UK shite Over There.

MrDuke

The importer was Malcolm Bricklin who was a sort of Delorean lite sort of character.

I fucking LOVE the Bricklin SV-1, its a dream car to import if I ever become a rich man. Please tell me something that there is not to like about this car:

Bricklin_SV-1_AMI.jpg

Gullwing doors - Check

V8 engines - Check

Hideous colour schemes as standard - Check

Overheating problems - Check

This topic reminded me of a guy I used to work with who worked for ARG marketing in the 1980s. When I expressed interest in this, he bought in some of his souvenirs, which included a Montego brochure for the Middle Eastern market!

Models offered were the posher 1.6 and 2.0 ones, basically Vdp spec but without that badging. I remember they all had standard A/C.

Can you imagine how gutless an R series 1.6 would be with the A/C running? The dashboard material would have a lifespan of a couple of months in that sun, and who would dare drive one into the desert without a Toyota as backup?

The brochure may have been a mock-up, don't know if they actually tried to sell them over there. Potential customers would be measured in low double figures at best...

Thanks to Richard for posting the Graffiti Minor still.....I have been banging on about that since the 70s.  It also appears parked by the curb, too.  Also, one of the main characters (Curt played by Richard Dreyfuss) drove a 2CV in the film!    In fact, Morris Minors were big in the States, so much so that the whole thing was frontally re-designed for their benefit.   Austin had a huge presence over there as well, probably why the Marina ended up with Austin tags.   I remember train-loads of BL Minis running through Southampton Docks in the 70s/80s - these had to be fitted Stateside with nerf bars to bring bumper contact height up to a uniform level.   Vauxhalls were sold, often badged as Envoy and Epic, by Buick dealers alongside Opels while US Ford dealers had Mk2 Cortina GTs on offer as "Model C" English Fords.   Canada was a huge British car market (it was a dominion until 1967) and a lot of that stuff probably filtered south of the border over time, too.     

In the US Vauxhall's were sold by Pontiac dealers, whilst Buick dealers had Opels.

Vauxhalls were quite popular in Canada, the last sold over there was the HC Viva, badged as a Pontiac by this time. Vauxhalls were also sold as Envoys in Canada, depending on which main US GM brand the dealer was representing.

Amusingly, Vivas were called the 'Epic'!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/02/curbside-classic-canadian-visitor-edition-1966-vauxhall-envoy-epic/

I went to a Fairport Convention gig in Sant Monica, California about twenty years ago. I knew I'd found the venue when I saw the parked Morris Traveller. Also saw a Minor van running around, written up for some garage business in L.A.

I saw several "prestige" type cars that still wore only UK number plates, although they were obviously residents, rather than tourist cars.

Last time I saw a Peugeot 604 was California. It was absolutely perfect in dark brown metallic and it was a Diesel!

Canada was a huge British car market (it was a dominion until 1967) and a lot of that stuff probably filtered south of the border over time, too.     

Saw a Hillman Imp on the Canadian side of the Niagra Falls, near Victoria Park, at the zebra crossing where people actually stopped for you. And people say the Empire was a bad thing...

Vauxhall Firenzas were sold through Pontiac dealers in Canada.

The cars clearly weren't designed for harsh Canadian winters.  They were prone to overheating and many Firenzas, true to their name, actually caught on fire!

A group of unhappy Firenza owners initiated Canada's first-ever class action lawsuit.

http://www.autofocus.ca/news-events/features/the-firenza-fiasco-is-the-canadian-nader-corvair-affair-you-never-heard-about

When I lived on the East Coast of the USA in the mid-late 80s I saw very little UK shite apart from MG and Triumph sports cars and Sterling 800s, even on trips to other states. The few I saw were:

- Marina (sold as an Austin I believe)

- Avenger (sold as a Plymouth Cricket)

- Austin 1300 (Sold as Austin America)

- Rover 3500 SD1

Ford Capris and Mark 1 Fiestas were common but these would not have been UK-built.

The cars clearly weren't designed for harsh Canadian winters.  They were prone to overheating and many Firenzas, true to their name, actually caught on fire!

A group of unhappy Firenza owners initiated Canada's first-ever class action lawsuit.

http://www.autofocus.ca/news-events/features/the-firenza-fiasco-is-the-canadian-nader-corvair-affair-you-never-heard-about

I knew this story.

What always leaves me puzzled is that the Firenza made such headlines in Canada, while the really through and through lethal piece of shit in all automotive history,

the VW Beetle, went unscathed, sold better than all other imports combined and became a cult object attracting not inconsiderable scene tax.

I mean, come on, one Canadian Winter with a Beetle must leave even the thoughest lumberjack a broken man, if he survived.

What was so different about Canadian market Firenzas? I don't remember these, magnums or vivas being a particularly bad car.

a few mark 1 focus saloons too.

i think the yanks still prefer saloons over a hatch back.

The Focus was built and sold in the States from the start, although they never got the second generation one, Ford US just restyled the first version and sold it until the launch of the third in 2010.

Someone just bought me the excellent photo book 'Uncommon Places' by Stephen Shore. It contains quite a bit of 'Import shite'...

This is a perfect example. Beverly Boulevard and La Brea Avenue, Los Angeles, 22nd June 1975

stephen-shore-06-22-75_5_beverlyblvd-lab

Another....Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. 13th August 1974.

320203.jpg

That was an actual Merkur?   Wow, super rare although the damn communists in California do seem to be more interested in chod that the rednecks down here on the 'third coast'.

Yip it was a Merkur Scorpio. Looked identical though other than the badges.

There was tons of old unexpected chod out there only slow wit and poor photo skills stopped me getting more pictures.