CHEAPEST CAR YOU HAVE EVER OWNED

Rustycarlover

I only started buying cars recently and it seems that nowadays you can't actually buy cheap cars like you used to. My cheapest was a rover 420 bought for £110 including delivery then scrapped 2 days later for £117 and a 1993 mazda 121 £110

Maybe those days of cheap cars will come back ?

Post your cheapest bangers

I'm getting back into selling cars again and it does seem most cheap cars have gone as people now know that they can scrap them and get paid. A few years ago you had to pay them and cars were for nothing.

Anyway as for cheap cars, I have free* ones as we had a family car pitch. Least I've paid myself was £40 in about 1997 for a very nice white mk1 1983 fiesta. Didn't have it that long as I was a naughty boy with no driving licence :-)

The swift was cheapish at £117.88 would have got it for a lot less but the owner had already been offered £90 in scrap

In 2001 I was a Cab driver using a 94 Montego 2.0 diesel to earn my daily bread.

Whilst it was off the road for pretty major work I bought an A registered Nova 2 door saloon with 3 weeks MOT and a weeks tax (back when you could buy tax with a car, seems a distant dream now) for £25, reduced from 40 from the garage that was fixing my Montego!

Kept it for 5 days and sold it for £40, best thing was it had half a tank of fuel in it, l found out later the garage fixing my car had sold the Nova owner an Orion for £800 and the purchaser thought that included a Px allowance for the Nova so the garage kept quiet and palmed it off on the first likely idiot to look gormless enough to buy it.

I've said before about the Passat estate I bought at a car auction for a quid with tax and test, a tank full of petrol and no faults other than the previous owners inability to clean it.

Also bought a 2CV for £20 which I ran for ages when I was at uni in the 90's, dreadful heap which I utterly adored!

Bought a Saab off a skint mate for £15 with tandt and that was brilliant.

I've hardly ever srapped a car and (passat excepted) the above were sold for a decent profit!

paid 50quid for a 309 pug,about 12 years ago,  It had about 8 months mot but overheated after about 25 miles, I was only learning to drive so it was no real problem :)

also had a very tidy 1.8 sierra, paid £150, with a months ticket, re moted it, used for 6 months and flogged it for £150... 

Cheapest car I had was my Black 1989 F-plate Ford Sierra Sapphire Ghia:

MySierraSapphireGhia.jpg

Not actual car but exactly like it.

Must have been about 22 when I got it for £NOWT. Ran it for a bit on the insurance of the family friend who gave it to me as back then I could drive any other insured vehicle (a loophole which has since been closed up) and ran until Insurance, tax and MOT were all up. I couldn't afford all 3 and I had nowhere to put it. Sadly had sell it to the scrappy for £20, still got the wheels though. I really wished I knew then about renting a lock-up, it might still be here.

My current Merc is potentially the next cheapest, so far it cost me £250, £15 admin fee for insurance transfer, £F***All for MOT, and pocket money for most of the stuff I've got for it so far. But we'll have to wait and see...

I've had a few freebees.  From memory - Maestro 1.3 City in navy blue with fucked engine mount; Rover 216 Vanden Plas EFi auto in gold with tan leather; Y reg Bedford HA van which I never did manage to get running; F reg Nissan Sunny 1.6 Coupe; Citroen AX 10E with 3 months' rent still on it that I used as my daily until it ran out.  There's probably been more, but those are all that spring to mind.