Pre 1985 motor: What can I get in VGC for £2000?

Split_Pin

I'm thinking about changing my Astra Coupe for something more interesting whilst its still got MOT. Just pie in the sky for now like.

I reckon £2k is about way I'll get as its only got 63k, is immaculate and has decent modifications.

I've totally lost touch with old car prices these days, everything seems expensive, scene, OSF etc. I'm looking for something pre 85, needing no work with MOT and that looks presentable.

Is there anything out there? Ideally pre 80, no Maestros, Montegos, MK2 Polos or Japanese post 80 stuff. No Vauxhalls, had lots, got one already.

I like Volvos up to 1990ish, anything European?

LOST.

What are nyou planning to use it for? Daily driver or weekend fun? Do you do a lot of long distance driving? Will it be your only car?

If you aren't relying on it as transport then the world is pretty much your oyster. There are a hell of a lot of interesting-ish old cars in budget to choose from, but if you want something robust enough to survive the daily commute you might be more limited. Obviously anything can be used for any purpose, but something 40 years old 'needing no work' is going to wear out if driven everyday so you have to be prepared for annoying and seemingly random mechanical failures. And you can't just pop to eurocarparts or whatever to get bits.

I'd suggest something British as spares and knowledge will be more easily available. Something like a Herald would be good - easy to drive, keeps up with modern traffic, almost every bit available off the shelf and simple enough for any decent mechanic to sort. £2000 will get a tidy saloon in good health.