DS20's dieselbrick 10/04 MUCH SADNESS

DS20

Ahh yes... our monthly dinner meeting place offers a fried egg on just about everything for 50p. It results in daftness like getting double burgers with two fried eggs, cheese and onion rings (my preference) or Spiny Norman and his three egg on gammon spectacular.

whens the next one when its not winter :D

Well. I'll put a fuel filter on the 'to do' list; although the amount of smoke it kicks out makes me think that fuel is getting through just fine, but that air might be the problem (turbot / intercooler). A can of Seafoam is going in the next tank of fuel.

Check all hoses, small and large going to the turbo, it could be  a split intercooler or vac hose, I'd also check the actuator moves.

Worst case you may have a knackered turbo ... on these I can't see them being too difficult to replace or rebuild, as long as you can get the damn thing off.

Have fuel filter, will change it and see what happens :) 

I'm about to change the oil on the car; it's on ramps, and I'm looking around for the sump plug but can't seem to find it; I'd be v grateful for any pointers as to where it is, and what tool I might need to undo it.  I'm looking for something like I'd find on the Saab - that is, a bolt in the bottom of the sump that is undone and oil comes out, but there's no reason to assume the Volvo will be the same.  

That round object 2/3 way up the photograph on the right hand side is indeed the sump plug - it's on the back, and takes a six-sided thingummy to undo it. Oil is now draining, thank goodness, although it's a bit too windy for tidy sump-clearage.  Never mind, it's dark so I won't be able to see the oil spatters :) 

Now for the oil filter.  

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE 

After tackling the turbot, which wasn't adding much to the car's performance, it turns out that the vacuum hose thing that govern the actuator was U/S (completely gunged up with gunge).  It's been cleaned up, and as a precaution, the turbo given to an ACTUAL MECHANIC, who has pronounced it to be in good health otherwise.  Which is a miracle, given the state of the oil and so on.  So, although it has turned out to be a messy and slightly time-consuming job, it could have been an awful lot worse (like replacement turbo time).  Fingers crossed that it'll be back to some sort of working order.  

In other news, the brake fluid has been renewed and bled.  It wasn't a great colour coming out, I have to say.  

Sorry for no pics, though - it was getting dark and too cold!  

• 4 weeks later...

The bad news: although the turbo spins nicely on its bearings, and the oil seals aren't jiggered, and there's vacuum where there needs to be vacuum, the turbo isn't doing anything.  Garage's verdict: jiggered vanes.  2.3/10.  

The good news: coolant, fuel filter, brake fluid have been changed.  The brakes are now more effective and more even in their operation (previously it felt as though sometimes there was servo assistance, and sometimes there wasn't).  For such a heavy car, it's reassuring to have good stoppers.  A new aerial has been fitted, which means functional radio reception.  And the driver's seat is now adjustable (don't ask).  

The puzzling news: on checking the tyre pressures this evening, there was massive variation.  Offside front: 40psi.  Offside rear: 33psi.  Nearside rear: 9psi (really not good).  Nearside front: 33psi.  They are now all as they should be, but I'll be keeping a closer eye on the nearside rear tyre as that sort of low reading shouts slow puncture / leaky valve.  The tyres on the rear axle are Runways, with sidewalls so stiff that there was barely any visible difference between the 33psi tyre and the 9psi tyre.  

The mediocre news: over the last tank (350 miles), the dieselbrick averaged 30.5mpg, which isn't brilliant - although the freezing temperatures and the U/S turbo won't be helping matters.  

The more I drive it, the more I'm impressed with the comfort and the ride/handling balance.  The seats are ace, it's GR9 for towing (even with the lack of turbo), and the loadspace is properly useful.  

These use a garret t3 which is pretty common, I'm pretty sure you can get rebuild kits for them.

Rebuilding turbos is not really difficult, do a Google on it, there's loads of info out there. However if the vanes are knackered (not heard that one before) you'll likely need a new spindle. If you can find the exact turbo model maybe a s/h one can be sourced for not too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Well...due to weather, work, time constraints, the alignment of the stars and other EXCUSES, the dieselbrick is still running around turboless. The renewed fuel filter has improved performance a bit, and the brakes are definitely better for the brake fluid being changed. Which is good.

Today, I went to the tip (well, the one at Immingham), to dispose of an utterly borked 2-metre-high IKEA bookcase. The 940 swallowed it happily; I'm beginning to appreciate what a very useful car this is.

post-17913-142508076445_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

After a couple of months of unremarkable part-time usage, the dieselbrick has been much busier over the past couple of days, covering Many miles across the East Midlands shifting furniture.  But this afternoon, about five miles short of home, the Volvo suddenly lost all power.  After coasting to a halt at a lay-by, I discovered the following things: oil level good; coolant level good (and no contamination); engine seized; no surprise holes in crankcase / other ominous signs.  Would not turn over, would not be bump-started, would not be 'pushed' into motion in any gear.  A nice RAC man arrived, agreed with the diagnosis of seized engine, and (because it has a manual transmission) towed me to my friendly garage.  This was the first time I'd been towed by means of a solid bar, and although it was ok, I was pleased that it wasn't dark, and that we were on roads I know well.  At one point we hit a dizzying* 36mph.  On arrival at the garage at just-before-closing-time, their initial thought was that it's curtains for the engine, but I will know more next week.  

post-17913-0-88625100-1428704327_thumb.jpg  

post-17913-0-91889700-1428704433_thumb.jpg  

It doesn't look good: seized engine in a very tired bodyshell, in a car that's worth £1000 if perfect in every way = almost certain scrappage.  And only 252 miles short of the quarter-million. Bugger :(