MOT shook my car

Chas4545

It's an ATL (automatic test lane) it has "shaker plates" this shakes the wheels to replace the shake n brake boy that would normally sit in it.

Contentious way of testing but legal and vosa/DVSA approved

This method can make some wear look worse than it is and on certain cars it doesn't show up the wear that having an assistant would (Bmws I think)

It's an ATL (automatic test lane)

Really? Not heard of that before. Whatever next?

Car gets shaken, prodded by robot toffee hammers? The rust/scale that falls off is automatically weighed? Synthesised voice saying "rotten as a pear mate/yer will need sum shocks/needs tyres" depending on what the outlet actually provides? That is progress*

I think the first ATL's came out in 2007, seen more from 2010 onwards.

They cost more but in a big garage with lots of wages to pay, it means a fitter doesn't keep getting called away to assist.

The other expensive bit with ATL' s is the ground under the ramp has to be a lot stronger, so an ATL will cost you quite a few grand in ground works as you have to use c3 grade concrete and re bars to take the forces

Oh, I seem to be totally wrong, its just once I had an exhaust bit fitted and as they were lowering the car from above head level they stopped it 5 times or so suddenly with a jerk and they took great pleasure in telling me I needed a full set of shockers for the mot cos the car bounced.

NO FOOKIN SHIT SHIRLOCK.....................You'll bounce if you do that to my car again.

Well I never! Learn something every day etc..

My local MOT place still uses the "Stuartgetyerfuckinarseoverere" system. No C3 concrete or rebars needed. Much cheaper I imagine!

Concrete never gets sick or needs a day off to go to it's cement mixer's funeral.

Dunno about ATL's but they've had those "move around all over the place and try and rip a wheel off" plates here for years. Oh, and they test the brake fluid (Oi, what the 'eck you sticking in my brake fluid? What else has it been dipped in?!)

Oh, I seem to be totally wrong, its just once I had an exhaust bit fitted and as they were lowering the car from above head level they stopped it 5 times or so suddenly with a jerk and they took great pleasure in telling me I needed a full set of shockers for the mot cos the car bounced.

NO FOOKIN SHIT SHIRLOCK.....................You'll bounce if you do that to my car again.

They'd have a fit if they were testing my 2CV then...

It's an ATL (automatic test lane) it has "shaker plates" this shakes the wheels to replace the shake n brake boy that would normally sit in it.

Contentious way of testing but legal and vosa/DVSA approved

This method can make some wear look worse than it is and on certain cars it doesn't show up the wear that having an assistant would (Bmws I think)

Chrysler 300 tension struts can rattle their tits off on the road and not even get an advise after one man shaker MOT. I knew something was wrong on mine and couldn't find what it was,so thought; I'll let the MOT man diagnose it when he fails it . Sailed through, no advises.

A week later when I finally sussed it and changed them , the bushes had actually disintegrated and fallen out at one end.

I might be wrong but arnt these shaker jobbies the norm in N. Ireland 

Yep. All the test centres were mechanised/computerised at around the same time. It took longer than expected, and there was a backlog of cars needing tests. therefore, exemption certificates were issued. IIRC my C280 went 16 months between tests.

Any amount of shaking on a one man test machine or jerking a car when it's coming down on a ramp absolutely pales in comparison to what it'll get on even a reasonable road, and it certainly won't rattle bulbs so much that they blow all of a sudden. I've been sat in cars while they were up there and it's really not that much of a wobble.

These systems are used all over Europe and while they might look a bit violent to the uninitiated, it's absolutely fuck all stress on the motor.