decades.    

Unfortunately BL thinking seem to unravel after about 1970.

Interesting reading.....However, by the time the Maxi itself was released it was already perceived as a five-year old design by virtue of its obvious grafting from Landcrab DNA.   Could this basic frame have taken BL into the mid-Seventies?      

Maybe.    

I think you are right in pointing out the trick that was missed with the Maxi.   Here was a five-door, FWD, 5 speed hatchback years before Vauxhall, Ford, or Chrysler-Rootes dealerships could offer what actually turned out to be the standard-issue format of the following decades.    

Unfortunately BL thinking seem to unravel after about 1970.

I reckon it could have worked with a clever reskin to hide the Landcrab origins or at least make them less obvious. Doing something with those doors would make a big difference and I'm sure David Bache or Harris Mann could have knocked something up. I think the Kimberley looks quite acceptable for the mid-late 70s.

I've extended things a bit by suggesting getting Michelotti to style the Triumph versions using the same platform but with a different appearance. They would need their own names so I've suggested Triumph Vitesse for the 1750 and Triumph Vanguard for the 2600, while the Triumph version of the Allegro could be a new Herald.

I think the Kimberley looks quite acceptable for the mid-late 70s.

I've extended things a bit by suggesting getting Michelotti to style the Triumph versions using the same platform but with a different appearance. They would need their own names so I've suggested Triumph Vitesse for the 1750 and Triumph Vanguard for the 2600, while the Triumph version of the Allegro could be a new Herald.

Agree on the Kimberley comparison.   The look may have even weathered the coke bottle craze.  If you look at what Ford did with the Mk IV Cortina which returned to a more "Mk2'ish"  profile as did the contemporary Datsuns...... 

Not sure about the Triumph extension, I think RWD was pretty much de-rigeur for BMW chasing which is where the Dolly/sixes were pointing by this time.  Imagine the change of fortune had Triumph been around to pitch a viable 3 series alternative at the right time....

Seems to me that BL were the mad-house of the industry (in a good way) who would actually embrace different thinking and make something slightly more interesting; this was backed by the research they did into automobile engineering. Rootes could offer something else more ordinary but still different at least until Chrysler takeover. Ford and Vauxhall in the UK were always very conservative and followed age-old engineering practices, probably due to their U.S. masters. If you look at the T.V. adverts of the 70s the BL ads are (deliberately) like a comedy show whereas the other manufacturers are all serious! Perhaps BL were past caring by this stage?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen a good few of them here over the years; japanese imports were very common here in the 80s and 90s

The 112mph top speed equates to a (removable) 180km/h per hour limiter; really common on JDM cars

It's Starlet GTs and Glanzas that really are common (and completely overrated shite)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I seem not to have updated this thread for 2 months even though new things have been written - not sure how that happened.

The Septics think it's one of the worst cars in the world but if that's true why was it also the most successful model in its series? I'm talking about my latest unsung hero, the good old Triumph TR7.

• 1 month later...

In all the excitement of rescuing the Renault, the poor old Maxi has been a bit overlooked recently. We've now had it a whole year so here's a brief update on what's happened in that time (not a lot really as it just keeps doing its thing): https://rustyoldrubbish.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/a-year-of-maxi-ing.html

Micra article has just made for a good lunchtime read. I wonder if I have anything about it within a JDM brochure?........

This purposeful-looking K10 pre-dates the Super Turbo, it seems to have gained extra power by the classic method of chucking in a bigger engine:

4224812494_2735acb5c0_o.jpg

Nissan March Super Silhouette (Micra K10) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I was so genuinely amazed to discover you can still buy a brand new Suzuki Jimny to the same 20-year old design that I've decided to nominate it for the return of the unsung heroes series: http://rustyoldrubbish.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/unsung-heroes-suzuki-jimny.html

• 3 weeks later...

Two new pieces this week! Firstly another dream car. Who wouldn't want to be able to say they had a Wankel engine, but there are plenty of other reasons to love the NSU Ro80 too.

And something completely different. Inspired by RoadworkUK's post in the gameshite thread I've downloaded the comically shite Ford Simulator from my childhood and given it a review.

Seems to me that BL were the mad-house of the industry (in a good way) who would actually embrace different thinking and make something slightly more interesting;

Just spotted the car in the top RHS corner of the set of nice at the end of this Youtube video... what is it? An Innocenti Mini or something else more interesting from the BL mad-house?

post-22262-0-82662300-1510954309_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...