samba rallye. updated images! Tue 6/6/18. rimmage !

Faker

• 2 years later...

A mate from the IMP Club, around '85/6, bought a 998rally spec imp, built up into an unused shell.

Pink_1.jpg

Pink_2.jpg

KOE_8.jpg

He later traded it to Ernie Larton, at LAD, and got a Samba rallye.... so I heard anyway.

I had a brand new red Samba 998 *954LE - totally $hite. (BTW... I didn't pay for it!!)

*Saucey Ta!

TS

Oh!! Any pics?! Where'd it go?! Is it still about??

All 3 of my Sambas are long gone I'm afraid. RIJ 576 was a 1.1GL in gold that was a bit crusty. AXI 5727 was a 954cc LE in red, and was mintola. I had a blue one for parts as well that was given to me for nothing, provided we went and got it pronto. Towed it from Whitehead to Carrick with the LE which was a mission, as the car was stuffed full of bits as well, and was very heavy.

When me and my mate started examining the parts in the back of it, none of them were for a Samba!

​There's defo some photos somewhere, especially of the red one. We're talking 1990-92, so pre digital. I took quite a few of the car, as I did various things to it. MG Metro rear spoiler, Colt Celeste bonnet scoop and some dinky wee three stud alloys from a Citroen LN (I think!). There used to be a Peugeot Talbot parts place in Newtownabbey called Bairds, and they got me the P-T racing stripes and the black overlay for the bootlid. I originally wanted just to get a new one, but they got me a Samba GLS one by mistake. I used it anyway.

​The seats from the GL found their way into the LE, and looked good with the red. I always wanted to get a later dashboard with the high up radio, but never managed to find one.

I did paint the bumpers body colour, and they looked brilliant. For ONE day. Peeled off in huge chunks, most embarrassing. Rat look before it was a thing.

I really must find those photos. They'll be among the several thousand in my parents' house, no doubt.

• 1 year later...