Look what i found in the scrappie yesterday...

mk3dave

The yard is just outside chichester in a place called Eastergate.

Also found these in the same yard, both very tidy and very complete,

Posted Image

Posted Image

There was also a Lada Riva estate and a saab-v4 (is that a 96?)

In a yard just up the road, found these,

Posted Image

1.6 LS

Posted Image

3.0 Ghia, unfinished project by the looks of things.

i cant believe someone would junk a mk2 capri 3 litre ghia.... they are rare as hens teeth now, surely would have found a home if it was an abandoned resto.Looks like its acquired a fair bit of yard damage now though :(Both it , the MG and the tidy mk1 sierra have been de-registered from the DVLA which means basically theres no way they could be put back on the road

Guest greenvanman

Both it , the MG and the tidy mk1 sierra have been de-registered from the DVLA which means basically theres no way they could be put back on the road

Is it not possible to re-register them in the same way as a car that's lost it's documentation & gets put on an age-related plate, or is this a completely different scenario?

Is it not possible to re-register them in the same way as a car that's lost it's documentation & gets put on an age-related plate, or is this a completely different scenario?

The only thing I can think of is you might need an Engineer's report to make sure it's safe.This sort of thing was done to stop write-offs appearing on the road or being 2 cars badly welded together. On the flipside, that Maestro would probably be written off for the value of a scratched bumper and smashed headlight so the system isn't always right

The yard is just outside chichester in a place called Eastergate.

Another local! Welcome...It's funny, I can't view the pictures from work but when you mentioned that a trophy car is usually parked out front, I got a mental image of Eastergate Car Spares without knowing it was there you were talking about! Haven't been past it for a few months though since we moved house.

Welcome to the mad house (the shite house?)Quality Mk1 Sierra there - why's that even scrapped - looks like a saver. It's also in an excellently shite colour.Oh, there's some shitey old shitroen there too. :P - Thing is, I seriously doubt that SM is waiting for the crusher - I think they have it waiting for the right moment to make some coin from it in some way.. looks like it's not actually sitting on top of the Mondeo estate but on some raised rig thing - looks to be on the jacking points too - I think they're protecting it from dents as they know the parts at least can be sold for some fairly high returns.. I woould not be surprised if they want several grand for it upon enquiry! However I would shit myself if they said "£50 - we don't know what to do with it mate.."

Love the period "now we're motoring!" Austin rover sticker in the maestro window :lol:The fact that those cars have been taken of the dvla register usually means the scrapyard has registered them as destroyed and once thats happened DVLA will not let you put it back on the roadThere was a story in classic car weekly a couple of weeks ago where a bloke had bought a tidy rover which had been declared scrapped at some point, its absolutely mint, but the DVLA will flatly not re issue a log book for it.The only way round it is ringing.

Both it , the MG and the tidy mk1 sierra have been de-registered from the DVLA which means basically theres no way they could be put back on the road

Surely must still be some mechanism by which you could punt an ID-less car through an SVA and license it on a Q-reg, assuming enough proof of legitimate ownership? Used to see loads of stolen-recovereds which'd had that treatment.

Great first (ish) post! Like most yard these days, most of the cars are insurance write-offs, or have been involved in fatal/serious crashes so they might be a bit weary of the registration plates being 'published' - I guess the main issue would be the possiblilty of ID theft being used on a badly repaired clone, but that SM is truly a unique find. The car suffered an engine fire which must be the main reason why it ended up here, but its got to be worth restoring from scratch. I'd wack a Turbo Diesel engine from a 306, run it on veggy oil and take it to a Maserati owners club and smirk a lot.

Surely must still be some mechanism by which you could punt an ID-less car through an SVA and license it on a Q-reg, assuming enough proof of legitimate ownership? Used to see loads of stolen-recovereds which'd had that treatment.

No, the rules were changed to specifically prevent this with the four categories of scrap cars. Cat A is for metal only, i.e. fire damaged and stripped shells. Cat B is unrepairable and to be sold only to licenced breakers to strip for parts. Both these are blocked from being re-registered through reg and VIN number. Cat C and D are allowed to return to the road, C needing a VIC check to prevent ringing and D just needs the log book applying for.The only thing you could do is to take a B car, totally strip the shell and remove the VIN and treat it as a 'new' shell, applying a generic VIN to give them something to put on the form. However when you come to register it as though you'd bought a shell from a parts dealer, you'd need to forge receipts for the shell to show the VIC man, and basically you're still altering the VIN to disguise the cars past so you're back into dodgy ground.

Same yard has a maser bi-turdo round the back. Front end biff needing rads n front panel- £695. No neg.Also a reasonable late XJS.£1500.I've tried to extract several times- butpricing seems ''optimistic'' -and the stuff sticks. Try taking stuffinthough- totally different story.Another local yard, Harris' has a neat Saab softop with very limited panel damage, but cant/wont sell cos Assesssor declared B cat. Its not even a weekends work!! Lets hope this Crunch ease such daftness